I am a shareholder, do i need workpermit

Hi

I am a farang that own 30% of a Thai company in Bangkok.

Now I have moved permanent to Thailand.

I receive taxable money from my part of the Thai company, so I have to pay tax in Thailand.

I an not really working.....

I just wonder....

Do I need a Work permit ?

huh.png

I am in a similar position, I was told by my lawyer that a work permit is not needed as long as I limit my role to being a shareholder only. I cannot have any position in the company, cannot be a director or have any role as a signatory for bank accounts or contracts except when specifically required to do so as a shareholder. I don't know what type of business it is you are involved with but you should also limit the amount of time you spend physically present in it, if for example it is a bar or restaurant, or you may be perceived as assisting in its operation.

Obviously all this means you need to have a great deal of trust in the other shareholders and the directors, who really have full control of the company.

• Like 1

I am in a similar position, I was told by my lawyer that a work permit is not needed as long as I limit my role to being a shareholder only. I cannot have any position in the company, cannot be a director or have any role as a signatory for bank accounts or contracts except when specifically required to do so as a shareholder. I don't know what type of business it is you are involved with but you should also limit the amount of time you spend physically present in it, if for example it is a bar or restaurant, or you may be perceived as assisting in its operation.

Obviously all this means you need to have a great deal of trust in the other shareholders and the directors, who really have full control of the company.

Stay away from the business and you will be OK.If you are found to be part of the buisness and no work permit normal fine is around 90,000 baht.I know from experience.

I am here on a Non"o" and have enough money in bank (400000) to renew it.

Could I not get a work permit in the company (we have 4/1 thai/farang ratio ....) and get a low salary like 20000/Month.

I do not need the minimum wage (I think 40000 for me) or the money for renewing

visa or anything.

Edited by BEngBKK

Could I not get a work permit in the company (we have 4/1 thai/farang ratio ....) and get a low salary like 20000/Month.

visa or anything.

Unless you are married to a Thai the 400,000 will not secure an extension of stay and visas cannot be renewed.

f

I got the opposite advice. Can I ask, Where are your lawyers located ?

visa or anything.

The so-called "minimum wage" is not a demand – many, including me, misunderstood that – but immigration may not extend a visa without income tax being paid from a wage within a certain level, usually 40k/m and up, depending of work and country of origin.
400k baht bank deposit is when married to a Thai (and some few exceptions), whilst retirement extension requires 800k baht; can be mixed with certified income so the sum meet the requirement.

visa or anything.

If you have the 400k baht to get an extension of stay based upon marriage there is no minimum salary requirement.

You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage.

• Like 1