The abandoned condo building at bali hai pier on google

Howitzer

4 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

i always used mbike to avoid being attacked by stray dogs when the area was infested with parked and rotting mafia boats

They seemed to "like" my bike !!  but not so much me...anyway the feeling is mutual.

IMG_3046.thumb.jpg.727e9768c9817c462f676e832770c689.jpg

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not necessarily disagreeing, but many in use concrete structures exist with unpainted surfaces and last a very long time. One example is concrete railway sleepers, which must take a lot of stress, and none are painted.

There is a huge sector of the construction industry devoted to nothing but developing products and methods to repair screw ups. A hi-rise constructed correctly will be over-engineered and with sufficient cover of rebar the structure can remain sound for many years. Rebar placed to close to the surface might indicate a systemic problem throughout the entire building that may be challenging to repair. Half inch rebar exposing to salt air / water can expand to 8x it's original size. This will occur regardless if the building is in use or not. Obviously water repellant coatings buy time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

True, but only those that knew about it went there. The people that would have gone for a walk and decided to eat there when they reached it, would no longer be going for a walk along that road because it was so unattractive, so no more casual customers.

The place was well known and full most nights, even with the eyesore road. I think the problem was the restaurant occupying public land which the army cleaned up. Remember you had to climb a little fence to get in?

• Sad 1

This is one of the abandoned building next to the expressway in Klong toey, didn't even had cladding on when it was abandoned, but was used as advertising hoarding since, but only been bought out and completed just this year as 'Harbour View Residence'

The Waterfront building has most of the cladding on, so it could potentially last even longer in the present state

OMOP-Building-02.jpg

Just now, digbeth said:

With this much exposed concrete for decades yet it was still salvagable

I think the project was only bought out in 2015 and was only looks like it's completed this year

65931-attachment.jpg

the billboard ad companies in Thailand have an interesting way of advertising products but whole a lot of sense of humor, let me tellya!

10 hours ago, pattayadude said:

On 6/13/2018 at 6:43 PM, tropo said:

I don't know about ghost buildings from 97 being completed

just because you don't know doesn't make digbeth's claim wrong.

If true, it arguably proves that some unfinished projects can be restarted even after 20 years of abandonment.

There's no way that building will ever be finished

seemingly true.

It was more complete than the Bali Hai Pier building when it was abandoned. 

false. there is no proof Bkk building was more complete. Bali Hai building AKA Waterfront had about 40 percent of window frames installed when halted whereas the Bkk one doesn't seem to  have any.

Furthermore, it will be a mistake to compare the two as the one in Bangkok has been abandoned a lot longer than the one in Pattaya.

LOL> you are annoyingly argumentative today. You picked a post you didn't reply to from a week ago in an effort to start an argument with a member you weren't arguing with and mostly agreed with.

What is your problem? 

OK then, start off with a list of projects abandoned, in a tropical climate, from 20 years ago, that were restarted and then completed. Projects that were at the same level of construction as the Bali Hai building.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not necessarily disagreeing, but many in use concrete structures exist with unpainted surfaces and last a very long time. One example is concrete railway sleepers, which must take a lot of stress, and none are painted.

I'm not a construction engineer, but I have a sneaking suspicion that structures that weren't intended to be painted use a different grade of concrete ... such as you see on bridges and piers in the ocean.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tropo said:

LOL> you are annoyingly argumentative today. You picked a post you didn't reply to from a week ago in an effort to start an argument with a member you weren't arguing with and mostly agreed with.

What is your problem? 

OK then, start off with a list of projects abandoned, in a tropical climate, from 20 years ago, that were restarted and then completed. Projects that were at the same level of construction as the Bali Hai building.

I am not arguing with you tropo.I agree with you most of the time because your points are valid and make sense. I just had a disagreement on the comparison of the two buildings same in apples and oranges. Bkk building and  Bali Hai building have similarities but not exactly same. That's all. peace brother.

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2018 at 7:18 PM, altcar bob said:

The quality of the build 20 years ago would be far superior

Although I haven't been to see it close up, the ghost building in BKK does seem more solid by comparison. I'm surprised they let "tourists" up there to look for ghosts.

In another 15 years we can do an exact comparison to see how the Bali Hai Pier building stands the test of time... it'll probably still be there. Bali Hai's close proximity to the ocean will certainly speed up the deterioration.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:
9 hours ago, digbeth said:

If the cables and rebar are capped properly there shouldn't be problem with corrosion

Therein lies the problem in anything constructed in LOS. They couldn't even get the airport taxi areas done properly.

Yeah, if the rebar is capped properly there shouldn't be a problem with corrosion. I'd put money down it's not capped properly and rusting the f**** away. It's not like they planned to stop working on it, one day they came to work and were told to go home.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tropo said:

Yeah, if the rebar is capped properly there shouldn't be a problem with corrosion. I'd put money down it's not capped properly and rusting the f**** away. It's not like they planned to stop working on it, one day they came to work and were told to go home.

There are procedures to have engineers come in and prescribe embedment of rebar with epoxy which can actually be stronger. I was a contractor in Florida many years building on the beach in hurricane zones. Builders would often omit rebar and tie-downs. building inspectors would fail the work and drills and epoxy would save the day. Often times when placement of hardware was critical embedment with epoxy was standard approved practice. Good enough for Miami, good enough for here without the wind load issues.

https://www.strongtie.com/

8 hours ago, tropo said:

It's not like they planned to stop working on it, one day they came to work and were told to go home.

The project got a warning to stop the work a month before and owners were being pressured to stop it during that month but they ignored.

There was enough time to take some  measures but if they took advantage of this time or not is anyone's guess

Edited by pattayadude

3 hours ago, pattayadude said:

The project got a warning to stop the work a month before and owners were being pressured to stop it during that month but they ignored.

There was enough time to take some  measures but if they took advantage of this time or not is anyone's guess

OK, you know a lot more about this development than I do then. I just assumed, like often with construction here, they just locked the gate one day.

Probably they didn't take any protective measures though. Did the construction crew have any idea this was going to become a ghost building?

Come to think of it, there is a real ghost building in Pattaya, apparently with real ghosts. The abandoned Batman Disco, built in 1994 and then closed and abandoned 18 months later. Of course, this was completed and used before being abandoned.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/inside-abandoned-batman-nightclub-left-9208154

Edited by tropo
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, tropo said:

Probably they didn't take any protective measures though. Did the construction crew have any idea this was going to become a ghost building?

I don't know if they took any measures or not. I don't have too much expertise in that area (but if someone does, feel free to post your opinion) but I assume applying protective "chemicals" on the exposed rebars (I don't know if there were any since the project was already topped off) shouldn't have been a herculean task.

I doubt the head hanchos of the project had any idea this would go on 4 years and their building would slowly become a "ghost" considering how boastful, cocky and ignorant  some of them were.I have seen utube videos of their interviews but being a prick doesn't necessarily mean you are irresponsible.

Edited by pattayadude

17 hours ago, tropo said:

Come to think of it, there is a real ghost building in Pattaya, apparently with real ghosts. The abandoned Batman Disco, built in 1994 and then closed and abandoned 18 months later. Of course, this was completed and used before being abandoned.

Regardless of the Batman club, ghost buildings in Pattaya ,Bkk, Chicago or N.Korea, other examples of 15 or 20 year abandoned projects, let's not get carried away here. You and I both know if the parties reach an agreement next or the following year, the fact that Waterfront was abandoned for 5 years isn't gonna be a deal breaker. It will be finished in 1 year or a little longer  and occupied.

And nobody will remember much of its history after 10 years just like many people today don't have a clue-and I don't blame them- how the Northshore was brought back to life from dead.

But if the conditions do not change and still abandoned by 2020, obviously we'll be talking about a different animal.

6 hours ago, pattayadude said:

Regardless of the Batman club, ghost buildings in Pattaya ,Bkk, Chicago or N.Korea, other examples of 15 or 20 year abandoned projects, let's not get carried away here.  

I'm not getting carried away. I thought it was an interesting story about the abandoned Batman club, which few people know about because it's tucked away on a quiet Soi and hardly ever seen by anyone. Lighten up.

19 hours ago, tropo said:

I'm not getting carried away. I thought it was an interesting story about the abandoned Batman club, which few people know about because it's tucked away on a quiet Soi and hardly ever seen by anyone. Lighten up.

bringing up a ghost story on an abandoned and tucked away low rise building from the 90s and carrying it into this discussion of the halted(not abandoned) construction of the 50 story Waterfront by the Bali Hai pier is nothing but perception management.

Your story may be entertaining to some, however it was cleverly "injected" into this topic to suggest that these two projects have similarities. I am lightened up pal.I know where you are getting

5 hours ago, pattayadude said:

bringing up a ghost story on an abandoned and tucked away low rise building from the 90s and carrying it into this discussion of the halted(not abandoned) construction of the 50 story Waterfront by the Bali Hai pier is nothing but perception management.

Your story may be entertaining to some, however it was cleverly "injected" into this topic to suggest that these two projects have similarities. I am lightened up pal.I know where you are getting

so you are saying you prepaid for an apartment at the waterfront?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, pattayadude said:

Seriously dude, you really do need to lighten up. It was offered as a relief. I'm sure most would consider the abandoned Batman Club more interesting than the current debate, that has already gone its course.

... but on a serious note, how an abandoned building decays over 20 years is on topic, and that's what the abandoned Batman Club illustrates.

Edited by tropo
  • Thanks 1