Knee Operation

RioMist

Hi Guys.. I need to have knee replacement surgury soon. Pain is starting to get to me now. I live in Phuket and been to the local hospitals here and the going rate for Farangs for this operation is about 250,000 baht per knee to include aftercare. I need both my knees doing so 500,000 is a lot of cash to find. My other option of course is to go back to the UK and have to wait 6 months while I register being a expat then go on the waiting list so I guess at least another 6 months so have to live in the Uk for a year which does not appeal !!! The doctors told me here that there is a dual pricing policy for Thai's and Expats although they never told me what the Thai price was. So I was wondering if any of you guys had the operation and what did it cost you. Is there a hospital in Thailand that does not operate a dual pricing policy? As i said 500,000 is a lot to find and would take most of my capital which I keep for emergencies. If any of you have any constructive advice I would really appreciate it..

You aren't going to get it for noticeably less at any private hospital.

Several TV members have had joint replacements done at military hospitals, which are usually of good quality and less expensive than private hospitals. Since a big part of the cost is the artifical implant which is an imported device, won't be as cheap as other procedures would be, but still perhaps half of private rate. There isn't one in Phuket but there is a Naval hospital in Phang Nga, suggest you try there. I assume they will treat civilians, most military hospitals will.

The other thing you might consider is going to India. This is their specialty and there is a brisk medical tourism business for knee and hip replacements there. Even inclusive of travel will cost much less than here.

check with sukhumvit hospital they often have a sale on knee replacements. you will not find it on the web site, but at the surgery clinic they have signs up.

i had both knees done in 2010, total replacement, in the U.S. be prepared to do serious physical therapy. you may need to go to an out side gym to get a good exercise program and equipment. it helps if you have access to a pool. just walk forward and backwards, even try to do that before surgery as it will help strengthen the muscles before surgery. take my word you need to dedicate your self to physical therapy, if you don't the knee replacement is a waist.

the hardest thing i ran into after surgery was wiping my butt.

if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Ahhhh - bum guns.

Where is Sukhumvit hospital in Phuket?

I agree 100% about the pool before and after and the necessity for prolonged physical therapists guidance.

Be prepared for some pain as you increase weight-bearing.

Doing both at once sounds logical but I preferred to have one good leg to stand on.

Edited by Evilbaz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Rio Mist, don't mean to hijack your thread, but I'm in the same situation. Maybe we can answer some questions for each other.

I live near Sakon Nakhon, a long way from the big smoke of BKK & CM. I've had major knee problems for many years, time to seek treatment. Thabo Crown Prince government hospital in Nong Khai has been recommended by two locals that have had knee replacements carried out at this hospital.

This morning I had a consultation with an orthopedic surgeon from the hospital at a day clinic, not at the hospital. After initial examination, I have an appointment at the hospital for x-rays & further diagnosis. If required, surgery, knee replacement, will be performed within a couple of days of the final diagnosis.

The quoted overall cost was 140,000 baht, per knee. This price was inclusive of x-rays & lead up diagnosis, knee replacement surgery, anesthetist, 7 night hospital stay & medication.

Although my lifestyle is now suffering from the knee condition & pain is increasing all the time, I'm still somewhat hesitant about such major surgery.

I would be appreciative of any info or comments on the above mentioned hospital.

Thanks..... Mal.

Hi Mal, I would think you would need a MRI scan as X-rays do not show up how bad the knees are, I speak from experience of having two knee replacements on the left knee, and for myself I wish I had never had it done as been a nightmare for me, but having said that i know people who have had surgery which as been successful, good luck

You aren't going to get it for noticeably less at any private hospital.

Several TV members have had joint replacements done at military hospitals, which are usually of good quality and less expensive than private hospitals. Since a big part of the cost is the artifical implant which is an imported device, won't be as cheap as other procedures would be, but still perhaps half of private rate. There isn't one in Phuket but there is a Naval hospital in Phang Nga, suggest you try there. I assume they will treat civilians, most military hospitals will.

The other thing you might consider is going to India. This is their specialty and there is a brisk medical tourism business for knee and hip replacements there. Even inclusive of travel will cost much less than here.

Second hand will probably save the OP a few bob rolleyes.gif

Too true,type in Calcutta knee or Calcutta knee replacement,see the different options,only two hours away,and about £90 return flight (monsoon season)

"If bone,we perform miracles " is a slogan they use

why 7 nights in hospital?

i did one knee at a time, much better.

did surgery on monday, had me out of bed tuesday morning walking down hall. tuesday afternoon transferred to out patient

physical therapy center. was there 3weeks, constant exercising.

my doctor who specializes in knee and hip only did ex rays.

if you can see if you can find a doctor who did some training in the U.S. i think with the amount of knee replacements done there they get a better education.

having had both knees replaced was one of the best things i have ever done in my life. i used to have to walk with a cane and was very limited to do anything and mega pain!! i now go bowling 2-4 times a week and bowl 4-6 games.

the one thing i stress is go in with a positive attitude and you have to dedicate your self to physical therapy.

physical therapy, if you do not dedicate your self to doing it, knee replacement is a waist of time and money.

had knees done in 2010, and i still try and exercise every day in the pool where i live. i spend 1-2 hours a day. nothing major, walk forward, walk backwards, walk sideways, and leg lifts.

if any one needs support or wants to talk just contact me.

attitude is half the battle!!

In chiang mai Dr. Chanaclan will do the knee for 200,000b at Rajvej at C-Pat 250,000 and at Ram 300,000. He is one of the top guys in Chiang Mai. He was called into Bangkok Hospital here to do knee surgery on afriend of mine while there main guy was doing a bone graft on the other leg. The prices are about a year old. spelling on his name maybe a bit off.

Hi everyone.

Rio Mist, don't mean to hijack your thread, but I'm in the same situation. Maybe we can answer some questions for each other.

I live near Sakon Nakhon, a long way from the big smoke of BKK & CM. I've had major knee problems for many years, time to seek treatment. Thabo Crown Prince government hospital in Nong Khai has been recommended by two locals that have had knee replacements carried out at this hospital.

This morning I had a consultation with an orthopedic surgeon from the hospital at a day clinic, not at the hospital. After initial examination, I have an appointment at the hospital for x-rays & further diagnosis. If required, surgery, knee replacement, will be performed within a couple of days of the final diagnosis.

The quoted overall cost was 140,000 baht, per knee. This price was inclusive of x-rays & lead up diagnosis, knee replacement surgery, anesthetist, 7 night hospital stay & medication.

Although my lifestyle is now suffering from the knee condition & pain is increasing all the time, I'm still somewhat hesitant about such major surgery.

I would be appreciative of any info or comments on the above mentioned hospital.

Thanks..... Mal.

Let us know how the surgery goes

Hi Mal, I would think you would need a MRI scan as X-rays do not show up how bad the knees are, I speak from experience of having two knee replacements on the left knee, and for myself I wish I had never had it done as been a nightmare for me, but having said that i know people who have had surgery which as been successful, good luck

Pal of mine had his knees done in CM,

He too wishes he had never had it done, says they are worse now than ever before.

I wouldn't let anyone in Thailand cut into me.

You gotta have it done, go back to the UK.

These guys here are butchers.

I wouldn't let anyone in Thailand cut into me.

You gotta have it done, go back to the UK.

These guys here are butchers.

I have this impression too,not just the cutting either,that's why I like the other place ,they flit from there to the UK at regular intervals,puts the fear of God into me at the sheer thought of an op here

Hi again all.

I've decided against the surgery here in LOS for now.

I'm making lots & lots of inquiries back in Australia about the possibility of having it done back there.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the replies & advice.

Cheers..... Mal.