New Teachers Needed?

John Galt

Globalisation spawns multilingual future

Published on Oct 15, 2006

Why the Kingdom will have to improve its language skills

Are we ready for a multilingual society?

Whether you like it or not, the trend is probably inevitable as the forces of globalisation continue unabated.

"Like many other countries, Thailand is moving towards a multilingual society. Otherwise it will lose many opportunities in global competition," said James Shipton, director of English Language Services at the British Council Thailand.

Besides English, Mandarin is the other foreign language with the most potential for Thais, he said, citing a recent study conducted by David Graddol on the status, trend and influence of English around the world.

According to Shipton, English will no longer be a second language or a special skill for many Thais, but it will be regarded as just another common linguistic ability.

The same is likely to happen to Mandarin in the future.

In addition, a multilingual Thai society is not restricted only to the official Thai language, English and Mandarin, but other local dialects will also gain more prominence.

Globally, four languages will be the most popular around the world - English, Spanish Mandarin and Arabic - according to Shipton.

The Graddol study, titled "English Next", forecasts that in the next 10-15 years, around two billion people, one-third of the world's population, will use English in their daily communication.

Despite the growing use of English globally, native English will have fewer roles. The English in practical use will be as diverse as those who use it.

For Thailand, there are at least four major challenges as far as the teaching of English as a foreign language is concerned.

First, what's the appropriate age for children to start learning English Second, how can information and other technologies best be used to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of language teaching? Third, what's the most appropriate curriculum? Fourth, what are the best ways to deal with the country's acute shortage of qualified English teachers?

A senior Education Ministry official, who asked not to be named, said state schools currently needed as many as 10,000 better-qualified English teachers.

The Thaksin government had plans to import a large number of foreign English teachers to fill these positions. According to the Graddol study, encouraging teachers to immigrate is another global trend for countries wanting to improve their citizen's foreign-language proficiency quickly.

Singapore and India are among the region's two major sources of qualified English teachers because both have been successful in teaching English as a foreign language.

However, Shipton of the British Council said a massive migration programme might not be the best option. "The questions are the high cost, how do you make them satisfied living in Thailand's provinces, how do you deal with their families, and most important of all, how we can ensure their quality of teaching?

"If the plan is implemented, it would probably be the largest import of native English teachers in the world's history," he said, adding that importing a massive number of teachers should not be considered as a quick fix. Instead, Thailand should put more resources into improving current Thai teachers of English, as this is a more sustainable choice.

"Thailand is reforming its education system. The road map is good enough to achieve better teaching of English. The question is how to implement it efficiently," he said.

However, the massive import plan is now uncertain. Another senior Education Ministry official, who was earlier in charge of this programme, said: "I am not sure we still have such a plan. You need to wait for the new government's policy on this matter."

For Kasama Worrawan na Ayudhaya, the permanent secretary, creating a proper environment for learning is no less important.

"We cannot make all schools in Thailand bilingual but at least in secondary schools, students should have more English classes - at least 10 per cent more than now," she said.

Outside the school, more English television programmes are one suggestion. Another is special courses for workers to learn English for their particular professions such as taxi drivers, chefs or masseurs, Kasama added.

Shipton agreed with Kasama. He said the key to successful study of English is to consider it as part of a total learning system, and not to separate it.

"Thai children now face three challenges in studying English," he commented from his personal experience.

First, Thai linguistics are naturally different to those in English. Second, culturally, Thais do not dare to make mistakes and worry too much about losing face, which makes studying English and other languages difficult.

Third, institutionally, there are still limitations in the Thai education system such as a lack of qualified teachers.

"Many people mistakenly believe that technique or technology is important in learning English. In fact, motivation is the most important aspect and it should be made a top concern of the Thai school system," Shipton said.

The British Council has several programmes for the study of English in Thailand. One is the well-known English classes for children and students at different levels. Another is the training and assistance for some 1,000 teachers nationwide.

Kamol Sukin

The Nation

:o

what are the best ways to deal with the country's acute shortage of qualified English teachers?

A senior Education Ministry official, who asked not to be named, said state schools currently needed as many as 10,000 better-qualified English teachers.

Singapore and India are among the region's two major sources of qualified English teachers because both have been successful in teaching English as a foreign language.

"If the plan is implemented, it would probably be the largest import of native English teachers in the world's history,"

The Nation

:o

So, THAT'S how the teacher shortage will be solved. Simply redefine Indians, Filipinos and Singaporeans as 'Native English Speakers'. :D

A local school I am aware of on Rangnam road recently sacked all of its 5 native English teachers on the 1st October citing that it was better for them to utilise their own Thai teachers of English instead. What they really meant was that thery didn't really want to fork out WP and VISA's to the native teachers now that the rules have tightened...

I too read the article mentioned in the nation and simply guffawed because there is no way under the current visa rules, regulations and Thai school administration that many English teacher have to put up with, would any qualified English teacher worth their salt will come and put up with the crap that they have to put up with here in Thai schools.

Anyway, before Thailand starts dragging lots of new teachers in from the USA, Canada, OZ, NZ and the UK, I bet the teachers currently in South korea who are looking up north in their current country are probably making their move towards other Asian countries just in case North Korea decide to do something stupid... again.

U have a bold suggestion.

If students are crap - they fail.

I know that this is radical - but allowing the worst students to get 70 percent doesn't motivate anybody...

With all respect for Thai culture, Dan Sai Kid, I think your idea is too radical for Thailand. Every child must pass, nobody loses face, even if nobody teaches and nobody learns.

Wattana got 0% right on my math test, and 43% on the Thai (multiple choice) math test. Did he fail? Of course not.

Another student, now in his third year of the special English program, is a whiz in math and cannot speak a word of English. He's still passing.

It's difficult for people straight from a western society to understand this Thai proclivity to 'bend the rules'. In Thailand everything must look rose-tinted; the reality is often quite different. As PB said the student, parents and school all lose face if Boom doesn't pass his exam. The idea that the results are doctored to allow him/her to pass does not ever affect the way all involved judge the result.

....when they get into the real world and have to take something like TOEFL or IELTS and they fail dramatically and their parents will be all surprised.....

But my kid was in an English program/international school for 10 years, how can their English not be good enough to study abroad?

I know somebody who spent a week teaching 'graduates' of an unaccredited, private, luxury, Thai, matayom school - a totally unaccredited school - how to pass the American GED (general equivalency diploma, for dropouts) because otherwise, their secondary education didn't count, even on paper. And they were so far behind, that it's doubtful they passed the GED test.

So, THAT'S how the teacher shortage will be solved. Simply redefine Indians, Filipinos and Singaporeans as 'Native English Speakers'. :o

I think I know what you may be legitimately referring to to some extent, or at least I hope I do. I cannot comment on the countries you mention, having never visited them, except 2 hours at Singapore airport at 3-5 am.

So list the countries which are the only ones you consider producing native English speakers. Don't forget all the Commonwealth countries, especially in Africa, some of which 'natives' speak outstandingly good English from my personal varying experience (South Africa, Zimbabwe (most visits), Zambia, Kenya, Tanzania, and Nigeria. Other African countries I've visted are francophone visited many years ago.

The assumption by parents, I understand, from other posts, is that they remove kids if presumed tsotsis attempt to teach them! If that prejudice could be overcome, there's all the candidates that will be needed available. By the way, is there less hostility to women African applicants for English teaching posts?

Another solution could be a large teacher exchange programme. I understand there is an exchange programme of UK head tecahers with Thailand, or at least reciprocal visits. I came to know this as their presence was reported during the tsunami.