Short Trip From/Near Bangkok

OliverKlozerof

So, I'm finally (almost) ready to take a 1–2 day trip on my little Brompton folder out of Bangkok. I live sort of on the outskirts of town in Udom Suk (3 stops past On Nut on BTS line). My predilection is to point myself vaguely in the direction of Pattaya, pedal until I'm tired, find a hotel for the night, continue or pedal back the next day, evaluate.

The obvious route would be Sukhumvit Road. But, equally obvious, to be avoided if at all possible. On the map it's hard to see if there's really any alternate route. I suppose there are places to crash for the night most of the way between here and there?
Or, maybe I should do something quite different; for example, board a bus at Ekamai to X destination (not too far away, but perhaps far enough to get some better biking roads), then start from there. The ocean seems like a fun destination, but I might be convinced to head in a completely different direction (Kanchanaburi? Kaoyai?). Any experience/ideas?

Take your bicycle on the BTS to mo chit. Get a bus to Pattaya. Start riding.

Where? On walking street? Beach Road? Are the roads of Pattaya so friendly to cyclists? And i thought buses to Pattaya go from Ekamai which is very close to Udomsuk where he lives.

[Take your bicycle on the BTS to mo chit. Get a bus to Pattaya. Start riding.]

Take BTS to Ekamai for the bust terminal to Pattaya.

[Where? On walking street? Beach Road? Are the roads of Pattaya so friendly to cyclists?]

Not Pattaya, Pattaya, more like the surrounding area.

But I would recommend Chantaburi for a good long distance ride on nice roads.

If you like urban cycling, there's a quiet road from Bangna to Klong Thoie - I say quiet, but only relatively so, that goes past the backs of the refineries. But its not very far. On the other hand, maybe down towards the river there are more quiet roads heading out to Samutprakarn. Check out what other people do, on Strava.

SC

Get a bus to Samut Songkran and ride over to Petchaburi through the shrimp farms...you will not see many people..Or Petchaburi to Cha-am down the coast ..not down Phetkasem..bike path part of the way..

Take your bike to Hua Hin and red bus to Pranburi Tesco Lotus ..head for Pak Nam Pranburi...and head to Sam Roi Yot..fabulous roads round there and empty..and finish at Kui Buri..

Done all these on my folding bikes including my Brommie..

take the train to kanchanaburi ,it leaves from a small station across the river from lets say phra athit rd-near kao san,thonburi, many nice roads there for the bicycle,very nice trainride. sit on the right side for shade.

Bangkok - Kanchanaburi - Nam Tok
3rd class trains only! train # 485 train # 257 train # 259 depart arrive depart arrive depart arrive Bangkok (Thonburi) 07:45 13:35 Nakhon Pathom 08:54 14:52 Kanchanaburi 05:57 10:45 16:19 River Kwai Bridge 06:05 10:55 16:26 Thakilen 07:19 11:37 17:33 Tham Krasae 07:38 11:41 17:51 Wang Pho 07:49 11:52 18:01 Nam Tok 08:20 12:20 18:30
matop.giftop

Some good advice here--thanks.
I rode the train up to River Kwai/Kanchanaburi some years ago. That would also be a good trip, but this time I'll probably take one of the routes nearer the sea.

Side issue: Some friends say 'watch out--foreigners have gotten killed bicycle touring.' Just to compare, I googled (something like...) 'number of bicyclists killed in USA per year,' and found that there are a lot. (Can't recall exact number, but was sobering.) So I replied to my friend that, hey, cyclists get killed everywhere. (In other words, one can get killed doing just about anything, anywhere.) I just try to 'be aware' and not get in front of fast traffic. I do not have a mirror though...wonder if I should get one? I suppose it wouldn't hurt, though it certainly wouldn't automatically save me if some vehicle just veered on top of me. I've been biking in/around Sukhumvit/Bangkok for a few years. Again, I think 'being aware' is the best way to go. Of course, I'm often looking over my shoulder if I think there's any possibility someone's getting close. I've got great ears and that helps a lot.

Some good advice here--thanks.

I rode the train up to River Kwai/Kanchanaburi some years ago. That would also be a good trip, but this time I'll probably take one of the routes nearer the sea.

Side issue: Some friends say 'watch out--foreigners have gotten killed bicycle touring.' Just to compare, I googled (something like...) 'number of bicyclists killed in USA per year,' and found that there are a lot. (Can't recall exact number, but was sobering.) So I replied to my friend that, hey, cyclists get killed everywhere. (In other words, one can get killed doing just about anything, anywhere.) I just try to 'be aware' and not get in front of fast traffic. I do not have a mirror though...wonder if I should get one? I suppose it wouldn't hurt, though it certainly wouldn't automatically save me if some vehicle just veered on top of me. I've been biking in/around Sukhumvit/Bangkok for a few years. Again, I think 'being aware' is the best way to go. Of course, I'm often looking over my shoulder if I think there's any possibility someone's getting close. I've got great ears and that helps a lot.

Your friend told you about the cyclists killed here because it's newsworthy. You can get killed anywhere. Cyclist deaths in the US are so high that most don't even make the news

Your plan for a first trip is perfect. Ride til you get tired, find a place to sleep, ride back. For your second trip, come up to Chiang Mai where the cycling is great. spend a few days. (Nimmanhaemin area is best to access the best cycling routes.) The local expats will make sure you do some awesome rides. If I'm around, I'll help coordinate your riding schedule.

And if you want to see behind you, you could try the Garmin Varia Radar, cost around 10k THB for that additional bit of awareness

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/10/garmin-varia-radar-review.html

Another trip to try is starting out at Rangsit and riding the river roads up to Ayudthaya, round trip is 100-130km depending on the route you take, and can do it in one day if you want.

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

If you contact the " ONE FINE Day " Brompton dealer they organise a Brompton ride every Sunday where they hire a coach and go off somewhere for the day...30 or 40 on folding bikes...Been a couple of times..good fun..lots of English speakers in the group..Also do a ride on a Friday evening..

NB..Roads in Dolphin Bay area and Sam Roy Yot are virtually traffic free!