Koh Phangan shooting prompts crackdown on 'Foreign Mafia'

webfact

Phangan Shooting Prompts Crackdown on ‘Foreign Mafia’
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14530971101453097138l.jpg
The gunman, Sihanath Chaipinit, performed the re-enactment in front of Palita Lodge on Jan.16.

SURAT THANI — Police have been ordered from the highest level to crack down on foreign mafia operating on Koh Phangan after a local official and Russian bar owner were arrested in connection with intimidation backed by gunfire on the island famous for its full moon parties.

Following arrests of two suspects in the shooting, Deputy Prime Minister Gen. Prawit Wongsuwan announced Sunday measures would be taken against foreigners business operators behaving like mafia on the famous resort islands of Koh Samui and Koh Phangan.

“Gen. Prawit is extremely concerned about the influence of foreigners,” said Maj. Gen. Apichart Boonsriroj of the Surat Thani police station. “He stressed officials must not be involved or giving any support to their illegal actions.”

Five gunshots were fired in the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday into rooms occupied by tourists at Haad Rin Nok, the site of the monthly full moon bacchanals. No one was injured. The gunshots were believed meant to intimidate the bungalow’s owner after he filed a complaint with police about noisy overnight parties at a nearby bar owned by the Russian.

Over the weekend, police arrested 31-year-old Russian national Sergei Milentie, who operated the Similan bar where the parties were held, and Chanin Phetsri, the 54-year-old mayor of a community on the mainland. Chanin was said to have rented the bar to Milentie.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1453097110

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-18

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Police arrest local mayor after gunfire shooting at Had Rin beach on Koh Phangan Island

Mayor-arrested-in-Phangan.jpg

SURAT THANI: -- A local mayor is facing attempted murder charges in connection with a shooting incident that appeared to have been triggered by a noise complaint on the full-moon party island of Koh Phangan.

Police, armed with a court warrant, on Friday evening arrested Chanin Phetsri, 54, after searching his home in Tha Khanom municipality in Khiri Ratthanikhom district on the mainland of the southern province. He is charged with hiring two men to fire shots into a resort next door to a property he owns at Haad Rin beach on Koh Phangan. Mr Chanin is also the mayor of Tha Khanom.

Charged with carrying out the shootings at Palita Lodge early on Jan 12 were Sihanart Chaipinit, 62, and Jirat Khuadkaew, 38. The incident caused panic among tourists but no injuries were reported.

Shortly after the attack, police arrested Jarong Hongthong, 38, manager of the Chang Phuek bungalows and Similan bar, which are located next to Palita Lodge.

The Chang Phuek bungalows and Similan bar are owned by Mr Chanin, who leased the bar to a Russian businessman to operate, said Pol Maj Gen Apichart Bunsriroj, chief of the Surat Thani police, who led the search of the mayor’s house.

Seized from the house were .38, 9mm and 11mm pistols and some bullets. Police also searched the houses of the two accused gunmen and found a .38 pistol allegedly used in the attack.

Police charged Mr Chanin with hiring others to carry out a crime in a premeditated attempt to kill others. He denied all charges. The officers also charged Mr Sihanart and Mr Jirat with colluding in the attempted murder and illegal possession of firearms without permission. Mr Sihanart was arrested earlier but Mr Jirat has fled.

Full Story Here – Koh Phangan News

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2016-01-18

The Thai Mafia ia alowed with no fear of police involvement to rape rob and murder visitors on a daily basis. It happens several times a day in this country. But when a foriegner tetaliates they are mafia. Thats such bullshit, If this crome was actually investigated by police and the perpatrator was Thai aw 500 thb fine or nothing at all. So sick of this place. Im out. Cant stand this anymore....

"Police charged Mr Chanin with hiring others to carry out a crime in a premeditated attempt to kill others. He denied all charges. The officers also charged Mr Sihanart and Mr Jirat with colluding in the attempted murder and illegal possession of firearms without permission. Mr Sihanart was arrested earlier but Mr Jirat has fled."

Sounds like Thai names to me?

What did the foreigners do?

Apart from sleep in their beds?

Why do the police etc., always react after the event?

Why are they not always proactive to know about things in motion which are / will be illegal?

Why don't they stop things which are about to break laws etc., before they happen?

Why don't the courts hand out enough serious punishment to strongly deter others from such behaviors and values?

The Thai Mafia ia alowed with no fear of police involvement to rape rob and murder visitors on a daily basis. It happens several times a day in this country. But when a foriegner tetaliates they are mafia. Thats such bullshit, If this crome was actually investigated by police and the perpatrator was Thai aw 500 thb fine or nothing at all. So sick of this place. Im out. Cant stand this anymore....

I think a lot of falang feel the same as you. The Thai's dont care as they only want our money.

I'll bet you will break your promise, swallow it and will be roaming around in Thailand for some years to come.

"...announced Sunday measures would be taken against foreigners business operators behaving like mafia..."

Yep, only Thai police and other powerful Thai families have the right to act like mafia. Same, same taking jobs away from a Thai.

amerasianex

Why not stay out from the tourist place, then you safe,

You tired of Thailand? where you go? you think it is better in other countries?

Well, Good luck to find the paradise! I hope you young, it gonna take you a lifetime to find it.

Thailand is great but these islands clearly have a huge problem. This current government took over to apparently reign in corruption yet these islands can go on unabated it seems (unless you are a foreign mafia of course)

“Gen. Prawit is extremely concerned about the influence of foreigners,” said Maj. Gen. Apichart Boonsriroj of the Surat Thani police station. “He stressed officials must not be involved or giving any support to their illegal actions.”

This absolute half man coward, is again at it. Backing up the Thai criminals with all the power of his body and soul. What do children do when faced with a real problem? Deny, deny, deny. What does Prawit do? Deny, deny, deny. Blame it all on the foreigners. On the next island over he has a serial killer wreaking havoc, and the richest Thai mafia families in the south, on Dark Tao. And what does he do about it? Nothing. Go after the bad foreigners, is the only response this incompetent man child can muster up.

Police arrest local mayor after gunfire shooting at Had Rin beach on Koh Phangan Island

Mayor-arrested-in-Phangan.jpg

SURAT THANI: -- A local mayor is facing attempted murder charges in connection with a shooting incident that appeared to have been triggered by a noise complaint on the full-moon party island of Koh Phangan.

Police, armed with a court warrant, on Friday evening arrested Chanin Phetsri, 54, after searching his home in Tha Khanom municipality in Khiri Ratthanikhom district on the mainland of the southern province. He is charged with hiring two men to fire shots into a resort next door to a property he owns at Haad Rin beach on Koh Phangan. Mr Chanin is also the mayor of Tha Khanom.

Charged with carrying out the shootings at Palita Lodge early on Jan 12 were Sihanart Chaipinit, 62, and Jirat Khuadkaew, 38. The incident caused panic among tourists but no injuries were reported.

Shortly after the attack, police arrested Jarong Hongthong, 38, manager of the Chang Phuek bungalows and Similan bar, which are located next to Palita Lodge.

The Chang Phuek bungalows and Similan bar are owned by Mr Chanin, who leased the bar to a Russian businessman to operate, said Pol Maj Gen Apichart Bunsriroj, chief of the Surat Thani police, who led the search of the mayor’s house.

Seized from the house were .38, 9mm and 11mm pistols and some bullets. Police also searched the houses of the two accused gunmen and found a .38 pistol allegedly used in the attack.

Police charged Mr Chanin with hiring others to carry out a crime in a premeditated attempt to kill others. He denied all charges. The officers also charged Mr Sihanart and Mr Jirat with colluding in the attempted murder and illegal possession of firearms without permission. Mr Sihanart was arrested earlier but Mr Jirat has fled.

Full Story Here – Koh Phangan News

samuitimes-logo.jpg

-- Samui Times 2016-01-18

Oh .....THAT Mayor.....not the one from Koh Tao.....yet.

There is a very real mafia in Thailand and it has nothing to do with wannabe Russian leaseholders of bars on the islands! If this nasty piece of work was commissioned to the right peopled, the story would have never had a mention in the media! This lot were just a bunch of stupid cowboys!

I think a lot of falang feel the same as you. The Thai's dont care as they only want our money.

Add me to this list. After ten years I have now finalised my travel arrangements and will be leaving here forever.

I can only speak for Koh Phangan, (but problems appear even worse on KT). The corruption has been obvious for a long, long time but the rise in organised crime the past five or so years is now getting out of control and too dangerous. It doesn't help that the worst gang wear pathetic tight fitting uniforms...

It is as though the Russians brought speed to the party and the entire place is now a mad frenzy of idiots on bikes, big bikes and cars, speeding like there is no tomorrow. The taxis have always been manic but they are second worst now.

The police here are the same as KT, just a little more circumspect, but just as corrupt so the 'foreign mafia' are, in this case nothing of the sort - they are rent boys working for a corrupt Thai official, just like the foreigners on TV applauding the recent B2 conviction; rent boys living 'the life' without proper work permits or visas, 'protected' by corrupt police, officials and redneck 'Deliverance' type families. Thanks to their incredibly low IQs they are lulled into this false sense of warmth but in reality they can and will find themselves thrown to the wolves the very first opportunity if it means protecting one of the 'dippy' family members, (like the one who calls his sister Mom and his grandad Dad)...

These are the most beautiful islands anywhere (to me) - what a crying shame they have been placed in the hands of such incapable, inbred sociopaths who will destroy everything in their all-consuming lust for money and power...

I am starting to think there are no honest people left here, and am too ashamed to go on saying this is my home. The anger inside me is barely controllable so it is best I leave this godforsaken place.

sad.png

Phangan and Samui islands are corrupt not only in the bars not so long ago I went to the Nathon district offices to get a yellow house book normal price is between 100 to 200 baht . After much discussion with the staff on the front desk my Thai friend of 10 years told me they wanted 30,000 baht for the yellow book , in my Thai friend eyes she said that they were as corrupt as the local Mafia , to make sure that it was not a mistake she got her friend to go the next day and she was quoted 150 baht !!

So the owner of the bar is a local thai politician, the party was also his, and he hired the hit man, HOW THE HELL ON EARTH NOW the Russians are to be blamed or the foreigners labeled as mafia, in this connection????

So the owner of the bar is a local thai politician, the party was also his, and he hired the hit man, HOW THE HELL ON EARTH NOW the Russians are to be blamed or the foreigners labeled as mafia, in this connection????

The Russian must have put these ideas in their heads, then forced them to carry out the actions. A Thai would never dream of doing such a thing. But foreigners, well, you just never know. And before foreigners, there was no crime, corruption or even unpleasant words.

whistling.gif

Archived