Sister of murdered backpacker Hannah Witheridge receives death threats

webfact

How long before the shills arrive? Must me sleeping late today.

They've already arrived. Check out #23!

Even if what Laura says is true, there is the possibility the threats are coming from some low-life scum not associated with Thailand or the murderers.

So you believe Laura can't distinguish a genuine threat from a troll? 92% of ThaiVisa users can.. I'm quite sure Laura knows when a threat is of concern. A one off troll wouldn't get mention, how about her being followed in her car? Many others have been threatened by Thais since this crime occurred.. Why? Thais would hang these two Burmese out first thing and it'd be over if the B2 were the killers. I don't believe they are, I see them as a level above slaves belonging to people who are a few levels lower than past time slave owners.

You talkin' to me?

I did in no way insinuate the threats were not real. I said the threats may come from others not associated with Thailand or the murderers. It seems a definite possibility since Laura is in the UK and the world is filled with low-life numb-nuts.

Your nonsensical retort serves only to support that posit.

Apologies, I must've confused you for one of the others who believe Laura couldn't have been threatened in relation to her sisters death. I hope Laura does give an interview or proper statement through an attorney, So fellas who don't believe her post can eat their words.

So... the Thais who have threatened Translators, Netizens and website admins, wouldn't threaten Laura? I see no reason she would make all of this up and I think she would know whether she's being threatened by a westerner or not.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading reports that 297 Thai court and Justice websites have been attacked by Anonymous..

There was a big thread on <rule 1 of the interwebz prevents me from mentioning the name> .

This ain't going away.

Anonymous are also claiming to have pictures that prove that Luke Miller's death was 'more than just a drowning'

Edited by TheLobster

Thai obfuscation in criminal matters to protect the tourism sector pre-dates all of the cases mentioned by Anonymous in the YouTube account. Back in the late nineties at lEast 10 foreigners, possibly more, including Germans, Austrians, French and Japanese were murdered and dumped beside the highway after having caught taxis at Don Mueang.

It was only after the consular corps involved Interpol that the RTP did anything at all. Surely no one is in any doubt that they would do anything to cover up violence against foreigners but they seem not to have noticed that the level of scrutinyy they face today, through social media and a deeply skeptical public, is very different from 20 years ago.

Thai obfuscation in criminal matters to protect the tourism sector pre-dates all of the cases mentioned by Anonymous in the YouTube account. Back in the late nineties at lEast 10 foreigners, possibly more, including Germans, Austrians, French and Japanese were murdered and dumped beside the highway after having caught taxis at Don Mueang.

It was only after the consular corps involved Interpol that the RTP did anything at all. Surely no one is in any doubt that they would do anything to cover up violence against foreigners but they seem not to have noticed that the level of scrutinyy they face today, through social media and a deeply skeptical public, is very different from 20 years ago.

100% correct, so why do some on here almost side with the police when this has been self evident for decades..

But it's much wider than covering up murders..take the AIDS pandemic ...the Thais were told that it was a foreign disease..( bkp)... Yet women and men were dying in the 1000's in local hospitals..it took local activists to remedy that plus irrefutable evidence..it's an in built instinct.

Face and non accountability have consequences..

Reading reports that 297 Thai court and Justice websites have been attacked by Anonymous..

There was a big thread on <rule 1 of the interwebz prevents me from mentioning the name> .

This ain't going away.

Anonymous are also claiming to have pictures that prove that Luke Miller's death was 'more than just a drowning'

where did you read this TheLobster?

This ain't going away.

Where can I see this? I have tried looking on their twitter and facebook.

This is an extremely difficult and sensitive case and has drawn widespread interest in Thailand and Worldwide. I do not doubt that the Facebook post by Laura was accurate. As I mentioned before- I honestly believe something was lost in translation regarding the statements. Unless one is very skilled in both the Thai language and the cultural meaning- poor translations can make an intended well meaning statement into a very cold and coarse statement. Without hearing the Thai and how it was translated it is impossible to judge the intent. Communication issues are one of the biggest problems in cross cultural situations in Thailand. Just ask any long term expat. As far as threats against life and liberty- widespread publicity brings out the worst type of person to make crass and crude comments for whatever reason. Many of these hanger-ons are mentally ill in the same manner an arsonist must view the fires they set.

The Anonymous clip summarizes the case quite well and points out areas that need investigation. I would hope the defense team has their own investigators working on these inconsistencies and can point them out during the appeal phase.Also, remember the prosecution will not sit by idly and will have a response whether we agree or not, I could point out other cases in Thailand that are similar but then I can also point out other cases in America that are also similar. No matter what country these type of cases occur it appears once the police are 'satisfied' with their investigation the wagons become circled and the police, prosecutors and others become more adamant they are right. This case will eventually go to the Supreme Court for the final conclusion. My heart goes ou to the families. They are in for a lengthy ordeal,

The statements made by Thais to the sister sound to me exactly what a Thai person would say but in the Thai language the meaning is much different than what the translation into English purports to say, I doubt these statements were meant to be hurtful.

the problem is who is saying it and how is it translated and by whom and is there any explanation of the cultural context in which the statements are made and why it is being stated. In my many years in Thailand, I have often been irritated by statements Thai make but once the context is explained and I understand why' the statement is not as irritating. Obviously the sister is irritated by the translations and given the nature of this situation rightly so. I doubt an adequate explanation was ever given to her. While I do not believe guilt was proven in this case, I don't want extraneous cultural issues to obscure the real issues.

What I find extremely interesting and credible is the Anonymous clip which summarizes the case entirely and connects the handling of prior cases to the way investigations are handled. There is also another tape in Thai out there in Which Khun Sondhi explains process. The only way any of this will be solved is through the judicial process of Appeals and ultimately to the Thai Supreme Court.

Then MAYBE Thai- officialdom should learn some frogging English, when they want/ have to deal with people from other countries!

By the way: I really try to grasp, what could have been lost in translation, if something like "What are you doing here? You can go home and make another one!" is being said to a family, who just lost their daughter in a murder and rape- case!

bah.gif

The statements made by Thais to the sister sound to me exactly what a Thai person would say but in the Thai language the meaning is much different than what the translation into English purports to say, I doubt these statements were meant to be hurtful.

the problem is who is saying it and how is it translated and by whom and is there any explanation of the cultural context in which the statements are made and why it is being stated. In my many years in Thailand, I have often been irritated by statements Thai make but once the context is explained and I understand why' the statement is not as irritating. Obviously the sister is irritated by the translations and given the nature of this situation rightly so. I doubt an adequate explanation was ever given to her. While I do not believe guilt was proven in this case, I don't want extraneous cultural issues to obscure the real issues.

What I find extremely interesting and credible is the Anonymous clip which summarizes the case entirely and connects the handling of prior cases to the way investigations are handled. There is also another tape in Thai out there in Which Khun Sondhi explains process. The only way any of this will be solved is through the judicial process of Appeals and ultimately to the Thai Supreme Court.

Then MAYBE Thai- officialdom should learn some frogging English, when they want/ have to deal with people from other countries!

By the way: I really try to grasp, what could have been lost in translation, if something like "What are you doing here? You can go home and make another one!" is being said to a family, who just lost their daughter in a murder and rape- case!

bah.gif

We need to know which individuals who said the words, was it inside the courtroom , prosecution officials? Was it someone she met outside ? Would be nice to name and shame those individuals.

This ain't going away.

They haven't completed the Photoshop job yet....

bah.gif

I was going to say the same thing DM07.

Now the Buddhist belief of reincarnation MIGHT of sounded comforting if it was explained in the proper way. However "She is already dead, why do you still care?" and "Just go and make another one"....How can that ever be explained properly?

Here's the answer. It CAN'T! The judges wanted this all done and wrapped up because they had been paid for and instructed to by their masters.

This ain't going away.

Try google 297 Thai courts hacked by anonymous, or key words to that end, maybe you WILL have more luck

People have to remember that the Headman and family are worth hundreds of millions of dollars/pounds not baht! That sort of power buys a lot of friends

Bloody hell that's serious money, where did you see that?

The only threats I've seen directed at the families (or anyone else) have come from people that believe the B2 are innocent scapegoats.

Here's one, still up in this forum:

"the Millers will soon regret their speech....Karma's gonna come knocking..."

Same for sending and distributing pictures of the bodies of both victims, now the same people want to turn around and say "how horrible!".

Right now, on David Miller & Hannah Witheridge Tribute page there are close ups of David's wounds posted by a CSI LA fan.

I can't believe the hypocrisy I see at play here.

Unless you believe, that "Karma" is the name of a hitman, this is at best a prediction but no threat!

bah.gif

Now the Buddhist belief of reincarnation MIGHT of sounded comforting if it was explained in the proper way. However "She is already dead, why do you still care?" and "Just go and make another one"....How can that ever be explained properly?

Here's the answer. It CAN'T! The judges wanted this all done and wrapped up because they had been paid for and instructed to by their masters.

That this was actually said was in the part of her post that was already deleted before the whole post was miraculously deleted. She claimed that it was said by court officials to her family during the trial. Surely someone from the defense team should be able to verify that? Or could it be that these claims were unsubstantiated and that therefore she was advised to delete that part?

I am not surpised at all that the whole post has been deleted as in a reply to a comment she claimed to have reported the threats to the police and blamed them for not following up. Another claim she could not substantiate?

This is a disgrace

if substantiated I do hope that The UK police act

rather than sweep it under the table in order that diplomacy reigns

I don't believe this - she probably made it up in a tit-for-tat spat with the Thai authorities after questioning their (admittedly) appalling, error stricken investigation. This absurd statement alludes more to the mind of a teenage girl than a Thai, I just don't see a Thai doing this at all.

I hope that she has some form of proof to back this up, otherwise she might find herself in a great deal of trouble!!

'A Thai would never do this' :D

I see that the veiled threat is becoming a recurring theme. Their strategy toward Laura is even more nauseating than I predicted.

This ain't going away.

Try google 297 Thai courts hacked by anonymous, or key words to that end, maybe you WILL have more luck

um, yeah, but that doesn't turn up anything about these alleged photos of Luke Miller.

I'm call shenanigans on that until I see something credible!

the Laura's post on Facebook has been removed (incl. all shared attachments!)

It has probably dawned on her that she is playing with fire in making these scurrilous accusations and it is damage limitation mode from here (she hopes)!!

Another veiled threat.

This is a disgrace

I don't believe this - she probably made it up in a tit-for-tat spat with the Thai authorities after questioning their (admittedly) appalling, error stricken investigation. This absurd statement alludes more to the mind of a teenage girl than a Thai, I just don't see a Thai doing this at all.

I hope that she has some form of proof to back this up, otherwise she might find herself in a great deal of trouble!!

'A Thai would never do this' biggrin.png

I see that the veiled threat is becoming a recurring theme. Their strategy toward Laura is even more nauseating than I predicted.

I find the strategy toward Laura of feeding her with all your conspiracies and driving an already paranoid person crazy even more nauseating. bah.gif

How long before the shills arrive? Must me sleeping late today.

They've already arrived. Check out #23!

Even if what Laura says is true, there is the possibility the threats are coming from some low-life scum not associated with Thailand or the murderers.

So you believe Laura can't distinguish a genuine threat from a troll? 92% of ThaiVisa users can.. I'm quite sure Laura knows when a threat is of concern. A one off troll wouldn't get mention, how about her being followed in her car? Many others have been threatened by Thais since this crime occurred.. Why? Thais would hang these two Burmese out first thing and it'd be over if the B2 were the killers. I don't believe they are, I see them as a level above slaves belonging to people who are a few levels lower than past time slave owners.

You talkin' to me?

I did in no way insinuate the threats were not real. I said the threats may come from others not associated with Thailand or the murderers. It seems a definite possibility since Laura is in the UK and the world is filled with low-life numb-nuts.

Your nonsensical retort serves only to support that posit.

Apologies, I must've confused you for one of the others who believe Laura couldn't have been threatened in relation to her sisters death. I hope Laura does give an interview or proper statement through an attorney, So fellas who don't believe her post can eat their words.

So... the Thais who have threatened Translators, Netizens and website admins, wouldn't threaten Laura? I see no reason she would make all of this up and I think she would know whether she's being threatened by a westerner or not.

Apology accepted.

However, I think you need to rethink some of your position. First, how would Laura be sure of the nationality of someone who communicates online, or who follows her at night? Second, how do you know it is Thais who have threatened her? Third, it is possible she is so stressed-out that she is confused and exaggerating the threats. Fourth, it is also possible that the threats have come from low-life scum who are not directly involved with the murders, who enjoy hurting others mentally and emotionally, but do not intend physical harm.

I too would like to see her statements legitimized through factual verification and an attorney.

This ain't going away.

um, yeah, but that doesn't turn up anything about these alleged photos of Luke Miller.

I'm call shenanigans on that until I see something credible!

Lol....fair call... I hope someone else out there can direct you with more accuracy.

This is a disgrace

I find the strategy toward Laura of feeding her with all your conspiracies and driving an already paranoid person crazy even more nauseating. bah.gif

Well.....nice little earner at stake and all that, who's surprised?

Third, it is possible she is so stressed-out that she is confused and exaggerating the threats.

As said:I find the strategy toward Laura of feeding her with all your conspiracies and driving an already paranoid person crazy even more nauseating. bah.gif

Not sure I understand what you mean. Are you agreeing with me that Laura may be so stressed-out? Or, are you suggesting I have some strategy to feed Laura conspiracy theories?

bah.gif

That this was actually said was in the part of her post that was already deleted before the whole post was miraculously deleted. She claimed that it was said by court officials to her family during the trial. Surely someone from the defense team should be able to verify that? Or could it be that these claims were unsubstantiated and that therefore she was advised to delete that part?

I am not surpised at all that the whole post has been deleted as in a reply to a comment she claimed to have reported the threats to the police and blamed them for not following up. Another claim she could not substantiate?

She said that the British police logged in and first edited her post and has now deleted it.

Funny that out of all the people in this charade you accuse of lying is the bereaving sister of the accused. Not the corrupt, bumbling Thai authorities or the sick, bullying Thai mafia. No no no, it's Laura making up things whistling.gif

Third, it is possible she is so stressed-out that she is confused and exaggerating the threats.

As said:I find the strategy toward Laura of feeding her with all your conspiracies and driving an already paranoid person crazy even more nauseating. bah.gif

Not sure I understand what you mean. Are you agreeing with me that Laura may be so stressed-out? Or, are you suggesting I have some strategy to feed Laura conspiracy theories?

no I fully agree with you. The comment was a copy of my reply to Kh. Han (post #293)

People have to remember that the Headman and family are worth hundreds of millions of dollars/pounds not baht! That sort of power buys a lot of friends

Bloody hell that's serious money, where did you see that?

There are hotels properties on Koh Samui worth more than that .

This is a disgrace

I don't mind you quoting something that I have written, but please don't put something I haven't in quotation marks!!

This is an extremely difficult and sensitive case and has drawn widespread interest in Thailand and Worldwide. I do not doubt that the Facebook post by Laura was accurate. As I mentioned before- I honestly believe something was lost in translation regarding the statements. Unless one is very skilled in both the Thai language and the cultural meaning- poor translations can make an intended well meaning statement into a very cold and coarse statement. Without hearing the Thai and how it was translated it is impossible to judge the intent. Communication issues are one of the biggest problems in cross cultural situations in Thailand. Just ask any long term expat. As far as threats against life and liberty- widespread publicity brings out the worst type of person to make crass and crude comments for whatever reason. Many of these hanger-ons are mentally ill in the same manner an arsonist must view the fires they set.

The Anonymous clip summarizes the case quite well and points out areas that need investigation. I would hope the defense team has their own investigators working on these inconsistencies and can point them out during the appeal phase.Also, remember the prosecution will not sit by idly and will have a response whether we agree or not, I could point out other cases in Thailand that are similar but then I can also point out other cases in America that are also similar. No matter what country these type of cases occur it appears once the police are 'satisfied' with their investigation the wagons become circled and the police, prosecutors and others become more adamant they are right. This case will eventually go to the Supreme Court for the final conclusion. My heart goes ou to the families. They are in for a lengthy ordeal,

""I would hope the defense team has their own investigators working on these inconsistencies and can point them out during the appeal phase"""

As far as I know NO new evidence will be allowed in, they will only consider the judgement of the judge based on the evidence presented. It will not be reversed The loss of face for the PM, the RTP & Courts will be to grave. You are right it will end up in the Supreme Court (with the same result). The B2 will spend years waiting for a non guilty verdict they will never get. Welcome to Thailand! The land of smiles!