Schengen visa application - valid marriage certificate from British embassy?

Hey everyone,

I'm getting prepared to go and make a Schengen visa application for my wife so that we can go to Spain.

I understand that I need to present a certificate or letter stating that our marriage is valid and recognised in the UK but I've just phoned them up and they said they don't do that any more :-/

I read online that a guy on here managed to get a stamped letter from the British embassy saying that they no longer issue these certificates and when I mentioned this to the girl on the phone, she asked could I get a copy of it and scan it in so they can see it.

Has anyone done this whole process recently and how did you get this proof??

Cheers for any help here :-)

This is a requirement that has been created by certain EU countries. There is no legal justification for it but individual countries chose to do their own thing!

A marriage is either valid or it is not. A proper Thai wedding (not just the village type) is recognised by all UK/EU nations so demanding this letter is a nonsense!

At least the UK authorities have recognised this in the form of the letter. If they were to certify each marriage then it would take more man power than they have plus cost a small fortune to check each marriage.

• Like 1

Hi bobrussell,

Yeah it's ridiculous isn't it sad.png

I am going to attempt an application next week so trying to get everything together. There is a lot to think about that's for sure!

I'm hoping that the letter Ojas found is the sort of thing they are looking for. In the meantime I emailed a copy of it to the Spanish embassy and am now awaiting a response.. will post back what they say on here so others can see thumbsup.gif

Cheers!

Matt

This is a requirement that has been created by certain EU countries. There is no legal justification for it but individual countries chose to do their own thing!

Indeed, the sad reality, from reading various threads on here, is that individual EU embassies place their own particular interpretations on the Schengen rules set centrally by Brussels - in much the same way as individual immigration offices do here in our case!

• Like 1