Visa Question

hello all

this site has some very important information especially for those of us who plan to make thailand our next home one thing that i would like to suggest is if some of the repetative questions could be deleted the reason i say this is that i have tried to read every question and answer that is related to retirement type "O" visa's.

maybe its me but the more i read the more confused i get i don't think it's me because the type O visa keeps coming up with answers that are not always the same.

for one, the issue of money in the thai bank some times has me scratching my head, the amount that one has to have in the bank when applying for the visa is no problem but i have seen some people respond with a response like " you will need to have--------this amount of money in the bank OR a total that would be the equivelant of that amount and what your monthly income would be", what in the world does that mean ?

do i take the 800,00 baht plus multiply a certain number by twelve and add the two together and if i do that do i have a right to dip into my funds every month to have something to live off of ?, this maybe easy for some of you but it seems like there are a few pitfalls one could take if they don't have every thing lined up.

with so many expats living in thailand it can't be that hard but from where i sit it appears to be complicated.

ergojor

It would be nice if it wasn't that hard.

However, this appears to be a dynamic situation, which really makes this forum a fantastic resource.

Dynamic in the sense of

-- changing politics

-- changing visa rules

-- different ways different offices and officers interpret the rules

So, perhaps, it just ain't that simple. And not likely to get that simple anytime soon. Or ever.

Well, this is the charm of a Forum. Dealing with the Immigration may be more complicated than finding the thread in the Forums. Anyway, with the limited information you provide about yourself, my comments may not answer your question. However, I presume you will settle in LOS as a retiree, non-American and not married to a Thai.

Hence, you need to demonstrate to the Immigration Authorities that you have a Thai bank account with Baht 800,000; or that you have a monthly income in Baht totaling Baht 66,667 (Baht 800,000 for the year) If you have a monthly income of less than Baht 66,667 you have to deposit an amount in Baht which equals the difference between your annual income and Baht 800,000.

Maybe it will change next year?

Cheers......kandt :o

However, this appears to be a dynamic situation, which really makes this forum a fantastic resource.

Dynamic in the sense of

-- changing politics

-- changing visa rules

So, perhaps, it just ain't that simple. And not likely to get that simple anytime soon. Or ever.

you forgot to mention:

-how drunk posters are

-how pedantic they feel

just my tuppence worth

Bash

• 2 weeks later...

However,  this appears to be a dynamic situation, which really makes this forum a fantastic resource.

Dynamic in the sense of

-- changing politics

-- changing visa rules

you forgot to mention:

-how drunk posters are

-how pedantic they feel

just my tuppence worth

Bash

You are dead right Bash. :o