unpleasant smell and dark green colour to breaking waves on Cha-am beach

piersbeckett

Whilst cycling along the beach road in south Cha-am today there was a putrid smell (over and above the smell from the dried fish stalls)!

When turning back north where the road ends I noticed the breaking waves were a very uninviting, dark green colour which was present all the way back to Naratip Road where I turned off.

A hotel owner from U.K. I spoke to said there'd been a storm last night; just wondered if any members had more info'.

I know the water's never clear this far north in the bay but this was as if the sea was stagnant!

Edited by piersbeckett

Could be a green algae bloom, which is not healthy, especially for sea creatures and us! It's poisonous to us after eating the fish.

It's known as 'Devil's Tongue'. As ejpool44 says, it's a built up of algae. Sometimes caused by illegal pumping of sewerage tanks into the sea at night, and then a big algal bloom.

Could be a green algae bloom, which is not healthy, especially for sea creatures and us! It's poisonous to us after eating the fish.

It's known as 'Devil's Tongue'. As ejpool44 says, it's a built up of algae. Sometimes caused by illegal pumping of sewerage tanks into the sea at night, and then a big algal bloom.

When you see that horrible dark green crap flowing out of the canals onto beaches and the sewerage systems that let sewarage flow onto beaches it's a wonder were not all sick.

Even the playground exercise area at Hua Hin close to the Kings Palace has smelly dark water flowing out and smells very bad, I thought authorities might clean that one up.

Then they are so busy building the same old drains ect that it is a reciprocating problem.

And the oil is still in the water as well I swum at the army beach a couple of weeks ago and got covered in it.

When you see that horrible dark green crap flowing out of the canals onto beaches and the sewerage systems that let sewarage flow onto beaches it's a wonder were not all sick.

Even the playground exercise area at Hua Hin close to the Kings Palace has smelly dark water flowing out and smells very bad, I thought authorities might clean that one up.

Then they are so busy building the same old drains ect that it is a reciprocating problem.

And the oil is still in the water as well I swum at the army beach a couple of weeks ago and got covered in it.

the beaches around Hua Hin and Cha Am are terrible.

It has to be said.

the only people who don't think so have never been to the truly beautiful beaches and islands in the world.

None of which are in Thailand.

Unfortunately, even remote unpopulated island beaches in the South Pacific are covered in trash now.