Does the Premier League need a wninter break?

SantiSuk

I know the conservatives (technology - bah!) on here will give me a roasting, but I think its time the debate was reopened.

OK the weather in the UK appears to have been unremittingly carp throughout, but the quality of the football over those three holiday break games that I watched (must have been at least 10 games) was no advert for the traditionalist approach. Lots of tired legs and a distinct absence of the normal Premier League skills. That 3-4 game involving Everton was a stand-out exception - sorry forget details, must be too much festive alcohol!

I feel sorry for those who had to pay good money and endure the terraces.

I know that the biggest issue it poses is that it almost inevitably means cutting one or two teams from the league, but no reason not to consider again

Edited by SantiSuk

No break for me.

Why throw away a hugely entertaining and successful product, for what, to give one or two top teams a better chance of winning Champions League (it's not like we haven't won it before with no winter break) at the detriment of the other 18 teams or to give England a better chance (not interested in that and don't think it woukd have any positive affect on England's chances). Football over the festive period is much loved and liked, leave alone.

The only way I'd like to see a winter break, is as a way to push people for a short period to go watch a local Football League game, which would be great, but we know from the history behind the formattion of the Premier that the big 5 as was for instance are not charitable to the Football League teams so unlikely the big teams woukd go for that.

Leave well alone for me.

Am I allowed to chime in? :)

I'll take my point of view from following the Bundesliga about 20 years now...

While I wish there is no winter break ( from a fan point of view and club financials ), I think the winter break is good for the players.

The ever increasing intensity of the game, the increasing speed, the increasing physical shape a player has to be in must be VERY tiring. Not even to think of the mental pressure you're on.

After 4-6 months of constant playing ever 3-7 days does put a strain on a player ( just put yourself in that position for a moment and think about it... ). Getting a break after those 4-6 months must be very welcoming for the players, especially around the holidays when you can spend with the family and recharge.

Bundesliga get their break about 2 days before Christmas. Return back to training around 3rd or 4th of January and go ( usually ) somewhere warm to a training camp for 1-2 weeks. Then come back, have another week to prepare for the second half of the season. We do have a couple weeks of a "rough start", but by time the championsleague starts again, we're back 100% and ready to go another 6 months....including a major international tournament.

If the holiday games is so important for fans, start the winterbreak January 1st for 15 days or so. It might benefit the national team too and may make it more enjoyable to watch major tournaments ;)

Am I allowed to chime in? :)

While I wish there is no winter break ( from a fan point of view and club financials ), I think the winter break is good for the players.

The ever increasing intensity of the game, the increasing speed, the increasing physical shape a player has to be in must be VERY tiring. Not even to think of the mental pressure you're on.

After 4-6 months of constant playing ever 3-7 days does put a strain on a player ( just put yourself in that position for a moment and think about it... ). Getting a break after those 4-6 months must be very welcoming for the players, especially around the holidays when you can spend with the family and recharge.

Bundesliga get their break about 2 days before Christmas. Return back to training around 3rd or 4th of January and go ( usually ) somewhere warm to a training camp for 1-2 weeks. Then come back, have another week to prepare for the second half of the season. We do have a couple weeks of a "rough start", but by time the championsleague starts again, we're back 100% and ready to go another 6 months....including a major international tournament.

If the holiday games is so important for fans, start the winterbreak January 1st for 15 days or so. It might benefit the national team too and may make it more enjoyable to watch major tournaments ;)

Some of these players get paid 300,000 pounds per week !

As BB says, the European Cup/Champions League, was won on numerous occasions (5 times by us), without a winter break.

Get rid of the nonsensical international friendlies instead, which can cause serious injurys to many players.

Over a year, players get more holiday time than most working class citizens.

^Sorry but im not particularly bothered about the players in this as they are more than well recompensed for playing a sport that they love. Football is entertainment, and the great majority of football fans in England want festive football. I can agree that we play too many games over the period and dropping one game would seem fair and reasonable.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Am I allowed to chime in? smile.png

If the holiday games is so important for fans, start the winterbreak January 1st for 15 days or so. It might benefit the national team too and may make it more enjoyable to watch major tournaments wink.png

As BB says, the European Cup/Champions League, was won on numerous occasions (5 times by us), without a winter break.

Get rid of the nonsensical international friendlies instead, which can cause serious injurys to many players.

Yes, the do get a sh!tload of money and I think they are paid way too much, but that is a DIFFERENT topic. It is about if a winterbreak would be good for the league / players. With all the money in the world, they still can not buy much needed condition / rest.

Getting rid of international friendlies I think is wrong. It is a great way to test new players and strategies to prepare for qualifications and tournaments.

How much holiday does a football player get over a year period? I honestly do not know, but can't see them getting more than 30 days a year ( besides their usual days off ).

The sport in the United Kingdom famously has no break over the holidays, with the amount of games actually increasing over late December and early January rather than following in the footsteps of other nations.The thinking behind the UKs scheduling is to allow for less congestion through the other months of the regular season, it follows tradition and is an appeal to festive supporters who get the chance to watch or attend matches on their holidays.

English Premier League teams this season will play three games in the space of seven or eight days, including a fixture on Boxing Day, and compete in the FA Cup in early January.

Of the major leagues, the Bundesliga has the longest break as competitive action finishes up on December 20 and does not resume until January 22. [sEEMS EXCESSIVE]

Serie A and La Liga action ceases on December 20 and returns on January 6 and December 30 respectively. [VERY MINOR BREAK FOR SPANISH PROVING YOU DONT NEED MONTH (S) OF BREAK]

Ligue 1 takes a hiatus from December 20 until January 8 [MINOR BREAK].

Other nations with harsher winter climates such as Scandinavian countries, Ukraine and Russia typically stop competing for a number of months, with this year no different. [WEATHER]

Many of these sides and those from Germany embark in training camps and exhibition matches in far-flung places in an attempt to increase exposure and add fans; as such a winter break can also be a money-making initiative.

The last league fixture is Sunday 15th May. As pre- season training does not start until July, that is more than 30 days. The Euros are a different ball game, but players are employed by their clubs, and also return late to preseason for an extended break.

If the holiday games is so important for fans, start the winterbreak January 1st for 15 days or so. It might benefit the national team too and may make it more enjoyable to watch major tournaments wink.png

Yes, the do get a sh!tload of money and I think they are paid way too much, but that is a DIFFERENT topic. It is about if a winterbreak would be good for the league / players. With all the money in the world, they still can not buy much needed condition / rest.

Getting rid of international friendlies I think is wrong. It is a great way to test new players and strategies to prepare for qualifications and tournaments.

How much holiday does a football player get over a year period? I honestly do not know, but can't see them getting more than 30 days a year ( besides their usual days off ).

How many HOURS a day do Premier players 'work'? Come on, it's a pretty privileged existence these days.

]

Hours a day? I do not know...but usually 2-3 training sessions a day and probably lasting 60 minutes each. Has to be lots of fun driving to and from work 2-3 a day.

But to clarify, I am not defending the money they get paid or how many hours a day or week they work, I just think that at TODAYS day and age ( not: we won the title so and so many times in the past ) where players are constantly pushed to their limits, the game has gotten a lot more faster, more commercialized, more demanding, that it will take a toll on the player.

Yes, they are highly paid and yes they seem to get more holiday ( but even during the holiday they have to stay fit ), but they are not machines. The body needs some rest. When or how much, I can not tell, but I am guessing 1-2 weeks should be good for high performance athletes.

P.S.:

With the quality/money on the pitch in the premier league, they should be winning a whole lot more internationally or at least performing a lot better )

correct, this discussion has nothing to do with how much they get paid. being paid a lot of money doesn't magically make you less physically tired or less prone to fatigue.

the bundesliga has a winter break. the germany national team does markedly better in summer international tournaments than the england team does and always looks much fitter and far less tired. i don't think this is a coincidence.

It's also worth adding that unlike most of Europe, England rarely suffers from inclement weather these days which require the cancellation of Premier games.

Mate, I dont know if you have had too much of the hard stuff over Christmas, but the last couple of days you have been coming out with a right load of tripe!!laugh.png

The main leagues in Europe are Germany, Spain, France, Italy and ourselves. I dont recall games being postponed in those countries due to inclement weather!!!blink.png . The premier league has had one or two over recent years but not many.

I think its down to giving players time to recover. They are not machines. You cannot complain about the misperformance of players in one breath and then advocate a ridiculous number of games in a short period of time, on the other.

On the other hand, it naffs me off when I hear managers complaining about it, yet they dont rotate their players!! (Pellegrini!!)

correct, this discussion has nothing to do with how much they get paid. being paid a lot of money doesn't magically make you less physically tired or less prone to fatigue.

the bundesliga has a winter break. the germany national team does markedly better in summer international tournaments than the england team does and always looks much fitter and far less tired. i don't think this is a coincidence.

Amen to that. There is nothing that bores the tits off me more than the "why can't they play three games a week to support the football oligarchy and give us fans something to do" argument. thumbsup.gif

It's also worth adding that unlike most of Europe, England rarely suffers from inclement weather these days which require the cancellation of Premier games.

Mate, I dont know if you have had too much of the hard stuff over Christmas, but the last couple of days you have been coming out with a right load of tripe!!laugh.png

The main leagues in Europe are Germany, Spain, France, Italy and ourselves. I dont recall games being postponed in those countries due to inclement weather!!!blink.png . The premier league has had one or two over recent years but not many.

I think its down to giving players time to recover. They are not machines. You cannot complain about the misperformance of players in one breath and then advocate a ridiculous number of games in a short period of time, on the other.

On the other hand, it naffs me off when I hear managers complaining about it, yet they dont rotate their players!! (Pellegrini!!)

Tripe, ha. You're still smarting then from me criticising Aguero's poor overall performance this season. ;-)

My point about weather was we don't need a winter break due to weather problems in the Premier - no games off for frozen pitches/snow/waterlogged pitches unlike in decades past - in fact I don't recall the last time the Premier had games called off. We also get very mild weather compared to other northern European countries.

So the arguements given above FOR a winter break seem to be:

Might aid our teams in the European competitions.

Might aid England national team.

For the benefit of the players.

I don't see the 92 clubs, the Premier, the Football League, the FA and the football supporters being swayed anytime soon.

Tripe, ha. You're still smarting then from me criticising Aguero's poor overall performance this season. ;-)

My point about weather was we don't need a winter break due to weather problems in the Premier - no games off for frozen pitches/snow/waterlogged pitches unlike in decades past - in fact I don't recall the last time the Premier had games called off. We also get very mild weather compared to other northern European countries.

No, smarting from the statement you made criticising Agueros attitudewink.png

Tripe...... well when we are on about winter breaks benefitting footballers we are talking about comparable leagues in Europe.... not Northern Europerolleyes.gif.

Tripe..... that Payet could be considered a long term replacement for Silva, when there is a years difference in agegiggle.gif

I could go on matelaugh.png

No, smarting from the statement you made criticising Agueros attitudewink.png

Tripe...... well when we are on about winter breaks benefitting footballers we are talking about comparable leagues in Europe.... not Northern Europerolleyes.gif.

Tripe..... that Payet could be considered a long term replacement for Silva, when there is a years difference in agegiggle.gif

I could go on matelaugh.png

Please do mate.

]

The EPL get a free run over Christmas and New Year in commercial terms and foreign broadcasters can cash in and so afford to pay for rights at enhanced rates. The 3rd round of the FA Cup gives teams a chance to rest players and many do. We could ditch the League Cup if we really want to reduce the number of games. Why have 2 domestic cup competitions? For me, the more football the better. Players get tired? Work can do that to you. It's part of life.Some players and their managers ought to contemplate what they would be doing if they weren't in the football profession.

The EPL get a free run over Christmas and New Year in commercial terms and foreign broadcasters can cash in and so afford to pay for rights at enhanced rates. The 3rd round of the FA Cup gives teams a chance to rest players and many do. We could ditch the League Cup if we really want to reduce the number of games. Why have 2 domestic cup competitions? For me, the more football the better. Players get tired? Work can do that to you. It's part of life.Some players and their managers ought to contemplate what they would be doing if they weren't in the football profession.

Having 2 domestic cup competitions does seem unnecessary these days but why not have the Premier teams handicapped by allowing them to play only u25s/u23s/u21s (whichever) which means they get the chance to rest their older 1st teamers while giving a runout to their kids - though of course this would play in to the hands of Spurs who have the "youngest Premier team", apparently.

Having 2 domestic cup competitions does seem unnecessary these days but why not have the Premier teams handicapped by allowing them to play only u25s/u23s/u21s (whichever) which means they get the chance to rest their older 1st teamers while giving a runout to their kids - though of course this would play in to the hands of Spurs who have the "youngest Premier team", apparently.

Your lot can work on your comb overs Santi! :D

"Asked about Klopps comments, the Arsenal manager said: You get that from everybody who comes to England at the start because you have to adapt to the English style. I was like that and Im still in favour of a winter break but without losing the traditions of English football. That is play over Christmas and maybe have a break in January".

With Arsene on this. Keep the festive fixtures - its part of our tradition, the fans like it and we're totally in the world's eyes during that period (and all that can bring) - but if a break is deemed required, have in January.