Boat from Samui to Phangan

flip

Hi!

What is the easiest/"cheapest" way to go from Samui to Koh Phangan?

(How long do I need for the boat ride from S. to Phangan?)

And from where/which location do the ferries/boats start?

Is it ok just to do this on a day trip? Would like to rent a motorbike on Koh Phangan then and just check the island out..

Happy for any info/tip/recommendation.

Thnx a lot

Easiest way probably Lomprayah – which also has a minibus hotel-transfer at Samui – depending of where you stay at Samui, and where you are going to, at Koh Phangan. Cheapest probably the old ferry from Bang Rak to Haad Rin. Seatran has also an express ferry from Big Buddha Pier (Bang Rak) Transfer time about 30 minutes. A big car-ferry (that can take motorbikes) depart from Nathon twice a day. Lomprayah has an arranged day-trip, depart Samui 8am morning and returning about 4:30pm - Seatran probably also.

Haad Rin is mainly for young people and can be noisy due to ongoing parties – around Full Moon most accommodation is available only for 5 to 7 days.

The original old Koh Phangan ferry-boat sails from Maenam Beach (the old so-called "pier", which is now the beach) daily at 12 noon sharp, the ferry continue to Thong Nai Pan Lek and Tong Nai Pan Yai, which are two bays up north with crystal clear water and real paradise "Bounty island" atmosphere; nothing else to do but swimming and relaxing, and enjoying paradise. Bungalows there are quite affordable, and beachfront (use to be around 1200 baht w/aircon; fan only less). Price for ferry all way up is 350 baht, and to Haad Rin only about 250 baht. May be a good starting point to explore Koh Phangan from.

Perhaps another experienced user can give more tips about driving on motorbike around up there.

Haad Rin Queen boat sails 4 times a day, for 200 Baht. from the pier in Banrak close to Petcharat Marina. It's a 45/50' cross to the Haad Rin Pier.

Banrak Haad Rin: 9.30 - 13.00 - 16.00 - 18.30

Haad Rin Banrak: 10.30 -11.40 - 14.30 -17.30

Easy to rent a bike in Haad Rin (careful about the scratches scam)

Easiest way probably Lomprayah – which also has a minibus hotel-transfer at Samui – depending of where you stay at Samui, and where you are going to, at Koh Phangan. Cheapest probably the old ferry from Bang Rak to Haad Rin. Seatran has also an express ferry from Big Buddha Pier (Bang Rak) Transfer time about 30 minutes. A big car-ferry (that can take motorbikes) depart from Nathon twice a day. Lomprayah has an arranged day-trip, depart Samui 8am morning and returning about 4:30pm - Seatran probably also.

Haad Rin is mainly for young people and can be noisy due to ongoing parties – around Full Moon most accommodation is available only for 5 to 7 days.

The original old Koh Phangan ferry-boat sails from Maenam Beach (the old so-called "pier", which is now the beach) daily at 12 noon sharp, the ferry continue to Thong Nai Pan Lek and Tong Nai Pan Yai, which are two bays up north with crystal clear water and real paradise "Bounty island" atmosphere; nothing else to do but swimming and relaxing, and enjoying paradise. Bungalows there are quite affordable, and beachfront (use to be around 1200 baht w/aircon; fan only less). Price for ferry all way up is 350 baht, and to Haad Rin only about 250 baht. May be a good starting point to explore Koh Phangan from.

Perhaps another experienced user can give more tips about driving on motorbike around up there.

Agree, ^ with Lomprayah from Maenam to Tongsala, , you can ask for a return ticket which gives a bit of a discount... you have to say what time you return, suppose to leave Tongsala 4.20 but it depends if sea rough which can slow down the boat... It should take about 1/2 hour for the trip...

I seem to remember the Haad Rin Queen is like riding the slow boat to China...!

• 3 weeks later...

Haad Rin Queen boat sails 4 times a day, for 200 Baht. from the pier in Banrak close to Petcharat Marina. It's a 45/50' cross to the Haad Rin Pier.

I'm going to visit Full Moon Party at Phangan on 21/03. I've heard that on these days boat companies increase quantity of boats per day. Is it true?

I'm going to visit Full Moon Party at Phangan on 21/03. I've heard that on these days boat companies increase quantity of boats per day. Is it true?

The Full Moon Party in March is the 22nd, so you better plan for that date, which is also full-moon. Remember to check, as sometimes the party is moved one day before or after the actual full-moon, due to "Buddha Day". You can for example check here:

http://www.fullmoonpartykohphangan.com/schedule_dates/

or here:

http://fullmoonparty-thailand.com/schedules.html

If you are staying at Koh Samui and only commute to Haad Rin at the night of the party, there will be about 5-10 various speed boat operators saling over between 5 pm and midnight, and returning from about 1 am till 6 or 7 in the morning. Most companies plan one boat an house, but will sail when a boat is full; the operator I use have about 12-15 boats departing. Many of them departs from Bang Rak piers (there are more than one) and some also have a pick-up minibus-service to most resorts. Prices return are from about 700 to 1,000 baht, depending of operator and minibus service. On top you shall pay 100 baht for Full Moon Party entry-armband at Haad Rin pier.

If you are planning to stay in Haad Rin during the party, most resorts accepts only 5-nites stay during that period.

The Full Moon Party in March is the 22nd, so you better plan for that date, which is also full-moon. Remember to check, as sometimes the party is moved one day before or after the actual full-moon, due to "Buddha Day". You can for example check here:

or here:

If you are staying at Koh Samui and only commute to Haad Rin at the night of the party, there will be about 5-10 various speed boat operators saling over between 5 pm and midnight, and returning from about 1 am till 6 or 7 in the morning. Most companies plan one boat an house, but will sail when a boat is full; the operator I use have about 12-15 boats departing. Many of them departs from Bang Rak piers (there are more than one) and some also have a pick-up minibus-service to most resorts. Prices return are from about 700 to 1,000 baht, depending of operator and minibus service. On top you shall pay 100 baht for Full Moon Party entry-armband at Haad Rin pier.

If you are planning to stay in Haad Rin during the party, most resorts accepts only 5-nites stay during that period.

Tks a lot for usefull information.

or here:

Tks a lot for usefull information.

Thanks and ups whistling.gif – above shall say "one boat an hour" (not "an house").

Agree with what Khunper has said... ^ but will add! >

If one is not staying in Had Rin Ban Tai areas on KP .... there are taxi services from resorts on the other parts of the Island ... that take people to the FMP and back to Resort ... I believe it's 400 baht ....Usually signs posted at resorts.. Not all resorts charge the minimum 4 or 5 day stay.... (on other parts of KP)

On Samui, Grandsea Adventure Tours have now moved to Soi 1 Maenam... Their boats would now leave from there for their back trips that run from Samui to Had Rin and back... Best to book in advance, then any of the companies know how many boats and buses to organize! Lomlahk Tours may still be running from their per in Maenam also from Ban Rak. Just ask at booking agents! or go direct to the company offices...in advance!

If one is not staying in Had Rin Ban Tai areas on KP .... there are taxi services from resorts on the other parts of the Island ... that take people to the FMP and back to Resort ... I believe it's 400 baht ....Usually signs posted at resorts.. Not all resorts charge the minimum 4 or 5 day stay.... (on other parts of KP)

On Samui, Grandsea Adventure Tours have now moved to Soi 1 Maenam... Their boats would now leave from there for their back trips that run from Samui to Had Rin and back... Best to book in advance, then any of the companies know how many boats and buses to organize! Lomlahk Tours may still be running from their per in Maenam also from Ban Rak. Just ask at booking agents! or go direct to the company offices...in advance!

Lomlahk operate Full Moon Party speedboats from their Bang Rak pier (beach) only - they have a minibus hotel-pier v.v. shuttle service.

Last full-moon "Grand Sea" did not look like much activity at their Maenam pier (beach).

Even weather and sea may look calm from land, there can big fairly big waves at the tip of Koh Phangan – GF and I was recommended by our Lomlahk friends not to go the 23rd, and sure, the extra monsoon came just after – but normally it's calm enough in March. thumbsup.gif

In my opinion, it's not that fun if you are socking wet and freezing when arriving in Haad Rin – however, you can get warm from dancing – and just the thought of having to return back same way, especially when tired from party, can spoil the good atmosphere. sad.png

If you easily get sea-sick, sit in back of the boat, as the front (always) jumps quite a bit.

smile.png

Edited by khunPer

Lomlahk operate Full Moon Party speedboats from their Bang Rak pier (beach) only - they have a minibus hotel-pier v.v. shuttle service.

Last full-moon "Grand Sea" did not look like much activity at their Maenam pier (beach).

Even weather and sea may look calm from land, there can big fairly big waves at the tip of Koh Phangan – GF and I was recommended by our Lomlahk friends not to go the 23rd, and sure, the extra monsoon came just after – but normally it's calm enough in March. thumbsup.gif

In my opinion, it's not that fun if you are socking wet and freezing when arriving in Haad Rin – however, you can get warm from dancing – and just the thought of having to return back same way, especially when tired from party, can spoil the good atmosphere. sad.png

If you easily get sea-sick, sit in back of the boat, as the front (always) jumps quite a bit.

smile.png

I am not sure exactly when Grandsea, moved to Soi One .... it was fairly recently.... They are not back at Soi 4 near you and where they used to be.... wink.png

Grandsea staff are looking for new cheap digs around Maenam.... if anyone knows of any places! Because I know many of them, I tend to recommend them, and I get "royal treatment"when I use them ! thumbsup.gif tongue.png

Grandsea also offers seasick pills before a journey! Lomlahk does not! wink.png

Well at least the weather was greatly improved today, I did not make it to the beach today, but assume the sea was calmer too? .... let's hope it stays that way!

• 9 months later...

The price depends on which pier you are departing from in Samui. It's usually around 250 to 500 Baht. Boat ride takes 30 minutes to an hour. You may see the times and prices on the  FerrySamui website. Have used them before without any problems. They often give much lower ferry prices. You can certainly hire a motorbike and simply go on a day trip if that's what you want.