Buying my first bike - advice please

Payanak212

Once you're down to a short list of 3 or 4, can I suggest that you rent each of them for a couple of days? That way you'll find out which one works for you without the expense of buying a bike, only to find out later that you don't like it.

If you're over 5' 6, or a bit round, I'd recommend the PCX, more comfortable, though it doesn't slide through traffic quite as easily as some - but try one for yourself.

If you are a large guy, you might want to consider a Suzuki or Yamaha with the dual rear shocks. I have read that some of the single shock bikes have a tendency to "bottom out" when you hit a pot hole or bump in the road. Just a thought.

Nonsense.

Stick with a automatic, even the semi auto's are not for beginner's.

Yamaha mio or Honda click easy to ride and the pcx being bigger are a tad harder from the size.

Buy your bike and then do a driver training course if any are in your area.

Make sure you obtain your licence and buy and wear a good helmet.

Just avoid Yamaha. Buy Kawasaki for performance on difficult terrain, buy Suzuki for speed, buy Honda for ease. But who needs Yamaha?

Nonsense.

Yamaha exciter 150 rules motorbike space.

Pcx, giant lump of materials.

Driveline in the swing.

Not so funny with unsprung weight en masse.

Don't listen to the guy that says avoid Yamaha.

I have a new Yamaha GT125. Perfect handling and perfect brakes.

For 43500฿ it is hard to beat. Automatic with flat floor. Top speed 96km/h GPS.

The handling of this bike at higher speeds is very impressive.

I would recommend it as the perfect beginner bike.

Bright LED headlight and very stylish too!

post-41898-0-63114900-1453253689_thumb.j

Stay under 100cc , .then drive it mostly on the sidewalk for a year or so.until your learn to ride.

Drive on the sidewalk????? Are you off your head? what about the safety of the pedestrians?

Some peoples selfishness really amazes me.

Interesting reaction to that post.

You do know that riding on the sidewalk is legal in Thailand?

(Although I doubt the original poster was serious - far too many obstacles on the average sidewalk here for a beginner).

And what's with all the concern about riding with a clutch and gears?

I mean, if you can't coordinate your left wrist and left ankle then you probably shouldn't be in control of a motorcycle.

Stay under 100cc , .then drive it mostly on the sidewalk for a year or so.until your learn to ride.

Drive on the sidewalk????? Are you off your head? what about the safety of the pedestrians?

(Although I doubt the original poster was serious - far too many obstacles on the average sidewalk here for a beginner).

I mean, if you can't coordinate your left wrist and left ankle then you probably shouldn't be in control of a motorcycle.

You do know that riding on the sidewalk is legal in Thailand? No it is not, there was a clampdown in Bangkok last year when the police were stopping them
but as usual it only lasted a day.

You do know that riding on the sidewalk is legal in Thailand? No it is not, there was a clampdown in Bangkok last year when the police were stopping them
but as usual it only lasted a day.

It is not illegal to ride on the sidewalk in Thailand.

It is not illegal to ride on the sidewalk in Thailand. OK, we will just agree to disagree on this. But I'm sure the Thaivisa lawyer would agree with me, as he confirmed it some time ago.

Edited by seedy
font

attachicon.gifGT125LED.jpg

Wonder if this GT125 and the Nouvo SX use same power plant ??

Yamaha = good.

attachicon.gifGT125LED.jpg

Wonder if this GT125 and the Nouvo SX use same power plant ??

Yamaha = good.

I don't think it is. The new GT125 has a 'blue core' engine. Superior cooling apparently so it's air cooled rather than liquid cooled like the Nouvo or Click.

As a result(coz no cooling system) it's only 96kgs which is much lighter than the 111kg Nouvo or 113kg Click.

I have bought one of these Yamaha GTs to replace my Honda Airblade and it's certainly much quicker. i can't say if it's quicker than a Nouvo or Click, but with it being a new engine and about 15kgs lighter it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

I must say I'm really enjoying it and it's fun to ride. It handles really well and with a wider (rear) tyre than the Click or Nouvo, it feels pretty stable doing 100kph.

My only disappointment is that it only takes 70Baht to fill it (the Honda could take another litre) having said that, it seems to last for ages and doing the same mileage as the honda in a week, the honda would need filling after about 3.5 days whereas the yamaha lasts the whole week! (I'll leave the math to someone else.)

At 43,000B it's a steal!!!

post-80215-0-88212400-1453299432_thumb.j

Yamaha is just as good as Honda, I hate it when people are brand bitches.

For some reason the Thais thinks Honda's are the best, <deleted>? A funny story; when I picked up my Kawa Versys, my wife was busy so I took a motor bike taxi up to Kawa big bike on Sukhumvit road (Pattaya) and when we stopped, the taxi dude knew that I was picking up a big bike as I was wearing fullface/mesh jacket/boots and gloves. He asked repairs? I said no, new bike. He said why not Honda? I said; They don't have anything I fancy. He didn't like that answer at all, LOL.

The Harley dudes are the worst I ever encountered, when I owned one I got feed up with their fanaticism and got into several heated discussions but okay many were okay and made fun out of it.

Yamaha is just as good as Honda, I hate it when people are brand bitches.

And Anti-Brand too. Reminds me of what I read on another bike forum this AM. Poster said he bought some new tires, but they were not Chinese, they were made in Taiwan !

For a first bike, there is no substitute to simply just renting a few different bikes for a day or two, and then making your mind up by yourself.

Nothing is better than your own preference and comfort when choosing a scooter/small bike IMHO.

If we want to get into generalisations, I would say that "Hondas are usually cheaper and simpler", where as "Yamahas are usually more expensive and more innovative".

But that is just a large generalisation.

For a first bike, there is no substitute to simply just renting a few different bikes for a day or two, and then making your mind up by yourself.

Nothing is better than your own preference and comfort when choosing a scooter/small bike IMHO.

If we want to get into generalisations, I would say that "Hondas are usually cheaper and simpler", where as "Yamahas are usually more expensive and more innovative".

But that is just a large generalisation.

Normally just the most boring ones available for rent.