They Finally Got Me

Rancid

I heard from a CM native girl that Chinese rents bikes as that's the cheapest possible way to get around.

If I remember the numbers

100 or 200 baht daily rental rate.

60 Baht gas / day

That girl is surely mistaken? Remember that TAT announcement that Chinese tourists spend THB 5,500 a day while in Thailand (US$160 at the time of the announcement), more than European visitors? Maybe, they spend most of that money in restaurants or in shops...

Maybe they do, 555

But not on song theaw, tuk tuk or taxi.

And I can't blame them really.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also a complete head spin for them because if they have ever held a licence and driven they do it on the "wrong side" of the road in China.

For a car, the adjustment from left hand to right hand drive, on unfamiliar roads is a recipe for disaster

And yet I do it all the time when traveling to most places outside of Thailand.

All the more reason to drive super defensively, and use the best helmet you can afford. The tourists are a problem. Not just the Chinese. When I was on Samui, there were a lot of Europeans who had little experience riding, and had no idea what the rules were, what was safe and not safe, and just simply were way too casual, on what were the most dangerous roads on the planet, with the highest fatality rate per capita, than any other 500 sq. km. on earth! They did not have a clue. Sometimes I would pull over and say, do you have any idea who many tourists are sent home in body bags from this island, by driving exactly how you are driving? They were shocked. They had no idea stopping in a lane of traffic, on a very busy road, where people were driving very aggressively, was being careless, or was dangerous.

Best advice is to drive slower than you have to, keep your eyes glued to the road, maintain superior frontal, and rear road awareness, and always check in all directions, as often as possible. Never be casual on a bike in this country. Never.

I often remind myself, why did you move to this country? Well, one of the reasons is so that I would not have to race around like a madman. So, I tend to really take my time while driving. So I lose a few minutes. It really does not mean anything, and I am a lot safer as a result.

I agree its not just the Chinese, I see more young westerners riding rental bikes who make dangerous maneuvers or stop in the fast lane trying to make a turn. Many of the young folks who rent bikes have never driven one before, I use to walk past a bike rental everyday, I would see these young tourist riding off wiggling left and right as they have never driven a bike. But at least most westerners have some common sense and do try to watch out for traffic.

Yes, and then they go drinking. ;)

I heard from a CM native girl that Chinese rents bikes as that's the cheapest possible way to get around.

60 Baht gas / day

That girl is surely mistaken? Remember that TAT announcement that Chinese tourists spend THB 5,500 a day while in Thailand (US$160 at the time of the announcement), more than European visitors? Maybe, they spend most of that money in restaurants or in shops...

That's rental rates, read again. I don't think it's disputed that Chinese often go on a bit of a spending spree in the malls.

As for taxis they're more likely to use some commons sense in pricing and not pay crazy amounts for no reason. But when it makes sense (booking an airport taxi at 4am) I don't see any hesitation to cough up the 400 Baht or whatever that costs.

The police visited all the bike rental shops a few months ago and told them if there's no license dont rent.

yeah, sure.

Well, that's kind of the main thing right.. Tourists are lulled into a happy-Thai-lala-land feel of that it'll be all just cool, but when you think about it then it's really quite insane to rent a motorbike to any dick showing up with a couple hundred baht in cash, no checks for anything.

What country does that? Why do these shops even exist. (Never mind. ;) ) Mai pen rai guys. ;)

Well done,With somebody of less experience it could have been worse.The big trouble here in LOS is NON experience tourist from Europe renting very powerful bikes,no helmets and pretending their Rossie or Hamilton,doing their best trying to kill themselves or others.

I too happened across a couple (Well actually 3 couples) of Chinese on scooters 2 days ago as I was turning from the moat into Chang Moi Rd. They were in the middle of the intersection deciding as to whether to go straight or turn.

I reminded them that its not wise to discuss matters in the middle of a congested intersection (Or words to that effect) Probably along the lines of going away in short jerky movements.

They had no idea and no responce....brain dead in reality.

Were you speaking Chinese to them,or plain ol English that you expect them to understand.You should have shouted,that is the time honoured way to make foreigners understand.

<deleted> is a universal term. Everyone knows that term.

There have been surprisingly few major road mishaps involving Chinese.

Perhaps this needs to read 'there have been surprisingly few major road mishaps in which the Chinese were injured.' I've witnessed quite a few where they were completely oblivious to the disaster that they caused, leaving crumpled bikes, dented fenders, and broken bodies behind as they continue merrily down the street staring into their smartphones as they ride. gesturing to other members of their group.

How much is a Thai sized settlement?

Lucky for you you did not suffer lifelong injury.

The missus hit them up for 40K, so it was considerable, there again still can't use my arm properly and will probably be out of action for another week or two. Also need fix bike and smashed watch.

Actually they were not happy being at the police station, just wanted to get out asap, probably why they didn't even negotiate. Police even did a re-enactment like on TV.

I didn't realise they rode on the right in China. Now the guys comment makes sense about not looking when turning right, that's why he just shot straight in front of me out of a gas station, he didn't even look in my direction.

They have no clue , it amazes me to see them on motorbikes . But also I see alot of younger backpackers riding scooters like they have 9 lives . If I see the rental markings on the back of the helmets I steer clear of them ....

If you see the rental markings on the back of there helmets it's usually too late.....

60 Baht gas / day

Eh eh eh,...and sins when is the TAT a believable source ?...

They have no clue , it amazes me to see them on motorbikes . But also I see alot of younger backpackers riding scooters like they have 9 lives . If I see the rental markings on the back of the helmets I steer clear of them ....

A couple of weeks ago My wife and I were sipping our Coffee on a terrace at Chang Moi str. when we saw a Chinese kid, not more than 3-4 years old walking alone on the opposite side, in the direction of the intersection, far behind him was he's mother...we were thinking why does she lets the kid walk alone so far ahead? when you guest it ? the kid started to run forward...the mother realising to late what would happen started to run after the kid but they ware to far apart. So the kid got into the middle of the intersection, were a red taxi just stopped in the middle of traffic and so blocking all traffic for a moment. and saved the kid, way before the mother was there.....I looked further in the street and the father was walking slowly looking into some shops unaware of the events....We saw them all cross the intersection in direction of the old city, just like nothing happened....the kid was not spanked or anything...!?!?

two weeks later we still have cold chills in our backs thinking about it....

Best regards.

Edited by off road pat

I used to live and work in China. The standards of driving and riding were abysmal. I suggested to my ex the she should switch her lights on her moped while riding in the dark. She insisted there was no need to use the lights as she could see the other traffic perfectly (which, by the way, was also a lie as she was very short-sighted but was too vain to be seen outside wearing glasses).

Once, on my ride home from work, as I was crossing a wide river bridge, I noticed a lady on the other side of the road coming towards me and drifting into the road. She was looking out towards the river and admiring the view while she blindly crossed three lanes and cruised onto the wrong side of the road. I shouted and sounded my horn vainly in order to try to get her attention, but I guess the river must have been pretty spectacular on that night.

By this point I could see from her trajectory that she was heading right into my path. I had nowhere to move right or left short of falling off the bridge and so I slowed right down, eventually coming to a halt. Then - you guessed it - motionless, shouting and with horn blaring, I watched as this twerp crashed her bike head onto into me. You should have seen the look of shock, and then disgust on her face. Why had I got in her way? Why had I stopped my bike in the exact place she wanted to go (regardless of her being on the wrong side of the road).

My favorite with the Chinese Tourist is the Elevator.

You checked out of your room on the top floor and take the elevator down to the lobby with your bags. Nobody else joins you on the way down. You get to the lobby and the elevator door opens. You try to get out but find 6 Chinese Guys are pushing you back in as they try to get in to go up.

Man! No clue or manners about elevators at all!

I wonder what it would be like lining up with them for a Rock Concert when only limited tickets are for sale.

Last week on the road... video camera mounted on my helmet. Still thanking God for the small piece of shoulder without anyone blocking it!

Oh F.......that was a close one....!!! Good luck to you in your future travels...

Best regards.

Last week on the road... video camera mounted on my helmet. Still thanking God for the small piece of shoulder without anyone blocking it!

Oh F.......that was a close one....!!! Good luck to you in your future travels...

Best regards.

This same thing happened to us 3-4 times within a matter of just 3 hours along this same stretch of road. It's harvest time for sugar cane in Isaan, and these cane trucks come along every few minutes. And every time there is a cane truck, there are idiots who will try to pass no matter who is coming the other way... unless it's another cane truck! In this video the passing drivers started off well away from us. In a few cases, they pulled out right in front of us while flashing their lights! I learned to slow down as soon as I'd see a cane truck in the distance, knowing that some brain-dead car driver would be passing...

Yes....it helps to be an experienced rider when on these roads. Lesser riders would probably have filled their underpants, panicked and come to an even bigger grief. (I would have probably done both!)

Reminds me of the rules when driving in Malaysia, always give way to anything thats bigger.

Now would be an ideal time for the highway patrol to step up their appearances and get these dickheads off the roads in Isaan.

You checked out of your room on the top floor and take the elevator down to the lobby with your bags. Nobody else joins you on the way down. You get to the lobby and the elevator door opens. You try to get out but find 6 Chinese Guys are pushing you back in as they try to get in to go up.

I wonder what it would be like lining up with them for a Rock Concert when only limited tickets are for sale.

I've never been in a lift with a Chinese national to my knowledge - do they jab away at the door open/door close button the way the Malaysian Chinese do? I always find that comical

I've been at the front of a window in a train station in China with them, it was terrible, just like a rugby scrum until I manned up, cleared my throat and stuck my elbows out hard as far as they would go and uttered menacing 'Oi''s to anyone who tried to get beyond my elbows into the space I had taken ownership of. I growled at one persistent one and she backed off looking a bit scared. I don't care if people think I'm a crazy old woman. I never let anyone push in. Lesser people would never have been served, I'm quite sure of that. The memory that stayed with me more than anything else from that experience was the absolutely disgusting treatment an Afro-American who appeared to speak the language fluently. He was treat with a contempt I've never seen before or since, the one and only time I've ever experienced pure racial hatred - people were looking him up and down and pulling their noses as if he smelled - he was very well dressed and didn't smell at all. He shrugged his shoulders at me, as if he were used to it - but he did give almost as good as he got.

How much is a Thai sized settlement?

Lucky for you you did not suffer lifelong injury.

The missus hit them up for 40K, so it was considerable, there again still can't use my arm properly and will probably be out of action for another week or two. Also need fix bike and smashed watch.

Actually they were not happy being at the police station, just wanted to get out asap, probably why they didn't even negotiate. Police even did a re-enactment like on TV.

I didn't realise they rode on the right in China. Now the guys comment makes sense about not looking when turning right, that's why he just shot straight in front of me out of a gas station, he didn't even look in my direction.

No it doesn't, when visiting another country you learn about it especially the rules of the road.

They are just plain ignorant and should be able to adjust like all other nationalities.

sorry to hear about your crash, it is common knowledge these days about the driving skills of the Chinese and perhaps the Koreans as well. From what I have seen.

1. They will stop in the middle of the road even though traffic is behind them to look at a map

2. If they are in groups if one moves towards the side the rest will follow crossing lanes and not looking over their shoulder

3. The no look drive out onto the street though many people are guilty for that

4. I believe some have never driven at all, super slow, highly unstable driving, have fear in their eyes

5. Seen a couple of times where they are looking around at the sights and hit the person

Thailand is like a video game, you got to expect pedestrians, motorbikes, cars, trucks, dogs, and practically anything that moves to pop out in front of you which I am sure you are aware, some days it almost seems that everyone is trying to kill you. I dont trust anyone when I am driving and really try to focus on every aspect of people in front, the side and even behind...

At least the Chinese seem to at least wear their helmets from what I have seen, love the falangs driving with the wind flowing through their hair, hope it is worth it when they get in an accident...

I am so tired of tourists walking this way. It's like I have to be responsible for their walking as well as mine. Have been hit by bodies and errant arms.

I've never been in a lift with a Chinese national to my knowledge - do they jab away at the door open/door close button the way the Malaysian Chinese do? I always find that comical

I've been at the front of a window in a train station in China with them, it was terrible, just like a rugby scrum until I manned up, cleared my throat and stuck my elbows out hard as far as they would go and uttered menacing 'Oi''s to anyone who tried to get beyond my elbows into the space I had taken ownership of. I growled at one persistent one and she backed off looking a bit scared. I don't care if people think I'm a crazy old woman. I never let anyone push in. Lesser people would never have been served, I'm quite sure of that. The memory that stayed with me more than anything else from that experience was the absolutely disgusting treatment an Afro-American who appeared to speak the language fluently. He was treat with a contempt I've never seen before or since, the one and only time I've ever experienced pure racial hatred - people were looking him up and down and pulling their noses as if he smelled - he was very well dressed and didn't smell at all. He shrugged his shoulders at me, as if he were used to it - but he did give almost as good as he got.

Afro-American or Afro-Chinese?

Afro-American or Afro-Chinese?

He was American - at one stage he gave a great insult in English as well as in Chinese - about 30 years old, 6 foot 5 with a bald head. Could have been a basketball player, but he had a briefcase so I assume he was working. And as I say, he gave as good as he got. Very pleasant and polite saying hello to us, turned into an aggressive, nasty combatant when he was spoken to in a horrible way by both staff and other passengers then all polite and a genuine smile again as he was leaving and told us to enjoy Shanghai before snapping at someone behind us and terrifying them without missing a beat. He did it very well actually (and I'm a master of being able to do this, it is something of a skill). Mr K was at a total loss, he's very nice, the most placid person most people would ever meet, and he doesn't have it in him to be nasty or rude even when annoyed so he really wouldn't have gotten anywhere near that window.

When I say I growled at a persistent queue jumper/pusher, I mean I turned the death stare onto him and growled like an animal pulling a face I'm glad will never be photographed before he backed off. It's very rare that I've had to actually go that far to frighten someone away from me. Scaring them seemed to be the only way to conduct our business - it worked for both of us, and for once my darling husband didn't complain that I shouldn't do things like that because it looks bad. He was just glad to get out of there with the tickets, and probably secretly glad that his wife can turn into a snarling, psychopathic-appearing crazy woman in an instant when she wants. It never fails, I've been turning it on and off since I was 5 or 6 years old, and can drop the act as quickly as I adopt it. It's a gift - the skill is in making it convincing.

I had a few terse words with a dreadlocked dipshite on a scooter today. He managed to hold up the traffic around the moat because he wanted to go straight across the intersectons (Like most Thais do).

I queried if he could read English and pointed at the sign that stated and showed that you are not allowed to go directly across. Then he and his hairy armpitted girlfriend opened up saying well everyone else does it. So thats okay then....dont worry about all the other road users that have to haul their brakes on because some ahole thinks they can ignore the rules when it suits them.

So its not just the Chinese....

OK rant over, otherwise traffic was reasonably good today.