Bangkok court bans British activist Andy Hall from traveling outside Thailand

webfact

As far as I understand, that is a private civil lawsuit.

Natural Fruit Company Ltd. against Andy Hall.

It's not like that this is a criminal lawsuit, where a prosecutor bringing charges,

as the state Thailand against Andy Hall.

In the first judicial proceedings Andy Hall has indeed acquitted on all counts.

So what are the new reasons which first cause a renewed legal proceedings is permitted,

and secondly to be made here such draconian measures, such as the collection of the passport?

And that in a civil lawsuit???

That would mean that any foreign businessman here is highly vulnerable.

In dispute with a Thai business partner, he can do an indictment and has the legal possibility to have them collected the passport?

If that is internationally known, no foreign company will invest here anymore

Probably because the the company filed an appeal of :

I agree I can't see why any foreign company would invest here, unskilled labor, low or non- existent English skills, corruption everywhere and let's not forget the floods

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This action and other actions this government has taken since the coup will guarantee Thailand stays at the bottom on the next human rights report.

....bottom of the list is not enough....

...other countries face sanctions....

...unfair trade practices affect all the other countries and their economies....

...bottom of list....and astronomical profits....they are laughing all the way to the bank.....

All credit to Andy Hall for making a stand, i hope he is successful and no harm comes to him.

Will the Thais stop using slaves probably not, will the western corporations stop buying slave produced goods maybe with a lot of pressure put on them a lot of bad publicity, I believe the corporate juggernauts will access cheap produce from another developing nation with another exploited workforce and the whole process will start over again.

I would like to think informed consumers will tip the scales in favour of fair conditions for workers everywhere, unfortunately there are simply not enough informed consumers also the country of origin is not always clearly labelled on some products causing difficulty when making a choice.

Our hats are off to you Andy. There should be more like you in the world something that is definitely lacking. May God keep you safe to fight on. Your selfless efforts are appreciated. They will come for you Andy of that I am certain. Its to bad the wolf is now out of the woods and in full attack mode. They have money and manpower and corruption on their side. You on the other hand have a embassy in full reverse gear.

As far as I understand, that is a private civil lawsuit.

Natural Fruit Company Ltd. against Andy Hall.

It's not like that this is a criminal lawsuit, where a prosecutor bringing charges,

as the state Thailand against Andy Hall.

So what are the new reasons which first cause a renewed legal proceedings is permitted,

and secondly to be made here such draconian measures, such as the collection of the passport?

And that in a civil lawsuit???

That would mean that any foreign businessman here is highly vulnerable.

In dispute with a Thai business partner, he can do an indictment and has the legal possibility to have them collected the passport?

If that is internationally known, no foreign company will invest here anymore

Foreign investment down by 78%.

Maybe that message has got through?

'On 18 September 2015, an appeals court in Thailand delivered a blow to the NFC's ongoing litigation against British activist Andy Hall. The court threw out a defamation case Natural Fruit brought against Hall, saying that police never should have investigated the charges.' Did I miss something, or did the judges?

I'm in the same position as him, on bail without my passport. It's standard for any foreigner on remand.

For the people questioning the legality of holding someone's passport, here is how it works:

Yes, he can go to the British Embassy and they will help. They can either request the return of his passport, or issue a replacement passport.

But in both cases he will be breaking the conditions of bail, and a new arrest warrant will be issued. So he'll get his passport but be stuck back in jail.

The passport is pointless anyway as anyone in the court system is placed on the immigration police's watch list. Come to close to the border or an airport and you'll get detained for trying to flee.

I guess the prosecutor is appealing the verdict of the appeals court, and that's why he is still held on bail even now. He has had two court victories but if it wasnt for paying bail, he would still be in jail right now.

Edited by razorramone

Thinking out loud via keyboard ....couldn't he leave via the UK embassy under diplomatic cover/PP (re)issue - if they assisted? Once in there he's in UK territory.....

He is a brave man,he isn't about to run. I can't see him being convicted at the moment, there would be a hue and cry which they don't want considering their reputation for slave labour, it's possible that the US and EU could get really nasty with Thailand.

He may be a brave individual and I hope that that's what it is in one way, but with all the other stuff that's going on here, it occurs to me that there may be more to this. Are these fruit people in cahoots with him in destabilizing the country? It's certainly possible. If that's the case, you'll likely not hear anything from the British Consulate as they'll be in on it as well.

I should just have this comment in my full-time cut and paste since it seems to be needed daily:

Shame on Thailand! Karma's gonna eventually get you (let's hope!) one way or the other!

If you believe in Karma.

In the meantime the victims continue to suffer. Personally it is not my idea of justice but certainly the ideal way out for those who are too lazy or incapable of dealing with issues of "crime".

I'm in the same position as him, on bail without my passport. It's standard for any foreigner on remand.

For the people questioning the legality of holding someone's passport, here is how it works:

Yes, he can go to the British Embassy and they will help. They can either request the return of his passport, or issue a replacement passport.

But in both cases he will be breaking the conditions of bail, and a new arrest warrant will be issued. So he'll get his passport but be stuck back in jail.

The passport is pointless anyway as anyone in the court system is placed on the immigration police's watch list. Come to close to the border or an airport and you'll get detained for trying to flee.

I guess the prosecutor is appealing the verdict of the appeals court, and that's why he is still held on bail even now. He has had two court victories but if it wasnt for paying bail, he would still be in jail right now.

Yes this is how it works and it makes no difference how crazy and vexatious the charges may be. You have my utmost sympathy and best wishes it's simply outrageous.

Edited by LannaGuy

Andy Hall with Naung Naung and 21 others.

UK GOVERNMENT REQUESTS MY PASSPORT BE RETURNED TO BRITISH EMBASSY BY BANGKOK SOUTH CRIMINAL COURT

UK Government's response from London this evening on my Natural Fruit indictment, release on bail, passport confiscation and travel ban. Thanks to Mark Kent and the U.K. Embassy for supporting human rights defenders across the world.

'Dear Mr Hall,

Thank you for your emails alerting us to the withholding of your passport and accompanying immigration restrictions imposed on you by the Bangkok South Criminal Court as part of their bail conditions following your hearing on 13 January.

As you have noted, the Consular section at the British Embassy in Bangkok is in direct touch with you about your passport. They have already sent the request to the Court on this matter and, as you have acknowledged, explained the process and possible outcomes to you.

We understand that it is not uncommon for Thai courts to withhold foreigners’ passports when granting bail, as well as imposing a range of other conditions including immigration restrictions. However we recognise the distress these conditions can cause and we are providing assistance to recover your passport. In terms of your immigration restrictions, we have no jurisdiction to interfere in other countries’ judicial processes (as is the case with Embassies here in the UK). This is a matter for your legal team and we note they have already submitted a request to the Court.

The UK government is of course concerned about the harassment of any individual. As we’ve made clear before, the UK fully supports the right of human rights defenders to carry out their work and voice their opinions in order to promote human rights peacefully. We have spoken to the Thai authorities about your case on several occasions and reminded them of their obligations to ensure international human rights standards are upheld. Officials from the Embassy in Bangkok will continue to observe your trial hearings, including on 18 January.

If you continue to feel harassed or threatened, we advise you to contact the Thai police. My colleagues in the Consular section of the Embassy stand ready to provide further consular assistance should you need it. We will continue to follow your case closely.

CYxB90pVAAE2JH2.jpg

clap2.gif

Edited by englishoak

Do the Thai courts have the right to confiscate his passport considering in reality it belongs to Britain.

When does not having the right stop anything happening in Thailand? I am certain the British government will turn a blind eye to it, otherwise it could affect business relationships.

I don`t think Andy Hall has much chance of walking away from this. Only hope he doesn`t conveniently commit suicide or becomes the victim of an unfortunate accident.

I assume you work in Thailand and or are an expat?

So, what would happen if say a tourist with limited funds finds themselves in a similar scenario?

If they run out of money, do they go homeless? Are they allowed to work?

With no passport would they have to find illegal work?

• 1 month later...

Thanks, I needed a morning laugh

Wow....

Why is the Thai government interfering with private corporations?

Because Andy Hall is right.

Just watch......He will be dead soon. The police, the MPs, and Natural Fruit are now trying to plan how he can die accidently....

Hanging.....No

Drugs......No

Some Burma guy?.....Maybe.

Best bet......Heart Attack......aka Poison

I think you maybe R thinking of the respectable Thai custom, the disappearing trick.

Thanks, I needed a morning laugh

Wow....

Why is the Thai government interfering with private corporations?

Because Andy Hall is right.

Just watch......He will be dead soon. The police, the MPs, and Natural Fruit are now trying to plan how he can die accidently....

Hanging.....No

Drugs......No

Some Burma guy?.....Maybe.

Best bet......Heart Attack......aka Poison

I think you maybe R thinking of the respectable Thai custom, the disappearing trick.
Well, I think we can all agree that it's not beyond the realm of possibility. Thailand is a very nasty place for people, and especially foreigners, disturbing someone's 'rice bowl'. I'm quite sure Andy would be of similar mindset and is taking every reasonable precaution in this regard. He would no doubt be a marked man.