Bangkok - Mae Hong Son by overnight VIP bus?

BadCash

I'm going to Wat Tam Wua near Mae Hong Son for a week as the very first thing on my upcoming journey, and have read that the overnight bus from Bangkok is a good option for getting there. I'll be arriving in Bangkok in the morning on february 11, and want to get the bus that same evening. But I can't find anywhere online where I can book or reserve a ticket. Does anybody know if it is even possible to book in advance on these buses? Not sure what companies do this route, but Sombat Tour lists a couple of buses per day from Mochit to Mae Hong Son. Can I book these in advance from my home country? Has anybody travelled this route and can recommend (or warn me about) a bus company?

As an fyi, overnight buses have a pretty bad safety record here. Very bad, actually.

He's going to a Wat therefore he has some spiritual insurance or is ready for the next life but thanks for the info.

The only times I have ever booked ahead are around Songkran and I have used a lot of buses in Thailand so you'll be fine without booking ahead.

The only online booking system I am aware of is in Thai.

Just get to Mor Chit and you will be directed to the earliest possible bus that is going to Mae Hong Son.

You may wait one hour or three,but you will inevitably get to your destination.

Thai public transport isn't renowned for booking in advance online,their ticketing systems are somewhat behind the standard fare of ones home country.

Just amble ramble and make do.

Edited by stoneyboy

Don't take any buses from Khao San Road. Most are pirate buses. And scams abound.

Thanks for the warning. I took a bus from Khao San Road to Chumpon the first time I was in Thailand, and yeah, never again. Jam packed with loud backpackers and more uncomfortable than a mini van. Compared to the VIP buses I've taken after that it was a joke. So the options I'm considering are 15 hour overnight VIP from Mochit or flight to Chiang Mai + 5 hour minivan to the temple/meditation place. Right now I'm thinking I'm gonna go to Mochit and see if I can get a ticket on one of the more reputable buses, if that fails I'll go on to Don Muang. Good thing they're in the same general direction anyway ;)

Why not take the night train to Chiang Mai and then the green Bus ?

That's another option of course, but that'll take me quite a while to get there. The good thing about the night bus to Mae Hong Son is that it passes right outside the Wat (well, have to walk 1.5 km, but that's doable). The place is on road 1095, about 40 km north of Mae Hong Son. Couldn't find any Green Bus routes between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son when I looked at their website?

• 10 months later...

I'm thinking of going at the end of February.  Wondered what you found out about taking the bus to Mae Hong Son.  Also, what is the weather in January like. 

Also, when I was there in 2013 there was a wonderful monk, not the abbot, who led the meditation sessions and instructions, I do no remember his name, but was he still the one leading the morning and afternoon sessions?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

recommendations for safe travels in the Kingdom, brought to you by Siam2007 who has been to 62 provinces:

1) never ever take Minivans unless an emergency or no other option to get to a destination (they usually don't provide space for luggage anyway). Long-distance high-speed Sawngthaew-journeys can be even more dangerous and terrifying.

2) Avoid night time journeys as even the drivers of the most reputable Bus companies may fall asleep (and if not them, then maybe the Bus driver of that Khaosan scammer Bus appearing from the opposite direction after driving for 18-hrs without a significant break).

3) avoid double-deckers as they are a lot lot more difficult to handle and control in a dangerous traffic situation. Actually years ago the government wanted to abolish them all, but (unsurprisingly) they are still around. If no other option than double-decker, avoid the first 2-3 rows on the upper level, as those bodies are most likely squeezed to death first if a head-on collision happens.

4) only use reputable companies such as NCA or 999 even if that means a slightly more inconvenient schedule or routing.

5) use the seat belt, even if nobody else does and the Thais on board giggle. If they don't stop giggling, show them the Thai language newspaper you have prepared, reporting the latest fatal Bus crash with explicit pictures and make them stop giggling that way.

5) use the train whenever possible and if there are no time constraints, it is safer than the Bus, albeit slower. Plus train stations are mostly located in downtown areas, whereas Bus stations are often in the middle of nowhere (Khonkaen, HuaHin comes to my mind) where usually a bunch of greedy Transport Mafia guys await Farang victims.

6) flights, albeit not environmentally friendly, are safer than Bus rides too, and sometimes even cheaper (as I just experienced this week -> 425 Baht to UBON)