• Latest posts...

1. 45

Reasons of change

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

5. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

6. 45

Reasons of change

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

9. 45

Reasons of change

10. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

11. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

12. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Triple circumnavigation of Phuket proves too much for Aussie

rooster59

Triple circumnavigation of Phuket proves too much for Aussie

1_20161994451753_DZohSVOmJoGflFLIYwMKDtE

Photo: Damien Rider

PHUKET: An Australian living and training on Phuket came to a staggering halt at about 6 kilometers from the end of his epic three-day, 430km challenge.

The endurance sport attempt began on January 3 as Damien Rider, 40, set out to circumnavigate Phuket by prone paddleboarding, stand-up paddleboarding (SUP) and running.

After deciding to combine prone and SUP, Mr Rider was just a couple hours past nightfall on day one of the trip when things got scary and he was forced to shorten the challenge.

“The first day on the paddleboard was my toughest paddle to date. Nothing was going in my favor and I was fighting with the board the whole time with side winds making it nearly impossible to get the board to where I wanted it to go,” Mr Rider told the Phuket Gazette. “I then had to paddle through the night and came across a new set of challenges: dodging boats while crossing bays. After 75km, I came in, slept for six hours and then took on the running lap of Phuket.”

The truncation of the paddle brought Mr Rider’s ambitious challenge down from 430km in three days to 205km in two days. But even that distance pushed the Aussie beyond his physical capabilities, as his body ground to a halt 6km shy of the end of the run.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Triple-circumnavigation-Phuket-proves-much-Aussie/62842?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-01-09

I did 100km on bicycle in one day... I could not get out of bed for 2 days after that. That made me realize that just because I was used to doing 20-40km a day with no problem it was not enough to prepare me to do 100km in a single day.