EU/UK driving license, Thailand and and travel insurance

sureno

Hi

I have looked at the previous posts, and have a question on travel insurance, and its validity for small scooter, and would appreciate if anyone has any experience as follows:

Riding a 125cc Scooter (Suzuki Sky Drive 120cc, not a hire scooter), and taking out travel insurance, and using the following as basis.

• I have a GB driving licence, the pink EU type, and understand I need an international Driving Permit, available from the post office.
  • Further more I would need the CBT licence that allows me to drive up to 125cc
  • The bike is insured and taxed by its Thai owner who is allowing me to use it to get around
  • For avoiding any issues with non-English police, I understand it is best if you get this translated stamped.

Questions on the above, would the above list be about as good a precaution as I could take (I understand its never clear cut sometimes)

There are two issues of protection I guess

1. the liability of where I cause damage to someone else and their car/bike, as well as my own bike (this is already covered by the owner's insurance?), and.....
  2. the damage where, whether my fault or not, I require medical treatment - this is the key area where travel insurance would be required, otherwise I might be facing a big bill if an accident?

Noting the insurer's clause...

Provided I am doing all the usual (helmet, road worthiness etc), if I had an accident, does typical travel insurance cover (eg World Nomad) cover for this type of driving,

"Please be aware that this policy can NOT cover you for motorbike touring or when using a motorbike as your main mode of transport while travelling abroad. This can’t be added, even for an additional premium"

I guess driving around for a cup of coffee, going to the shops and so on is fine....otherwise I dont see what this means, how could it be enforceable..how could you prove etc?

If anyone has experience in this, and I am missing / misunderstanding something it would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

sureno , hi. It seems ( phone them to confirm ) your insurance covers you for "casual" riding , as you say. This may limit your insured travel distance from town. I use companies Cover-for-you or Cover wise for my insurance cover , and both ( for an extra premium ) covers any bikes , any where. The IDP is about £7 for 1 years cover , and is basically a Thai translation of your UK licence. Thats YOU covered. The insurance of the bike , however , varies from very basic third party only ( no fire or theft ) to fully comp - called first class. Find out what the owner has on the bike. You could upgrade it for him , for very little , but for 12 months cover. I would strongly reccomend you purchase a decent "U" lock. Its the vehicle thats insured , possibly with some small cover for you. The rest of the cover will come from your travel insurance. Im sad to say that gerrys answer has substance. Even if its not your fault , and you stay at the scene of an accident , you may be "asked" to pay. Read this line again. Even if you STAY AT THE SCENE. Im not advocating anything - but be very careful.

Thanks a lot Jeff. Really appreciate the advice.

My main concern remains medical expenses, being that as long as I have everything else covered correctly (my list above, I wanted to make sure was correct...), they cannot turn down the claim. Travel insurance is perhaps the most refused insurance, for the most obscure clauses, from what I have read. Yet that can be where the largest bills are, being medical (vs the cost of repairing a dent whether or not you think it was your fault)

I understand the nightmare scenarios about fault, and appreciate you making it clear for me as well.

As long as the bike is taxed , insured ( any level ) and road legal and safe (thread on tires , working brakes ) , and yourself are legal ( licence , helmet , riding safely and not drunk ) , then you just need to confirm any engine size limits ( normally 125cc ) , and if they apply a covered distance limit , to prevent you going on a longer ride. Ive never heard of this clause before. If you have already bought your insurance then check with them , otherwise , try the companys i mentioned. Look for a large "re-patriation" cover level ( up to £ 10 million ). Im not connected to any of them.

Simple - find another Travel insurance company. I spent hours weeding through small print and quotes and have been using 'Go Walkabout' for four years.

Re the legality though a CBT might well not cover you abroad as the learner rules are different. eg, Can you get 'L' plates here?