Single entry tourist visa and return flight date

I'm getting a single entry tourist visa from australia. How does it work with the return flight?

The visas for 60 days and I want to extend it at immigration for the xtra 30 days. My flights is April 1 - 25 june.

Question is:

Is that okay for when I land in bangkok? Having a return flight outside the 60 days on the visa, cos i plan on extending?

Should I expect any problem?

• You will have no problem with Thai immigration in BKK.

The only issue to consider is airline ticket confirmation when applying for the visa. If the embassy/consulate you apply at want confirmation of a return/onward flight they should accept one dated within 90 days. If not a cheap onward flight to any country will usually solve the problem.

• Like 2

You do not need a return or onward ticket if you have a valid visa for entry.

It's cheaper to buy the return ticket than two single tickets.

Because my return ticket will be dated beyond the visa date, I thought that might be some problem but as I understand you say I don't need a return or onward ticket anyways.

Having the return ticket dated beyond the visa date will not be a problem?

• 8 months later...

The only question which might arise is with the airline. I booked a three month return flight to BKK with Finnair a few years ago but only had a 60 day single entry tourist visa in my passport. At first they refused me boarding since I didn't have a valid visa for a 90 day period.

Fortunately though, it was the second time I'd obtained a 60 day tourist visa and was able to show them that one together with 30 day extension I'd obtained in Phuket.

When I'd flown the first time it had been with a different airline and they hadn't queried my visa in the same way that Finnair had down. Hopefully you won't have the same problem.

2 hours ago, Xircal said:

The only question which might arise is with the airline. I booked a three month return flight to BKK with Finnair a few years ago but only had a 60 day single entry tourist visa in my passport. At first they refused me boarding since I didn't have a valid visa for a 90 day period.

Fortunately though, it was the second time I'd obtained a 60 day tourist visa and was able to show them that one together with 30 day extension I'd obtained in Phuket.

When I'd flown the first time it had been with a different airline and they hadn't queried my visa in the same way that Finnair had down. Hopefully you won't have the same problem.

If the airline check in does not know the IATA rules on this, the supervisor normally will. If not, ask the supervisor nicely to rad the rules on Thailand, and note that onward tickets are only needed for visa exempt entry.

2 hours ago, Xircal said:

BritTim's reply to my post (above) led me to go check the IATA rules on visas. So this link may be useful to the OP: http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/TH-Thailand-passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm#

After filling in the respective details, the site will display the result regarding your proposed length of stay.

The airlines have more convenient access to the rules for each nationality. They can easily bring up pages like that at Visa Information : Destination Thailand, Nationality United Kingdom. Once they do, point them at the bit that says

Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward tickets could be refused entry

Immigration just wants you to hsve the visa, they won't usually require you to show a return flight.

If you overstay your departure date including the 30 day extension they will deal with that at the time by the overstay fine

So just don't overstay  or  be prepared to psy the fine for thr overstay.

As long ss you have a valid visa on entry to Thailand the airline or immigration won't  be concerned.