Suggestions for a small, semi-powerful scooter with disc brakes?

jimi

Burgman 200 is not a regular "flat bed" scooter, small wheels too....

Its much better than anything else on the market at that price. 18hp, 10.5 litre tank with 600km range is impressive and the storage fits two helmets under the seat easily which makes the flat floor obselete.

The build quality is amazing compared to Honda.

If i didnt already buy the vespa sprint i'd be all over the burgman.

Edited by sebastion

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As said above - rent different ones. Pick the one you like. Buy it. Why talk about modifying a brand new bike when the same performance is available in a fully warrantied bike ?

What bike? I haven't found one that fits my requirements, at least not one that is available here.

As said above - rent different ones. Pick the one you like. Buy it. Why talk about modifying a brand new bike when the same performance is available in a fully warrantied bike ?

What bike? I haven't found one that fits my requirements, at least not one that is available here.

You asked for recommendations for a bike for Thailand. Sounds like you have looked at - and discussed them all. If none of them suits your needs, I see two possibilities -

1. Change your needs. 2. Never find what you are looking for.

the storage fits two helmets under the seat easily which makes the flat floor obselete.

Not dissing the Burgman or anything, but I find your claim about it making the flat floor obsolete a bit strange. First, it is not all about the storage. I happen to find the open platform very comfortable, since I can move my feet around and select a good position that suits me. The bike can have all the storage in the world, but I can't unscrew my feet and put them inside the under seat storage. Secondly, you can't simply measure good storage options in volume. Sure, two helmets sounds great. But what about objects of about the same volume, but in a wider and flatter shape? I recently bought a widescreen pc monitor, and managed to transport it using the open foot platform, without needing any rope or anything. I would like to see you do the same thing with a bike without an open foot platform. smile.png

If you spend a little more than your 100k budget you can get the Suzuki Burgman 200cc. Very nice bike. Suzuki has them on sale now 119k.

Ticks all your boxes.

http://www.thaisuzuki.co.th/bigbike/bigbike.php?id_product=125

Well, ok. I'll bite. Even though I am still very skeptical about scooters this size, and it missing the open foot platform, I still spent some time now really checking it out (online, but still). It seems quite nice, I'll give you that. Several reviewers seem to claim it handles very well, and feels very nimble for it's size. And some seem to think it is a perfect beginner "big bike", so to speak, which actually wouldn't be to bad for me since I never ridden any kind of big bike.

So I guess at least I should give it a chance and try to get a look and feel IRL, like I have with Honda PCX and Yamaha N-Max. Although, some details make it look like a bit low budget, judging from some videos and photos, especially the plastic handle bar and glove boxes. That seems a bit strange to me, that they would overlook the design of these things, that are right in the view of the user when sitting on the bike.

Is the 119k sale price for the 2016 model, or some older one? And where did you see that price?

You asked for recommendations for a bike for Thailand. Sounds like you have looked at - and discussed them all. If none of them suits your needs, I see two possibilities -

1. Change your needs. 2. Never find what you are looking for.

You are forgetting the 3:rd option. Find one that fits most of my requirements, and try and modify it so the missing requirements are fulfilled. That would be a reason for me to modify a new bike, instead of buying another bike that is more powerfull, but fulfilles less of my requirements. I'm not saying this will be the road I'll choose, just that there is logic behind that reasoning.

All that being said, after reading a bit about the difficulty of finding a good and trustworthy mechanic workshops around here I have more or less abandoned the idea of tuning the engine of a weaker scooter, so mainly my discussion about it now is purely on a theoretical level. So, all in all, I most likely will have to tweak my requirements until I find a matching bike. But you can't blame me for at least trying to find what I really want first, right? And the bike I really want might still be out there, but 99% of all posters here seem focused on only Honda and Yamaha, and since that seems to be the same mentality of people in general here in thailand I might never get the tip I need to find it.

So, to summarize... I am strongly leaning towards your option 1 above. I'm not just very happy about it. tongue.png

Edited by jimi

If you spend a little more than your 100k budget you can get the Suzuki Burgman 200cc. Very nice bike. Suzuki has them on sale now 119k.

Ticks all your boxes.

http://www.thaisuzuki.co.th/bigbike/bigbike.php?id_product=125

Well, ok. I'll bite. Even though I am still very skeptical about scooters this size, and it missing the open foot platform, I still spent some time now really checking it out (online, but still). It seems quite nice, I'll give you that. Several reviewers seem to claim it handles very well, and feels very nimble for it's size. And some seem to think it is a perfect beginner "big bike", so to speak, which actually wouldn't be to bad for me since I never ridden any kind of big bike.

So I guess at least I should give it a chance and try to get a look and feel IRL, like I have with Honda PCX and Yamaha N-Max. Although, some details make it look like a bit low budget, judging from some videos and photos, especially the plastic handle bar and glove boxes. That seems a bit strange to me, that they would overlook the design of these things, that are right in the view of the user when sitting on the bike.

Is the 119k sale price for the 2016 model, or some older one? And where did you see that price?

The open foot plan is something i don't understand as a necessity. Nobody rides with their feet together in the centre of the floorboard like you're standing at attention. See the pic attached, it has room for stetching the legs or in the standard scooter riding postion which most bikes don't accomodate.

Having the big 10.5l tank that low on the floor is the Burgmans secret to why it handles so good. Keeping all the weight low to the ground gives it a low centre of gravity.

Now to the size, it's not as big as it looks and is very nimble in traffic. It actually feels smaller than the Honda Forza and the Vespa GTS even though it's bigger. I ride a Vespa Sprint 150 now which handles great but nothing like the Burgman. It the corners it feels like you can just keep leaning more and more. Inspires confidence. After i test rode the Burgman i had buyers remorse for buying the Sprint without testing the Burgman first.

Before the Sprint i had a Vespa GTS 300 and that was a dog of a scooter. Heavy and poor handling. Even the lower powered Sprint out performs it in the handling department so i would cross that GTS 150 off your list.

It's over a decade old in design now.

You say the storage looks cheap and plasticy.The small compartment under the bars is useless. The gimmicky door that opens and twists right i also don't understand but maybe a place to store some gum or cigarettes but the centre lockable glovebox is huge compared to any scooter i've had its it's no worse quality plastic than any Vespa or Honda.

The 12v socket in the glovebox is useful and it's something i don't even have on the more expensive Vespa.

As i said in another post, the underseat storage is second to none because it's not accomodating a petrol tank. This is a bike you can easily go to the supermarket with and still hold a helmet under there.

I suggest you go test ride one, Suzuki Phuket let me take it for a good long ride and i returned with a huge smile and buyers remorse. Powerful engine (18hp) and a very smooth cvt transmission that's another thing that sets this scooter apart from most. No juddering at all.

The sticker price was 139k but they had a promotion at that time for 20k discount which i guess is because they don't sell well. Thai's just don't touch Suzuki from my experience.

To sum it up, if i was to buy a bike today it would be the Burgman 200%.

post-182515-14525458613551_thumb.jpg

Edited by sebastion

the storage fits two helmets under the seat easily which makes the flat floor obselete.

Not dissing the Burgman or anything, but I find your claim about it making the flat floor obsolete a bit strange. First, it is not all about the storage. I happen to find the open platform very comfortable, since I can move my feet around and select a good position that suits me. The bike can have all the storage in the world, but I can't unscrew my feet and put them inside the under seat storage. Secondly, you can't simply measure good storage options in volume. Sure, two helmets sounds great. But what about objects of about the same volume, but in a wider and flatter shape? I recently bought a widescreen pc monitor, and managed to transport it using the open foot platform, without needing any rope or anything. I would like to see you do the same thing with a bike without an open foot platform. smile.png

Yesterday I saw a lady load two cases of soda pop, [48 cans] onto the back of her Dream and take off.

Just sat the boxes there on the rear part of the seat.

No bungee; nuttin'.

clap2.gif

The flat floor scooter is indeed handy.

Large bags of rice, small families, pets or livestock

can be carried there.

Dry and out of the wind.

...& good when wearin' the kilt!

Regarding the flat floor bikes. I am an old fart who has decided that I am no longer bullet proof like I was when I was a young man. In case of an imminent accident, I can get off a flat floor bike much quicker. That and having my leg between the bike and a vehicle that may hit me, at least the bike will take the impact and not my leg. Most of the one legged young men have lost their leg from a motorcycle accident. Some time back, a young farang lady in Pattaya simply fell over and had her foot between the bike and the pavement. I don't know how she ended up but she underwent many skin grafts to cover the bones in her foot.

Regarding the flat floor bikes. I am an old fart who has decided that I am no longer bullet proof like I was when I was a young man. In case of an imminent accident, I can get off a flat floor bike much quicker. That and having my leg between the bike and a vehicle that may hit me, at least the bike will take the impact and not my leg. Most of the one legged young men have lost their leg from a motorcycle accident. Some time back, a young farang lady in Pattaya simply fell over and had her foot between the bike and the pavement. I don't know how she ended up but she underwent many skin grafts to cover the bones in her foot.

Its not like the hump in the centre is 3 foot high. It's 5 inches maximum.

It won't hinder your ability to jump off the bike and if it does, you shouldn't be riding at all if you can't lift your leg 5 inches.

The open foot plan is something i don't understand as a necessity. Nobody rides with their feet together in the centre of the floorboard like you're standing at attention. See the pic attached, it has room for stetching the legs or in the standard scooter riding postion which most bikes don't accomodate.

I don't ride my Fino with my feet together (ie touching each other), but they are only about 2-4 inches apart.

The multiple foot position choices on the Burgman looks nice, but the choices are all constricted to one axis (moving back and forth), so if one wants to move one's feet inwards it is not possible. Also, it seems impossible to find any information about how wide one's feet are apart on the Burgman.

You say the storage looks cheap and plasticy.The small compartment under the bars is useless. The gimmicky door that opens and twists right i also don't understand but maybe a place to store some gum or cigarettes

Yes, it was the compartments under the handlebar that I was thinking about. And the handle bar itself. I can't understand why they couldn't make these things look a bit more stylish.

I suggest you go test ride one, Suzuki Phuket let me take it for a good long ride and i returned with a huge smile and buyers remorse. Powerful engine (18hp) and a very smooth cvt transmission that's another thing that sets this scooter apart from most. No juddering at all.

The sticker price was 139k but they had a promotion at that time for 20k discount which i guess is because they don't sell well. Thai's just don't touch Suzuki from my experience.

Yes, I will try and ride it. If I can't take it for a test run at the store, or feel that I want to test it more, I probably will be renting one for a week.

I'm in Chiang Mai though, so I assume that I wouldn't get the same price here as you got at Suzuki Phuket. But I'm still curious to know if it was the 2016 version you tested. Do you know?

Every bike is a compromise and every buyer has to make choices.

You can't get a fast scooter in a small package because the drivetrain and chassis size jump up after 150cc.

Sadly a bike that fills your needs list does not exist.

Why not just keep the Fino and buy something totally different so you have 2 bikes for different jobs.

Otherwise get a Grand Filano or Nuovo SX, and accept it won't be super fast but at least they have good storage and the flat floor.

Considering an iPhone6 costs 30K; you are getting great value no matter what you buy.

I don't ride my Fino with my feet together (ie touching each other), but they are only about 2-4 inches apart.

The multiple foot position choices on the Burgman looks nice, but the choices are all constricted to one axis (moving back and forth), so if one wants to move one's feet inwards it is not possible. Also, it seems impossible to find any information about how wide one's feet are apart on the Burgman.

You say the storage looks cheap and plasticy.The small compartment under the bars is useless. The gimmicky door that opens and twists right i also don't understand but maybe a place to store some gum or cigarettes

Yes, it was the compartments under the handlebar that I was thinking about. And the handle bar itself. I can't understand why they couldn't make these things look a bit more stylish.

Yes, I will try and ride it. If I can't take it for a test run at the store, or feel that I want to test it more, I probably will be renting one for a week.

I'm in Chiang Mai though, so I assume that I wouldn't get the same price here as you got at Suzuki Phuket. But I'm still curious to know if it was the 2016 version you tested. Do you know?

I didn't cross my mind to ask what year it was but I'm going past Suzuki this afternoon and i'll ask about the promotion again. It could be over as this was back in late November.

Might even ask for another test ride.

ok, yet another update... I went to a rental place today, and tried the Burgman 200. I can really see myself riding one of these on longer distances (well, compared to quick runs in the city), and at a bit higher speeds (for scooters). But when riding at really low speeds, and when moving the bike by manual power (like when reversing when parking in a tight spot) it didn't feel as nimble as I though it would be (from some online reviews). And when accellerating from stand still to really slow "traffic jam" speed (ie walking speed), it felt like the engine was almost dying, and it was a bit jerky. Considering I ride in the city about 90-95% of the time, and considering the traffic here, I just don't feel that this is the bike for me. A more experienced "big bike" rider could most likely handle it with ease, but for me it just felt awkward and I never felt really comfortable.

Then I tried the Honda PCX and Yamaha N-Max, and boy did that feel different compared to the Burgman. The PCX and the N-Max felt much more like the nimble Fino, while still having some extra power and stability. After thinking about it for a while, I decided to rent the N-Max, if for no other reason that it was almost brand new (less than 3 months, and looked almost untouched) while the PCX looked a bit worn down and the front brake lever felt a bit dodgy. So, now I am an happy rentee of the Yamaha N-Max, and will have it for one week. I know it doesn't tick all my boxes above, but like so many people have said in this thread, I just decided that some requirements just had to go, in order for me to find any bike at all...

I will try and remember to write my final judgement on the bike after my rental week has expired. But judging from the test drive at the rental shop, and the drive home, it is beginning to look like this is the bike for me. smile.png

Does Honda still offer the Honda SH150? I stopped by a couple of local dealers and the only information I got were puzzled looks from the sales people. That looks to me like the perfect scooter.

Well, not sure if anyone still is interested, but my 8 day rental of the Yamaha N-Max 155 ends today, and I liked it so much so I already have bought one. Will pick it up today, directly after I have dropped of the rental one. :D

Does Honda still offer the Honda SH150? I stopped by a couple of local dealers and the only information I got were puzzled looks from the sales people. That looks to me like the perfect scooter.

Yes that would be perfect but sadly it's made in Vietnam and was never a hit here.

I see a few around but not many.

ok, I just picked up the N-Max, and it feels great so far. But one thing cought my attention a bit... It felt like the acceleration was just *slightly* weaker than the one I rented. Could it be because it is brand new, and the engine isn't "broken in" yet?

Or... could it be that I got the 125 cc version? For some stupid reason they don't print the full name on the bike (ie including 125 or 155). Is there any way I can tell if it is 125 or 155 by just looking at it?

ok, I just picked up the N-Max, and it feels great so far. But one thing cought my attention a bit... It felt like the acceleration was just *slightly* weaker than the one I rented. Could it be because it is brand new, and the engine isn't "broken in" yet?

Or... could it be that I got the 125 cc version? For some stupid reason they don't print the full name on the bike (ie including 125 or 155). Is there any way I can tell if it is 125 or 155 by just looking at it?

They don't make a 125 in the nmax as far as i know.

A google search of "yamaha n-max 125" gives plenty of results. But I realise now that I can't seem to find any thai web page or video about the 125 version. Maybe the 155 version is the only one sold in Thailand, while the 125 seems more common in some other contries (like in Europe). That would make it highly unlikely that I got the 125 version, I guess...

A google search of "yamaha n-max 125" gives plenty of results. But I realise now that I can't seem to find any thai web page or video about the 125 version. Maybe the 155 version is the only one sold in Thailand, while the 125 seems more common in some other contries (like in Europe). That would make it highly unlikely that I got the 125 version, I guess...

When i took a look in Yamaha they only had the 155cc. Maybe the 125cc is other markets and this bike is geared to take on the PCX for sales.

PCX is so dull and cheap looking. Nmax was the easy choice. Enjoy.