Does the Premier League need a wninter break?

SantiSuk

The EPL get a free run over Christmas and New Year in commercial terms and foreign broadcasters can cash in and so afford to pay for rights at enhanced rates. The 3rd round of the FA Cup gives teams a chance to rest players and many do. We could ditch the League Cup if we really want to reduce the number of games. Why have 2 domestic cup competitions? For me, the more football the better. Players get tired? Work can do that to you. It's part of life.Some players and their managers ought to contemplate what they would be doing if they weren't in the football profession.

Having 2 domestic cup competitions does seem unnecessary these days

not if your a football fan as opposed to a premier league fan ,

"Asked about Klopps comments, the Arsenal manager said: You get that from everybody who comes to England at the start because you have to adapt to the English style. I was like that and Im still in favour of a winter break but without losing the traditions of English football. That is play over Christmas and maybe have a break in January".

With Arsene on this. Keep the festive fixtures - its part of our tradition, the fans like it and we're totally in the world's eyes during that period (and all that can bring) - but if a break is deemed required, have in January.

what do you mean by "we're totally in the world's eyes during that period (and all that can bring)"?

^I meant most European leagues have their feet up, therefore I would imigine that their fans are watching our games (some will watch already, some will watch cause they ain't got football to watch) and their media is watching/reporting on our football, therefore there maybe additional opportunities during that period (advertising companies get more eyes on their advert etc). It's an opinion based on a feeling but no I don't have any statistics in support of it.

It is not necessarily a good thing, but those people, along with the prawn sandwich brigade, run the business (once known as a sport) now.

It always used to be 3.00pm on Saturday afternoon. Now the league is Saturday, early, 3.00pm and late, Sunday is similar and Monday late. F.A. Cup has Friday nights and it won't be long before the Premier League follow suit, all for advertising revenue.