Import To Thai / Export From Thai / Weekend Market

Hi Redbyte,

Shipping large items from Thailand is a different ball game than posting a small item. I import furniture from Thailand and some of the things you have to consider are :

Lead times, factory production usually 6 weeks, shipping 4 to 5 weeks depending on destination in europe.. THATS 3 MONTHS from your order to the factory to your goods arriving.

Special licences are required in Thailand for the movement of "Teak" be carefull or you will have to pay more.

When a container arrives at port in europe you have only a short time to unload it or you will have extra charges. You will also need storage for the goods.

All containers with furniture have to be fumigated by pest control before they leave Thailand.

You will need capitial to finance the long lead time cycle.

I use Evergreen shipping, it costs about €2000 for 20ft container and €4000 for 40 ft.

There are regular trade shows in "Bitec" for all sorts of goods from Thailand. look up th Bitec web site for list of shows.

I hope this is some help.

Have a Happy.....

Redbyte,

You are a graphic designer, now a lot of compaies are looking to reduce their printing costs. printing of catalogues etc is much cheaper in asia and they are flexible about the size of print run. also thai companies exporting may want someone to "convert" their thai catalogue to proper english for them.

Have a Happy...

DeDanan

Cheers DeDanan,

Very informative. I have also thought about the print thing, used to live in Bangkok and worked in the business there, but to be honest I want a complete career change.

You based in Bangkok?

Redbyte

......As far as PayPal, open an account in a country where it works tied to a bank account there. Use

yoru ATM card in LOS to access it. Pretty simple.........

Paypal logs which ISP you log in on, so you need to log in from a paypal "legal" country

there are all kinds of ways to make money illegally selling bootleg stuff,

but when the shit hits the fan are you ready for the problems?

sorry not me....

You can log in from Thailand. I do it all the time also.

Hi.

I am a guy from norway, just got back from thailand trying out the oppurtunitys of selling through internet auctions from thailand.

I might say it went pretty good.

I had a monthly income from my work around 50-75000 baht.

Its hard work, and i didnt take weekends off, but i guess with normal working days, you're income will be around 50.

To the issue about paypal.....you can operate through you're bank account in u.k. ... sell from u.k. and say that you're shipping time will be around 10 days.

There are quite cheep to send parcels from thailand.

My packages was from 200- 800 baht.. depends on the weight...and there will be no custom as long as you retail sell.... but not start to wholesale...it will be expencive to you're costumer.

I hope yhis will help you, and encourage you to give it a try :o

This is unbelievable to me. Not that I don't believe you, but it is quite impressive.

From the info you gave, it seems you are selling quite inexpensive items, is that correct? I don't suppose you want to share with the world what products from Thailand sell well on ebay?

Personally, i have never had good luck with ebay. Recently I had some extra stock in the US- 6 brand new rattan handbags. These exact same bags sell for $200 in boutiques in the US. i started them all at $25 and there wasn't a single bid. And that pretty much sums of my ebay experience.

Any advice?

......As far as PayPal, open an account in a country where it works tied to a bank account there. Use

Paypal logs which ISP you log in on, so you need to log in from a paypal "legal" country

sorry not me....

When I log in to PayPal from Thailand I always get locked out...

PayPal doesn't allow accounts for people in Thailand neither does Netteller. They check your IP.. I have to connect to a Terminal Server in Sweden and then access the Paypal account..

Bob chittie:

I never said i was selling on ebay.

You have to concentrate on high-cost countries.

Northern-western europe.......splendid market.

Concerning language....you need someone to help you to set up an account, and show you how to work the site, without exactly know the language.

I never sold on ebay...its too big, and allso get a bad reputation, cuz all the bootleg stuff.

Concentrate on smaller, national auction sites, and you will see it works out.

Good luck. :o

I Import furniture, guians, cartwheels and woodcarvings to the u.k, in 40 footers, it is cheaper to get a 40 footer than shipping two twenty footers, all you pay in the uk is customs duty at the docks and vat, but if you have a good shipping agent they will handle all this for you in the uk,

I use A & P shipping from Thailand and they are first class, you make more money this way than selling on e-bay, but you have to have the outlets, I am lucky as my items go straight in my shop to sell retail. check my site. also good pics of the land of smiles.

Bob chittie:

I never said i was selling on ebay.

You have to concentrate on high-cost countries.

Northern-western europe.......splendid market.

Concerning language....you need someone to help you to set up an account, and show you how to work the site, without exactly know the language.

I never sold on ebay...its too big, and allso get a bad reputation, cuz all the bootleg stuff.

Concentrate on smaller, national auction sites, and you will see it works out.

Good luck. :o

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. Small, national auction sites such as?

sorry not me....

When I log in to PayPal from Thailand I always get locked out...

PayPal doesn't allow accounts for people in Thailand neither does Netteller. They check your IP.. I have to connect to a Terminal Server in Sweden and then access the Paypal account..

I think you have to fax PayPal some info and then they let you access the site. I use it all the time from LOS. No problem. NetTeller locked my account and told me that I have to be called at a US phone number by them for them to re-open the account and that I can not use it from THailand. if I walk across the border to Malaysia, then its suddenly fine...