The elimination of taxes on imported alcohol, that was part of the recent 7th charter?

From what I understand, one of the top aspects of the 7th ASEAN charter, which went into effect on new years eve, was the complete abolition of taxes, on all alcoholic beverages across ASEAN borders. Thailand is now supposed to be able to import all beer, and liquor from all ASEAN nations, duty free, and visa versa. All duty is supposed to be eliminated, completely, in this category. Has anyone seen an influx of Bintang beer, on the Thai supermarket shelves? Or have the powers that be at Chang and Singha gotten to the parliament and Little P., and bought their way out of this one too?

I have to assume there might be some blowback, if Thailand ignores this. There is simply too much money at stake, for them to get away with completely ignoring the aspects of a major charter they signed onto.

Could Thailand become a pariah state within ASEAN?

Kinda goes against the current grain of getting people here to be more responsible when it comes to drinking...

When I was a kid I had some goldfish. My father warned me not to overfeed them, since they would eat until their stomachs ruptured and they died.

My father was wrong about that and one should not overfeed fish because the uneaten food rots in the water.

Do you really have even less self control than a goldfish?

Regarding the OP, Thailand should have had tax-free imports of Australian beer for years, yet Coopers is still more than five AUS a bottle at retail. Basically it will never happen.

As far as blowback, no. I expect Thailand will get a pass like it does when it violates it's other treaty obligations.

Edit: I'm sure the Thais expect a pass as well.

Edited by BudRight

I'd love to get some Laos Beer over here a Thai beer prices!

Beer Lao has been available for bottom prices at Macro forever; around 1100b or () so for a box full.

Completely besides the point. There were supposed to be dozens of beers available throughout SE Asia, available for distribution and sale here in Thailand, due to this charter coming into effect. Looks like just another example of Thailand completely ignoring its legal obligations. Perhaps the neighbors will start putting pressure on Thailand to live up to its end of the bargain, and not simply do as it pleases. It is no longer the great tiger it once was.

Duty on imported alcohol is not the problem, with or without ASEAN

The WTO has admonished Thailand several times for not living up to Free Trade Agreements that they have signed in the past with several countries in and out of Asia. The most notable being between Thailand and Australia

Thailand is able to circumvent these trade agreements by not charging Import Duty but by levying an Excise Tax on imported alcohol

I asked the owner of my local Mini mart, if the price for Carlsberg and Beer Lao was going to be cheaper, because of the ASEAN Economic Community.

I see her (the owner) as an educated women, and she speaks good English, but she responded: What is ASEAN?.

I tried to explain, but just got a bland look.

That makes me wonder, if the common Thai knows about it.

Apparently nothing has changed, so why should they!?.