Australian Visa/Migration question

Thai lady with 2 teenage children who have Australian passports.

The father has long since departed the scene,

She is consideration migration to Australia and is asking what options she has. Without a partner/sponsor in Oz I would imagine that the choices are limited.

I am not an Australian visa expert, but some thoughts...

The Thai mother would have to apply via the usual migrant application process. As a sole foreign parent, unless she has professional qualifications in demand in the Oz labour market, I would assume she has just about zero chance for being granted permanent entry. As an idea she could contact Thai friends or ex husbands' friends in Oz, if say they own a restaurant, who could sponsor her for a work visa though she would not qualify for child support tax concession, Medicare etc Otherwise I assume when her children are old enough to relocate to Oz and obtain employment they could eventually sponsor their mother NB: there is not an automatic right for a family reunion visa and apparently numbers are capped on an annual quota basis.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

A parent visa is an option if the children are residing/settled in Australia. Once they turn 18 they could then sponsor her. Before they turn 18, an Australia relative (eg. grandparent of children) could sponsor her. Otherwise the usual paths of student visa, work visa or partner visa could be worked towards.

• Like 1