Can I get a visa on arrival instead of using my second entry?

Hi guys!

Quick question.

I have a double-entry Thai visa (60 days for each entry). When my first entry ran out last week, I took the slow boat to Luang Prabang (that's where I am now). Now I want to go down to Cambodia for a couple of weeks before re-entering Thailand for my second entry (I plan to stay on Samui for 2-3 months and then fly back to the USA).

I'm worried that if I travel overland from Laos to Cambodia THROUGH THAILAND, that the 2-day journey through Thailand will either:

• USE UP my second entry completely (and thus require me to get a 30-day visa on arrival when I get back to Thailand from Cambodia, and then do a bunch of visa runs over the next 3 months), OR
  • INITIATE my second entry, so that when I get back to Thailand after Cambodia I will have around 45 days left on my second entry (which I could then extend for another 30 days in Samui)

I'm not an expert on Visas so I'm not sure if those two possibilities even make sense.

My question is as follows: is it possible for me to pass through Thailand for a couple of days (going from Laos to Cambodia) without using my second entry at all? Like... can I get a visa on arrival for the two-day journey, instead of using the second entry on the visa that's already pasted in my passport... so that I can save my second entry for when I return from Cambodia?

If anyone knows how this kind of thing works, I could really use some advice so I can figure out how to proceed.

Thanks in advance :-)

Have a great day.

If travelling to Cambodia via Thailand you will have to use your valid visa.

You could get a re entry permit when you leave Thailand for Cambodia keeping your then current permission to stay active from your 60 days.

Any time out of Thailand will be lost,your second entry can be extended at any immigration office for 1900 baht,additional 30 days.

You should look at the enter before date on your tourist visa that is the last day you will be able to do the 2nd entry.

You would not get a visa on arrival it would be a visa exempt entry.

It is unlikely that the immigration officer would allow you to get visa exempt entry instead of using your tourist visa.

You could get a re-entry permit at an immigration office for the 60 day entry to keep it valid after your trip to Cambodia. .The fee is 1000 baht.

You would get a 30 day visa exempt entry at a border crossing that can be extended for 30 days at an immigration if you did not get the re-entry permit.

• Like 1

Several years ago at Bangkok airport (and it may not be the same on a land border) I requested a 30 day on arrival visa, and asked to save the still current 60 day visa that was in my passport; to be used for a later visit. The official agreed, but put a note written in my passport to say that this was indeed what i wanted (in thai) and then she got me to sign against it to confirm my agreement.

Probably comes down to whether your immigration official is having a nice day.

Thanks for the quick replies :-)

My "enter before" date is in April so I'll be fine in that regard.

From your answers, it seems like maybe my best bet is to either to travel all the way down through southern Laos, or just fly to Cambodia, so that I don't have to deal with all the visa issues.

hay2u2's answer gives me some hope that crossing through Thailand could work, but I'm not sure I want to head all the way down to the border (2 days bus ride) and then find out that my immigration official isn't "having a nice day." Has anybody here had a similar experience with getting an immigration official to let you save your 60-day visa for a later visit? Has anybody had this request denied?

Thanks again for your help! This forum is awesome.

You cannot request a 30-day visa on arrival. They don't exist. People from some countries must apply for a 15-day visa on arrival but citizens from most countries, including the G-7 qualify for 30-day visa waiver admission. Whether or not an immigration official would grant you a 30-day visa exempt entry and not activate your second TV arrival cannot be predicted with any degree of certainty. I suggest that you go from Laos to Cambodia without entering Thailand, then when you next enter Thailnd, you can come in on your second tourist visa and extend it for 30 days if you want to stay longer than 60. Why not keep it simple and avoid taking chances? Good luck.

From your answers, it seems like maybe my best bet is to either to travel all the way down through southern Laos, or just fly to Cambodia, so that I don't have to deal with all the visa issues.

hay2u2's answer gives me some hope that crossing through Thailand could work, but I'm not sure I want to head all the way down to the border (2 days bus ride) and then find out that my immigration official isn't "having a nice day." Has anybody here had a similar experience with getting an immigration official to let you save your 60-day visa for a later visit? Has anybody had this request denied?

I have no first hand experience. However, I have heard of both people being allowed to use a visa exempt entry (retaining their visa for later use) and having the official refuse to do this. The latter seems more common. I think the official tends to be worried about being accused of a mistake. I suggest specifically writing "none" in the space for the visa number rather than leaving it blank. If the IO does not want to do it, you could try asking if you can speak to the supervisor to see if you can achieve it that way. Either way, I would not rely on it.

Too late now, but, if there was time remaining on your last entry, you could have saved the second entry by getting a reentry permit on your first entry.

• Like 1

Well I did the same once years ago at the Malaysian/Thai border.I asked the immigration officer politely whether it would be possible to get a 30 day exempt entry first instead of using my visa as I was just passing through to Cambodia, and he said no problem.

The funny thing though was that when later on I arrived at the Poipet border to finally use my visa, the officer there looked confused, she kept going through my passport several times , and eventually asked me whether I could speak Thai.After explaining to her why immigration at Malaysian border had not used my visa, she nodded and stamped me in.

I assume that this is very much up to the individual official.

OK awesome thanks guys!

I'm so glad to be able to get firsthand accounts like this in such a short period of time.

Now that I know that it's possible (but also dependent on the whims of the visa officials) I have enough information to make a decision.

Enjoy your travels :-)

Namaste.

Several years ago at Bangkok airport (and it may not be the same on a land border) I requested a 30 day on arrival visa, and asked to save the still current 60 day visa that was in my passport; to be used for a later visit. The official agreed, but put a note written in my passport to say that this was indeed what i wanted (in thai) and then she got me to sign against it to confirm my agreement.

Probably comes down to whether your immigration official is having a nice day.

I have had a similar experience, I was just staying one day. But on the way out the immigration officer almost canceled the visa still in my passport.

YMMY

If your destination from Laos is Cambodia I cannot understand why you want to travel overland through Thailand to get there? You might have youre reasons of course. But flying from Vientiane to Phnom Prnh seems much easier or even travel through southern Laos by bus or by flying Vientiane - Pakse and then catch a bus through the border seems much more conveniant - to me at least.

Another option is to get a new tourist visa in Phnom Penh if you use your second entry to travel overland through northeastern Thailand.

Southern Laos, particularly the 4,000 islands area (in the Meekong and near the Cambodia/Laos border), is brilliant. I too recommend not transiting through Thailand for travel experience reasons.

• Like 1

Southern Laos, particularly the 4,000 islands area (in the Meekong and near the Cambodia/Laos border), is brilliant. I too recommend not transiting through Thailand for travel experience reasons.

Agree - 4000 islands (Si Pan Don) The spectacular 7,5 kms long Konglor cave a bit off Tha Kek with an exit in both ends and a stream running through it (travel by boat possible) The Bolevyn Plateu, towns like Tha Kek, Savannaketh, Pakse etc - not Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur exactly but not without charm - southern part of Laos has indeed many nice and interesting spots for those who seeks.

• Like 1

Agree - 4000 islands (Si Pan Don) The spectacular 7,5 kms long Konglor cave a bit off Tha Kek with an exit in both ends and a stream running through it (travel by boat possible) The Bolevyn Plateu, towns like Tha Kek, Savannaketh, Pakse etc - not Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur exactly but not without charm - southern part of Laos has indeed many nice and interesting spots for those who seeks.

Agreed (Savvanakhet I would place at the bottom of that list though). Done em' all, but for someone intent on passing thru', rather than giving the southern provinces a warranted 2 week plus visit I would deffo go for Si Pan Don with a stop off at Champasak if time allows. Pakse is a good overnight stop. Tha Kek/Konglor is fantastic but takes a few days and backpacker-style nouse to undertake if using public transport.

• 2 weeks later...