Suvarnabhumi Not As Bad As Publicity

bobrcb

I have just returned from Thailand, and my first experiences with Suvarnabhumi Airport. My trip involved direct transit from London to Chiang Mai, arrival as a domestic passenger, meeting domestic and international arriving passengers and departing as an international passenger, so I encountered most of the areas that the average airport user will experience. I list below my experiences, and where possible my advice to ease you on your way.

5 October. Arrived about 15.00 hrs from London Heathrow with connecting flight to Chiang Mai at 17.15 hrs. Baggage checked through for Immigration/Customs clearance at Chiang Mai. I had heard many stories of lost baggage, so it was to my great joy that I saw my bag on the carousel at Chiang Mai, as I queued to have my passport stamped at Chiang Mai airport. At Bangkok, I was pleasantly surprised to find both International and Domestic flights operating from the same building. After exiting the flight from London, on the second floor, I followed the sign for transferring passengers which led to a shopping mall, where International passengers were directed to desks on the left and Domestic passengers to the right. I went to the Domestic check-in desk and it appears I was too early for my flight, so as a Gold card holder with Thai Airways, it was suggested I went up to their lounge on the third floor and return shortly before boarding time. As I followed the signs, I noticed a lot of building work going on in rooms off the corridor. Thai Airways lounge did not have connections for their computers, nor was there a flight indicator screen or a clock in their lounge. There is a flight indicator board just outside the lounge. After passing through the transfer area, I followed the stairs down to the gate for transfer to the aeroplane by bus. Fairly straightforward.

7 October. Arrived from Chiang Mai, slightly late at 18.45 hrs. Had to meet friend arriving from Yangon at 19.30 hrs. and another from Nakhon Si Thammarat at 20.45 hrs., so little scope for delays. It was a long walk from the gate to the baggage hall. Arriving at the baggage hall, I found that there were 5 baggage belts. Flight details were shown in large letters above the centre of each belt. I waited some 20 minutes, but no indication of the correct belt for my baggage. I walked around the hall, coming across a small television screen, showing belt details for all flights. My flight details were shown as belt 1. I walked towards that belt, which was still showing a different flight, but eventually my bag came up, even though my flight was still not showing above the belt. Advice, upon arrival in the baggage hall, first look for the small television screen, situated on the left, as you arrive in the baggage hall to check the correct belt for your flight and then just wait. After collecting my baggage and exiting through Gate A, I had to turn left toward the International arivals section, situated on the same floor. International passengers can exit through two different exits, B and C, some 5 minutes walk apart. I first reached exit B, which had a large arrivals screen above the exit door, and saw details of the Yangon flight above, showing the flight had arrived about 10 minutes earlier. I waited for about 10 minutes before going to the small Information Desk to the right of the exit area. I spoke to one of the ladies to confirm that passengers from Yangon would exit through B. She checked a flight list and thought it more likely to be exit C. I hurried along to C, finding an identical large arrivals screen above the exit, also showing the arrival of the Yangon flight. Eventually my friend appeared and we returned to exit A to await the arrival of my other friend, about a hour later. Although there are several outlets selling snacks and drinks opposite the exit from the baggage hall, none of these has seating. If you want to sit down for a meal or drink whilst awaiting the arrival of someone, you need to go up to the third floor, either by a moving walkway, or by a lift to the right, as you face the exit from A. Advice for meeting passengers. All domestic passengers exit from A on the second floor. International passengers can exit from B or C, depending upon which belt their baggage arrives. Unfortunately, there is no information about this, or which exit passengers will exit from anywhere in the waiting area, so I suggest you consult the information desk outside B. There is not an information desk outside C. Next job was transport to our hotel. As we were 3 passengers with 4 large bags, we opted to use the AOT limousine, which cost 1100 baht to Sukhumvit 4 and took about 45 minutes. Their desks are situated outside the various exit areas. Other taxis are available outside the First floor exit below.

12 October. Departure to London. I opted to go to the airport by hotel taxi - cost 680 baht, 200 more than to Don Muang. Local taxi meters should cost 300-400 baht, but it can prove difficult to persuade a driver to take you. Arriving at the airport, the taxi was directed to the middle lane. It was necessary to cross the road towards the building to collect a baggage trolley. Check-in procedures were fairly simple for Thai Airways. Business and First Class passengers check in at desks in section 2, whilst economy passengers, including Gold card holders, check in at section 4. Baggage is no longer security checked before checking in for your flight. After checking in with the airline, pay your Airport Tax, still 500 baht, at a desk just outside Passport control, clear Immigration and you are in the shopping mall. Airline lounges are to the left. Computers now operational in Thai Airways lounge.

My experiences at Suvarnabhumi have been fairly straightforward. Overall, I think that the set-up will be prove better than at Don Muang, as everything is in the same building, but this does mean a lot of walking. There is a shortage of seating in the waiting areas, and the airport authorities need to address the problem of how to indicate where arriving international passengers will appear. I hope my experiences will be helpful or those yet to use the facilities at the new airport.

Guys,

I have seen very little in recent days about the lack of toilet facilities. Has the situation improved since opening or should you not even think about going? Any observations appreciated. :D

It can't improve on the short or medium term. They'll need to build new ones and it will take time.

Up to then, you'd better go to toilet before landing... :o

Edited by Unknown

Guys,

I have seen very little in recent days about the lack of toilet facilities. Has the situation improved since opening or should you not even think about going? Any observations appreciated. :D

It can't improve on the short or medium term. They'll need to build new ones and it will take time.

Is the toilet problem as bad as everyone says? For example after a flight it is normal for several passengers to seek out a toilet after being in their seats for landing upto 45 minutes before descent.

I am sure I have read a thread indicating that there is only one crowded toilet at departures, but surely arrivals have public toilets near to each arrival 'tunnel-shute' otherwise kids, pensioners and those with weak bladders/bowels would be fouling themselves left, right and centre?

Guys,

Is the toilet problem as bad as everyone says? For example after a flight it is normal for several passengers to seek out a toilet after being in their seats for landing upto 45 minutes before descent.

I am sure I have read a thread indicating that there is only one crowded toilet at departures, but surely arrivals have public toilets near to each arrival 'tunnel-shute' otherwise kids, pensioners and those with weak bladders/bowels would be fouling themselves left, right and centre?

I've been to the airport four times since it opened and I never saw any restrooms with any lines or a single person waiting. And I checked restrooms on all levels landside as well as restrooms airside on both arrivals and departures. I'm sure there are people waiting at certain restrooms at certain times, but I never saw it, so I doubt it is a bad as some are saying. That being said, if you really have to go and there's a line, then any line is going to seem bad to you.

Edited by Soju

What about the air condition system today? Is it still switched off? :o

I'm someone who often complains about the lack of air conditioning when others think the temperature is fine. Certainly Suvarnabhumi wasn't cool by my standards, but it wasn't noticeably hot either on any of the times when I went through. Other than the TG lounge was a bit on the hot side. The departure hall was always at a very acceptable temperature to me. Maybe it depends on when you're there and how many other people are there, but certainly the air conditioning systems were working. I'd say the temperature was on-par with what I experienced at Don Muang - I'd prefer it to be a bit cooler, but it's certainly bareable. I haven't been there for 10 days now, so don't know if there's been any change during that time or not.

Somewhat related - the air conditioning on the buses that are commonly being used to bus passengers from aircraft remote parking to the terminal are horrible and totally unacceptable IMHO. The main problem there I think is that they pack as many people into the bus as possible, with some sitting and some standing so the people sitting are likely fine but the ones standing roast with the sun beating in the bus windows and no significant airflow in the top part of the bus.

What about the air condition system today? Is it still switched off? :o

I'm someone who often complains about the lack of air conditioning when others think the temperature is fine. Certainly Suvarnabhumi wasn't cool by my standards, but it wasn't noticeably hot either on any of the times when I went through. Other than the TG lounge was a bit on the hot side. The departure hall was always at a very acceptable temperature to me. Maybe it depends on when you're there and how many other people are there, but certainly the air conditioning systems were working. I'd say the temperature was on-par with what I experienced at Don Muang - I'd prefer it to be a bit cooler, but it's certainly bareable. I haven't been there for 10 days now, so don't know if there's been any change during that time or not.

Somewhat related - the air conditioning on the buses that are commonly being used to bus passengers from aircraft remote parking to the terminal are horrible and totally unacceptable IMHO. The main problem there I think is that they pack as many people into the bus as possible, with some sitting and some standing so the people sitting are likely fine but the ones standing roast with the sun beating in the bus windows and no significant airflow in the top part of the bus.

Thanks Soju for the info. It seens that the air conditioning has been much better since the first days after the opening then. :D

Thanks Soju for the info. It seens that the air conditioning has been much better since the first days after the opening then. :o

I was there in the first days after opening and I didn't notice any problems then, so not really sure what to make of it. Either there were on-and-off problems and I happened to be there during the periods of no problems, or the people complaining have even a lower tolerance to heat than me. Anyways, not enough information I guess to say for sure if there's been any change or not in the situation.

I've been to the airport four times since it opened and I never saw any restrooms with any lines or a single person waiting. And I checked restrooms on all levels landside as well as restrooms airside on both arrivals and departures.

Please give us a map because I did not do such an extensive survey and well, found few.

And the few I found were very small, by any standard, and hence not that clean... :o