Planning to live well in Chiang Mai

Lewthetraveler

Things must have changed in 3/4 years. Then i was just a 30 day tourist living in a cheap hotel but had no trouble opening a BB account on NimmanHaeman Road. But, since i was able to produce a USA passport, all went well for me.

Yes, I think things have changed and a USA passport just means more work for Bangkok Bank with the FBAR requirements. Why would they want to open an account for an American likely to keep a small balance because he's on a short-term visa?

With my experience yesterday, watching the older, very grumpy guy and poorly dressed guy walk briskly from our condo and into Bangkok Bank asking to open an account with a tourist visa, I think they probably would have accommodated him when they asked me if I knew him. I've brought newbies into that bank to open accounts with tourist visas, explaining they needed the account to bring in 800,000 baht to get a retirement visa. Then, they're happy to open an account for someone with a short-term visa and those plans. I think yesterday the customer service gal was looking for me to say something similar about that guy.

Time and again, we are told, this is Thailand, be nice, and don't dress like a kee-nok farang. Time and again, people through ignorance or arrogance think these 'appearances' are not applicable to them. Then they wonder why all the Thais they meet in positions of officialdom don't want to know...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they think that "appearances shouldn't matter" and/or their interactions have been with lower class Thai people working in the entertainment industry who just hold their noses, avert their eyes and tell the guy he's a hansum man to get him to part with his money. they've come to believe this and expect this treatment from all Thai people, especially women.

Because they think that "appearances shouldn't matter" and/or their interactions have been with lower class Thai people working in the entertainment industry who just hold their noses, avert their eyes and tell the guy he's a hansum man to get him to part with his money. they've come to believe this and expect this treatment from all Thai people, especially women.

Most foreigners in CM only ever interact with lower class Thais.

Unless shopkeepers, songtaw drivers, and hospital/restaurant/condo staff have suddenly leaped up in the class structure without me noticing.

Who posting here ever interacts with Thais who aren't effectively the hired help?

Bank managers, doctors, immigration officials and other gov't officials aren't the "hired help". Yes, you may be paying for a service from them, but they're educated people who don't consider themselves to be in the same social class as shopkeepers, condo staff, songthaew drivers.

And if a foreigner has a family, runs a business or engages in community service, then you're likely to be interacting with teachers, lawyers, University professors, Thai community leaders, Thai business owners, etc -- again all people who aren't in the same social league with the songthaew drivers and market workers.

Of course, if someone is doing the activities listed in the second paragraph they've already figured out that "presentation" is important in Thailand. But even people in your circle, MaeJoMTB have times when they have to interact with Thai people listed in the first paragraph.

Bank managers, doctors, immigration officials and other gov't officials aren't the "hired help". Yes, you may be paying for a service from them, but they're educated people who don't consider themselves to be in the same social class as shopkeepers, condo staff, songthaew drivers.

So you are unable to differentiate between business interactions (forced) and social interaction (free choice).

One of which you will be doing with Thais, and one of which you won't.

With my experience yesterday, watching the older, very grumpy guy and poorly dressed guy walk briskly from our condo and into Bangkok Bank asking to open an account with a tourist visa, I think they probably would have accommodated him when they asked me if I knew him. I've brought newbies into that bank to open accounts with tourist visas, explaining they needed the account to bring in 800,000 baht to get a retirement visa. Then, they're happy to open an account for someone with a short-term visa and those plans. I think yesterday the customer service gal was looking for me to say something similar about that guy.

I would like to ask the poster why you did not help the gentlemen then? If you have a migraine one day, struggle to dress nicely and are walking to KSK with a grim look on your face and you fall over i would still help you get on your feet.

I would like to ask the poster why you did not help the gentlemen then? If you have a migraine one day, struggle to dress nicely and are walking to KSK with a grim look on your face and you fall over i would still help you get on your feet.

The bank manager was asking me if I knew the man so that I could provide a reference for him. If you look at the Bangkok Bank website, you'll see that they can require a reference for someone opening a bank account. I didn't know the man and thus couldn't provide a reference.

Were he to fall over and need medical assistance, I surely would have come to his aid. However, from his general demeanor he had no inclination to befriend anyone or ask for assistance. Thus, I was not in a position to tell the bank officer of his intentions -- why he wanted to open the bank account, like I am with other people who have asked for my assistance and advice in getting settled as new retirees in Chiang Mai -- people I've gotten to know well enough that I'm comfortable in serving as a reference.

If you look at the Bangkok Bank website, you'll see that they can require a reference for someone opening a bank account.

For foreigners, here's the list from their website.

1. Foreigner with a Work Permit

Passport

Work Permit

2. Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa

Passport and one of the following documents:

2.1 An official document from another country, such as a document from the

relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension

funds, OR a letter of reference from one of the following:

Embassy or international organization

Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network

Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive

Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank

Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

2.2 Other documents that show the name of the customer e.g. a document

showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a

condominium

3. Foreigner with Permanent Residence in Thailand

Passport, or Certificate of Residence, or Alien Certificate

House Registration

So easy using

2. + 2.2 = passport plus driving licence (any country)

Or almost anything with their name on it.

From here,

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/SavingsAccounts/Pages/Default.aspx

Down at the bottom of the webpage ...... click on open account.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

The man looked very much like a retiree, probably a new arrival. What often happens is that someone arrives in CM on a tourist visa or even visa exempt, rents a place and then they want to open a bank account so they can get themselves set up and on the path to applying for a 90-day non-O visa (a "so-called in-country conversion") which is then extended during the final 30 days of the life of that 90 day visa with a 12 month extension due to retirement. So, the newbie doesn't have a document showing ownership in real estate or a condo or really anything that shows a long-term commitment to stay in Thailand. Thus, the need for a reference.

Most foreigners in CM only ever interact with lower class Thais.

Unless shopkeepers, songtaw drivers, and hospital/restaurant/condo staff have suddenly leaped up in the class structure without me noticing.

Who posting here ever interacts with Thais who aren't effectively the hired help?

I do - and so do many others in business, publishing, writing, the arts and so on.

Did have the 30 day 'visa' way back when. Now in 2nd year of 'retirement' in CM.

Regarding the dress code in T'land, i think many westerners come here and are mighty relieved to be free of the dress codes of back home, whether USA, Euro, UK, OZ, etc. I mean, what else could prompt such outrageous body tattoos some white folks sport?

I'm free, free, free to do as i please and society/culture be damned.

I rent a house in a Thai village in Chiang Mai each year. This I arranged through a real estate agent. So no problem. I stay between 1 month and 3 months when it suits me.When I come and go I let the owner and agent know. The owner is a good landlord and pays the standing charge for the electric and water when I am not there. Then settle up later. Or set up a direct debit if you need to. You could think about buying your own apartment from 500,000 Baht upwards. The choices and options are yours.

I have a Thai bank account this I set up having a Thai person vouch for me at the time I applied for it. I never transfer money to the account. I bring as much money with me and change it at the SK money shop in Charoen Prathat Road near the Iron Bridge. I get 10% more this way then put it in my bank account. As long as you draw money out at your branch your OK. Use a different branch and they will charge you for each transaction.

If you want to avoid too many 30 day visa on arrival stamps. Do 2 back to back countries. Such as Myanmar/Laos, Cambodia/Vietnam and China/South Korea.

Another thing that is handy is a cheap mobile phone and local sim card. A £1 or $1.5 goes a long way on topups for texts and local calls.

Your right about BKK, the humidity is a lot lower for the same air temperature in Chiang Mai.

If you want to avoid too many 30 day visa on arrival stamps. Do 2 back to back countries. Such as Myanmar/Laos, Cambodia/Vietnam and China/South Korea.

Thanks for info.

Is it possible to get from Myanmar to Laos overland or must I fly from Vientianne or LP to Yangon?

I do not believe that this is possible.

http://bonatravels.com/2015/06/11/how-to-cross-from-myanmar-to-laos-overland/