Ship Goods Back Home Or Load As Baggage?

micah323

I plan to visit Chiang Mai in January for 6 weeks and then Bangkok for 2 weeks before heading back to the states. I plan on purchasing my Muay Thai equipment while I am there plus other stuff I find for presents for family back home.

I think I can fit it all in a large duffel bag weighing less than 35-40lbs.

Should I ship it home and pay the high FedEx rates or will I be okay trying to check it as baggage?

I will be flying United Airlines

Will customs give me any problems?

The equipment will be boxing gloves, head gear, thai pads, shin guards, etc.

I plan to visit Chiang Mai in January for 6 weeks and then Bangkok for 2 weeks before heading back to the states. I plan on purchasing my Muay Thai equipment while I am there plus other stuff I find for presents for family back home.

Should I ship it home and pay the high FedEx rates or will I be okay trying to check it as baggage?

At the fedEx rates for those weights you are much better off paying the $150. bucks for an extra suitcase at checkin time .

Mentioned items are not an issue at customs.

At the fedEx rates for those weights you are much better off paying the $150. bucks for an extra suitcase at checkin time .

Mentioned items are not an issue at customs.

No need to pay extra for that piddling amount, so save the $150 and buy more stuff! For trans-pacific flights from Asia to the US you generally get a baggage allowance of two 32 kg. (70 lbs) bags. Here are the baggage allowance details from the United site for flights to/from Japan, which is what you will be doing if you are using them to go back to the USA:

Travel to/from Brazil, Japan, and The Philippines:

Any Ticket Purchase Date:

Economy Class 2 bags, maximum 70 pounds/32kg each First or Business Class 2 bags, maximum 70 pounds/32kg each

1K Premier Executive,

Premier Executive and

Star Alliance Gold Members 3 bags, maximum 70 pounds/32kg each

Military customers on tour 2 duffel bags, sea bags or B-4 bags up to 70 pounds/32kg and 115 linear inches/292 cm

Maximum linear dimensions of all bags: 62 inches/158cm (length + width + height) each

You can also put stuff in a carry on, and usually get away with another small bag like a computer or shopping bag. I have never had much problem bringing commercial items back to the US. On my last trip I had a bunch of stuff for sale and when asked I told them it was for sale on e-Bay. They said no problem. I asked an agent what amount you were allowed to bring in duty free and he told me $800. That was about 3 weeks ago at LAX.

Edited by qualtrough