Thai Tourism Min to continue with Discover Thainess campaign this year

webfact

Tourism Min to continue with Discover Thainess campaign this year

BANGKOK, 14 January 2016 (NNT) – The Ministry of Tourism and Sports is aiming to generate 2.3 trillion baht in revenue this year while pressing ahead with the strategy to sell Thainess.

Speaking of the tourism promotion campaign of 2016, Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said it will focus on sustainability, quality, adding value and distributing income. Due to positive feedback from last year, the minister affirmed the Discover Thainess campaign will go on this year.

In the meantime, tourism development will be pushed forward particularly in provinces along the borders with Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia. The move is expected to bring more income to local tourism SMEs while supporting Thailand in its goal to become the travel hub of the region. Emphasis will be placed on attracting first-time visitors from major markets, including China, Europe and ASEAN.

Ms Kobkarn stated that the ministry is targeting to make 2.3 trillion baht from tourism this year, up 5 percent from last year. However, she expressed concerns over potential impacts from terrorism, natural disasters and the economic slowdown in China.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-01-14 footer_n.gif

I bet if enough of the people, or the families of those people, who have been wronged, maimed, robbed, cheated, assaulted or murdered by a Thai person, got together and made a website with an RSS feed, they could counter the efforts of TAT and MIT (twit and tw@t) coffee1.gif

Edited by onetime

"However, she expressed concerns over potential impacts from terrorism, natural disasters and the economic slowdown in China."

What about domestic concerns such as - Koh Tao, Rape, Bag Snatching, Reckless Driving, Corrupt Police, Corrupt Politicians etc. etc.

I guess that is all a part of the holiday experience.

If they can really promote and do it great but like always none of their facts and actual records are accurate. Thai media covered many reports staying how bad 2015 was for tourism business in Thailand and if I'm not mistaken even last year the ministry and TAT had press conference saying how 2015 will be a year to mark for trillions of dollars from tourist revenues. Will be really happy if the minister focuses little more on the safety issues and protection of tourist's and their rights in LoS. More positive welcoming , helping attitude from the government might increase their dream goal I suppose.

I have heard Thai friends speaking about wanting to visit the Lumphini park for this weeks festival. They will get a feel good factor from this and want to visit more place in Thailand. That'll help.

Murder, rape, Bag Snatching, Reckless Driving, Corrupt Police, Corrupt Politicians etc. Man, you could say the same about many sunny destinations like Spain, Brazil, Bahamas, Cambodia to name a few that I have visited with these issues.

Just a question: Can they speak english in those provinces along the borders?

Here in the subs of Bangkok almost nobody who runs a shop can. Even the huge property developers/policemen can't but they all use english terms in their advertisings.

Here in the subs of Bangkok almost nobody who runs a shop can. Even the huge property developers/policemen can't but they all use english terms in their advertisings.

Yeah, I love those posters or magazine stories that have an English heading but then the whole text is in Thai.

Fair enough if the target audience is Thai then it should be in Thai, but why the english headings. It makes no sense at all.

English heading means the gopher in the magazine dept went to an International school and learnt to write a title in english, but wouldnt pull off anything more. it gains them face! and attracts more high so thais that think they are clever cos its in English. its thainess 101

Yeah, I love those posters or magazine stories that have an English heading but then the whole text is in Thai.

Fair enough if the target audience is Thai then it should be in Thai, but why the english headings. It makes no sense at all.

In our moobaan everything is english but nobody can speak it, not at the sales gallery or the baan-office at the reception. All advertisings are english, the guy at the local 711 can speak english but nobody from the property developer and he has a lot of personell. clap2.gif

When i walk into the salesgallery the salesgirls all get in panic, before i can open my mouth they allready have called my wife to ask what i want.

One day we went to the baan-office together but i waited outside where they could see me. My wife went inside and the girl at the recption got stressed from seeing me and told her boss, ohhh that farang is outside what can we do now? I hope he won't come in. Then her boss told her, oh no problem, his wife is sitting infront of you, you can just speak to her tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png