Penang visa run

Hi anybody please tell me how quickly me and my partner can get a 60 day tourist visa in penang (is there an express service) as we are flying there and i need dates for return flight

we are from uk currently living in the krabi region,

we have already obtained a 60 day tourist visa from penang and has been extended we have been told we should get another dont know if anybody thinks otherwise but all comments would be appreciated thanks in advance jez

There used to be an express same day service but it has been cancelled (I was there 10 days ago).

As stated above - apply before 11am on a week day and pick up after 2pm the next week day.

Did they ask for any additional documents besides standard application form, passport and photos?

I wasn't applying for a TV - mine was a Non O (retirement).

But the next day pick-up is on their website.

Very interested in finding out more about your experience in getting a Non-O (retirement) from Penang, would you recommend it as a good option for people looking to get their 1st Non-O?

Any tips on hotels to stay near the embassy there?

Many Thanks

JB

Edited by JB300

The Consulate is on Tunku Abdul Rahman jalan which is in a residential area so no hotels nearby.

But taxis are reasonable and they all know the Thai Consulate.

I stayed at Northam Suites near the beach as I needed something with easy access and an elevator and it was a mini holiday with my TG.

The tour operators (Who do everything for you for a fee of about 300 baht) are mostly located around Chulia Jalan, in the Heritage Precinct, where there are many small guesthouses and boutique hotels.

So get onto a hotel booking site, check out a map and make your choice to suit - you'll need at least one night, depending on how early you arrive in Penang.

Banana Tours, located at the New Banana Guesthouse (326 Chulia Jalan) has been recommended often here and they also run minivans from Phuket - so a "one-stop shop".

If you have the 800kTHB in a bank then the tour operators are straight forward - I ran into a hiccup with them because I was using the Pensions income plus bank deposit method which seemed to confuse them.

I spent the extra 30 ringitt on taxis and did it myself at the Consulate - relatively quick and no nasty surprises.

Apply on a weekday morning before 11am and pick up the next weekday between 2-4 pm.

Closed on Thai and Malaysian public holidays so check the Consulate website before booking your trip.

I can certainly recommend Penang Consulate for a first 3 month single entry non-Immi O visa (retirement) for a one year extension at your local Thai Immi office.

Penang is a very colourful and historic town (Georgetown being an old spice trading port) renowned for its food.

• Like 1