Farang dating "light skinned" Thai women - feasibility?

freefallin

I would just like to add my worthless observation.

I always found it interesting why is it some kind of an achievement to date a light skinned "hiso" in Thailand (a term obviously misused, as none of those girls are hiso).

I do look like an old goblin and managed to date one of those in Canada - a university student too... also much younger and in Toronto which is the worst city to be for a single male. Honestly, I always thought Thai girls are not very picky as to what foreigner they date, so as long as you look ok and are a bit funny it is just a matter of asking them out.

I do not have a lot of experience with Thai women, so maybe I just got lucky. However, I do know one hi-so here in Thailand and she married a Thai guy that is not rich at all. However, he is not lazy and does help a lot around the house.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez, you people are talking as though so-called "hi-so" Thai women represent the global pinnacle of womanhood.

Don't make me laugh

Any guy looking for real class from an Asian woman would be in Japan chasing the real McKoy.

He wouldn't be sniffing around vacuous, branded clothes horses with precious little intellectual curiosity who probably regard themselves as too precious to stand over a bloody stove.

I agree with you most times, CH, but not this time. You make it sound as if Japanese women are the gold standard. Having dated quite a few, I think not. The guys on this thread aren't really talking about "hi so" Thai girls because they're never going to get near one. But just a middle class young hottie who doesn't need the farangs money, perhaps that's what they're talking about. As for this intellectual curiosity silliness, why do you guys keep spewing that nonsense? Because if you get right down to it, I haven't met many westerners who possess what I consider true intellectual curiosity. So let's just call it what it is--the girls you date aren't interested in the same things you are.

Jeez, you people are talking as though so-called "hi-so" Thai women represent the global pinnacle of womanhood.

Don't make me laugh

Any guy looking for real class from an Asian woman would be in Japan chasing the real McKoy.

He wouldn't be sniffing around vacuous, branded clothes horses with precious little intellectual curiosity who probably regard themselves as too precious to stand over a bloody stove.

I agree with you most times, CH, but not this time. You make it sound as if Japanese women are the gold standard. Having dated quite a few, I think not. The guys on this thread aren't really talking about "hi so" Thai girls because they're never going to get near one. But just a middle class young hottie who doesn't need the farangs money, perhaps that's what they're talking about. As for this intellectual curiosity silliness, why do you guys keep spewing that nonsense? Because if you get right down to it, I haven't met many westerners who possess what I consider true intellectual curiosity. So let's just call it what it is--the girls you date aren't interested in the same things you are.

Nah that's not it . . . I don't expect Thai women to be interested in the things I am but I do expect any potential partner's interests to extend beyond photographing som tam, Hello Kitty and lakorn gossip.

As far as Westerners not being intellectually curious is concerned, I guess you haven't been as fortunate as I have. I've met lots of Westerners with whom I can sit and talk for hours on a range of subjects beyond the cost of a short time, the best happy hour on Nana or the merits of cosh versus cudgel when in the middle of a soccer hooligan fight "back in the day".

My experiences with Japanese women have all been positive - they've been charming, graceful and interesting . . . compared to Thai women, they're superior.

Are they a gold standard? Globally, maybe not but in Asia, they're right up there

Don't make me laugh

Nah that's not it . . . I don't expect Thai women to be interested in the things I am but I do expect any potential partner's interests to extend beyond photographing som tam, Hello Kitty and lakorn gossip.

As far as Westerners not being intellectually curious is concerned, I guess you haven't been as fortunate as I have. I've met lots of Westerners with whom I can sit and talk for hours on a range of subjects beyond the cost of a short time, the best happy hour on Nana or the merits of cosh versus cudgel when in the middle of a soccer hooligan fight "back in the day".

My experiences with Japanese women have all been positive - they've been charming, graceful and interesting . . . compared to Thai women, they're superior.

Are they a gold standard? Globally, maybe not but in Asia, they're right up there

Re Japanese women, an attractive one is really attractive, just like Korean women. But on average, Thailand has more reasonably attractive women, in my opinion. And to further support my point, if I preferred Japanese women, I'd marry one...or at least be living in Japan.

As for intellectual curiosity, I think you and I differ on what it means. Talking for hours with your mates in a common language on topics that you're both interested in, that's not intellectual curiosity. An example of true intellectual curiosity would be a foreigner choosing to live in Thailand and wanting to learn the language and more about the culture and history of Thailand. Do you know a lot of westerners like that? And I don't mean guys who are interested in how Thai girls think in order to find the most expedient way to get into her pants.

Most westerners in Thailand are more interested in talking about stuff they know and understand, not learning new stuff. That's what I've experienced.

Thong Lo? Ekkamai for hiso? Maybe you mean prostitutes? God, people really have no clue what that are talking about here. "Hiso" live in all parts of the city and are definitely not confined to farang areas like Ekkamai. I know a few who don't even live in luxury even though their property is worth several BILLION baht

But Thong Lor and Ekkamai are NOT prostitute areas. They are areas where middle class Thai's go to eat, drink and party. I can't recall ever seeing any obvious hookers around there. You don't even really see the farang low class / bar girl Thai couples there that is so prevalent in many other areas of Bangkok.

The vast majority of people in Thong Lor and Ekkamai pubs / bars / restaurants are Thai. Yes there are plenty of farangs around too but it's like that all over Bangkok. But it's predominately a Thai area with thai nightlife.

Edited by TheSpade

It might be easier to find yourself a legit Chinese girl and tell everyone she's Chinese-Thai.

But seriously, it depends on how good looking you are and how much money you have. If you look like a European football star, you can probably hang with those girls, and possibly get em in bed. If youve got money too, then they might introduce you to their families. But if youre not in a position to buy 500 baht cocktails and 3,000 baht dinners every other night, then why bother? Sure, Ive heard of eccentric rich Thai girls that fell for young, low-wage foreigners and had their fathers take care of the bills, but is that what you really want? Seems kinda emasculating to me.

In general, Id say the kind of Thai girl you described dating a foreigner happens about as often as a wealthy white girl back home dates a minority from the ghetto.

Awesome reply buddy. Great insight. Appreciate it. I don't really care whether im introduced to the family or not. Matter of fact, i prefer they don't introduce me. Im in it for the fun. So basically, nothing serious. Just two consensual adults having fun.

Im not rich...so no, i won't be buying 3000baht dinners every other day. Once a week though, i could easily afford. But my mind frame is totally different than most. In the west, i let the girl buy me drinks...and dinner...not that i can't afford it...its just the frame i set from the get go. I am the prize as much as you could be and you will have to work for me...you'd be surprised how well having that kind of mind frame works. So im just wondering...how well would that mind frame work in Thailand with the above mentioned girls?

I ask because of how conscious Thai women are dating farangs because of the stigma it carries.

In Thailand money overcomes any stigma, the real stigma is not having any money!

Don't make me laugh

Re Japanese women, an attractive one is really attractive, just like Korean women. But on average, Thailand has more reasonably attractive women, in my opinion. And to further support my point, if I preferred Japanese women, I'd marry one...or at least be living in Japan.

As for intellectual curiosity, I think you and I differ on what it means. Talking for hours with your mates in a common language on topics that you're both interested in, that's not intellectual curiosity. An example of true intellectual curiosity would be a foreigner choosing to live in Thailand and wanting to learn the language and more about the culture and history of Thailand. Do you know a lot of westerners like that? And I don't mean guys who are interested in how Thai girls think in order to find the most expedient way to get into her pants.

Most westerners in Thailand are more interested in talking about stuff they know and understand, not learning new stuff. That's what I've experienced.

Being intellectually curious means 1) wanting to learn about and discuss new things and 2) caring what other people think and feel. My experience has been Thai people as a whole largely lack both of those qualities. They either seem like they dont know what to say to me or only want to discuss juvenile topics in a childish manner. True, some foreigners arent interested in learning new things. But most of the ones I encounter care what I think and can have a decent enough conversation. Same with the Japanese, Laos, Filipinos, and pretty much every other people besides Thais.

It might be easier to find yourself a legit Chinese girl and tell everyone she's Chinese-Thai.

But seriously, it depends on how good looking you are and how much money you have. If you look like a European football star, you can probably hang with those girls, and possibly get em in bed. If youve got money too, then they might introduce you to their families. But if youre not in a position to buy 500 baht cocktails and 3,000 baht dinners every other night, then why bother? Sure, Ive heard of eccentric rich Thai girls that fell for young, low-wage foreigners and had their fathers take care of the bills, but is that what you really want? Seems kinda emasculating to me.

In general, Id say the kind of Thai girl you described dating a foreigner happens about as often as a wealthy white girl back home dates a minority from the ghetto.

Awesome reply buddy. Great insight. Appreciate it. I don't really care whether im introduced to the family or not. Matter of fact, i prefer they don't introduce me. Im in it for the fun. So basically, nothing serious. Just two consensual adults having fun.

Im not rich...so no, i won't be buying 3000baht dinners every other day. Once a week though, i could easily afford. But my mind frame is totally different than most. In the west, i let the girl buy me drinks...and dinner...not that i can't afford it...its just the frame i set from the get go. I am the prize as much as you could be and you will have to work for me...you'd be surprised how well having that kind of mind frame works. So im just wondering...how well would that mind frame work in Thailand with the above mentioned girls?

I ask because of how conscious Thai women are dating farangs because of the stigma it carries.

In Thailand money overcomes any stigma, the real stigma is not having any money!

Tell that to all the mothers and fathers who constantly remind their daughters that foreigners are scum who only want a quick shag.

Tell that to all the mothers and fathers who constantly remind their daughters that foreigners are scum who only want a quick shag.

Go to bed,i'm not biting !

Thong Lo? Ekkamai for hiso? Maybe you mean prostitutes? God, people really have no clue what that are talking about here. "Hiso" live in all parts of the city and are definitely not confined to farang areas like Ekkamai. I know a few who don't even live in luxury even though their property is worth several BILLION baht

But Thong Lor and Ekkamai are NOT prostitute areas. They are areas where middle class Thai's go to eat, drink and party. I can't recall ever seeing any obvious hookers around there. You don't even really see the farang low class / bar girl Thai couples there that is so prevalent in many other areas of Bangkok.

The vast majority of people in Thong Lor and Ekkamai pubs / bars / restaurants are Thai. Yes there are plenty of farangs around too but it's like that all over Bangkok. But it's predominately a Thai area with thai nightlife.

Id say you just need to look a little harder at some of those women.

You do realise that a woman wearing revealing clothing and having a good time with her friends in a nightclub isn't automatically considered a prostitute, right?

You do realise that a woman wearing revealing clothing and having a good time with her friends in a nightclub isn't automatically considered a prostitute, right?

Of course. But Ive also been to those clubs with groups of girls that just finished their shifts on Ratchada. Plus, it is BKK and I dont see any signs on the doors that say "off-duty hookers not allowed". So theyre there. There are also "made" hookers that dont really work anymore, but are much the same in my mind.

Well this old dude here dated a light skin Thai for a while, she was a honey, not hi so just middle class and some Chinese in her from way back.

Not impossible to date a well off hi so provided you have class, impeccable grooming and dress sense and a flow of cash to keep her in not only what she is accustomed to but expectations as well.

One thing you might be over looking, Asians in particular if there got it (wealth) they show it, and if there dating you they expect you to be as well off as them, I was dropped by an Indonesian Chinese after 3 months, she came to study in AU, I am ok off, then had the BMW coupe dressed well and groom well so on the surface I made the cut, eventually when she knew me better she told me her family would never accept me and gave me a kiss goodbye.

With the hope of obtaining a fresh (point of view) perspective, I read all 77 previous posts! Unbelievable! Four pages of actual earnest replies, to such a superficial OP topic thread. Sigh! whistling.gif So much for the Farang "Pub" realities, eh?

Edited by NativeSon360

With the hope of obtaining a fresh (point of view) perspective, I read all 77 previous posts! Unbelievable! Four pages of actual earnest replies, to such a superficial OP topic thread. Sigh! whistling.gif So much for the Farang "Pub" realities, eh?

You bothered to read every one.....my my.....says a lot about you

Well this old dude here dated a light skin Thai for a while, she was a honey, not hi so just middle class and some Chinese in her from way back.

Not impossible to date a well off hi so provided you have class, impeccable grooming and dress sense and a flow of cash to keep her in not only what she is accustomed to but expectations as well.

One thing you might be over looking, Asians in particular if there got it (wealth) they show it, and if there dating you they expect you to be as well off as them, I was dropped by an Indonesian Chinese after 3 months, she came to study in AU, I am ok off, then had the BMW coupe dressed well and groom well so on the surface I made the cut, eventually when she knew me better she told me her family would never accept me and gave me a kiss goodbye.

Same happened to me. I was with much younger Thai girl who was studying in Canada. Together for 2 years and dumped by her parents.

One thing however is I think these women are not "true" hiso girls, just garbage. I have a pleasure of knowing a true well off girl through my wife and she is quite a normal person and hangs around people from all social circles. She married a decent non hiso guy and we even had a pleasure of having her at our loso wedding just a few days ago.

The women described as "hiso" in this thread are just low class women with new-found money.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum