Salzberg at Christmas 2016 (opinions)

BBJ

The wife and I last night booked a Christmas Holiday to Salzberg, as we want our daughter to experience the snow, markets and festive spirit. And after reading reviews is seems an ideal place to experience Christmas. Skiing isn't an interest as our daughter will be 4 years old come the time, but other activities such as sledding will hopefully be an experience for her. However, from anyone that has been or has experience, is there a best time to go. We have booked from the 22nd Dec 2016 for 6 nights, but I am reading reviews that the Christmas markets, which seems to be a major attraction, are closed on the 24th, yet other say they remain open Are we better going on the 20th for instance to make sure?

Additionally, if you have a family and have been, is it good for young kids? We have booked a hotel in the old town.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by BBJ

I think you were going to Salzburg! I hope you ended up in the right place.

Thank for the correction, most helpful! But do you mean END up in the right place! And, I think you ARE going!

Edited by BBJ

I guess it is quite unlikely that you get much first hand information about Salzburg (Austria) in the Thai travel forum and even more an English language forum.

Of course Salzburg is one of the top tourist destination in the alps if not to say in Europe.

Unfortunately I never made it there although for a short time as a kid lived as close as 40 miles from there (in Germany).

No question it is an atmospheric and culture rich place all year round and distances to snow/mountain resorts are short.

Its the endpoint of a freeway from Munich Germany, very popular for weekend trips from there (and up to the skiing resorts).

I assume you don't travel there from Thailand (?) for a six day excursion but from somewhere in Europe?

"Salzberg": there is an "Obersalzberg". But that is a completely separate story about the dark times of Germany whistling.gif

Also just a short trip from Salzburg.

"Salz": many names in the region are related to salt as it was a major region for salt mines in the past and source of big wealth.

Cross your fingers that next Christmas there will not be such an abnormal weather pattern than 2015 (up to now).

All green, no snow except for the highest mountain regions.

Winter sports on artificial paths within the green.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I have been to Salzburg several times and it is one of the most beautiful cities in Austria but I never saw anything that would have interested children

It is on the German border so day trips to Berchtesgaden to see Hitler's famous "eagles nest" are available but you don't indicate if you are going to be using public transport or renting a car

If I were to have children I would be taking them to Vienna where there are a lot more activities for the younger ones

And yes, the Christmas Markets would be in full swing on the, 22nd, 23rd or early on the 24th (one can assume that the times below will be the same for Christmas 2016)

Between the Getreidegasse and the Griesgasse, you can find a Christmas market of a special kind, brought into being for your pleasure in the lovingly decorated Sternarkaden.
Here children and adults experience an advent that could hardly be imagined as being any calmer, more delightful to the senses and more exquisite than it is.It is a place for beautiful things, for a festive mood, for old customs and for youthful cheerfulness.

Sun-Thur 10.30 am - 7 pm, Fri & Sat 10.30 am - 8.30 pm, Dec. 24 & 31, 10.30 am - 3 pm (Closed: Dec. 25, 2015)

source: http://www.salzburg.info/en/art_culture/events_calendar/stern-advent-market_va-1103773