Los Ranked Number 3 For Murders

nostrel

With Reference to Safety in Pattaya.

I must admit I do feel a lot safer now in Pattaya since they have that muppet tourist police volunteer that sits out side the police bus who does not seem to do anything but scowl at everyone at the bottom of walking street. :o

What a waste of resources................

You want to see them jogging around?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there was a young gal tourist from Korea in Pattaya who was found murdered and dismembered and her body parts stuffed in a sewer pipe . maybe she was just unlucky .

And there was a chap in the UK called Donald Neilson (The Black Panther).... the Cop that eventually caught him was later prosecuted for indecent assault (not against Neilson, but 4 teenaged girls)

We could go on like this all day, all year if you want........ tell you what, you keep spouting and I'll just chip in every now and again.

there was a young gal tourist from Korea in Pattaya who was found murdered and dismembered and her body parts stuffed in a sewer pipe . maybe she was just unlucky .

Her Korean boyfriend was arrested and extradited for the murder. Hope this helps....

You can't have it both ways.

You state that Pattaya is not representative of Thailand so therefore crime rates in Pattaya are not indicative of Thailand in general. However this is where a lot of foreigners live and the crime rate and violence is very high so therefore foreigners are at high risk in Pattaya. This sort of debunks you whole hypothesis that Thailand is safe for foreigners. There is always going to be more Thai on Thai violence as there are by numbers many more Thais. Nonetheless uderstating the risks doesn't do anyone any good.

Before any poster here starts posting that they have never had any trouble in Thailand blah blah blah...that means nothing other than you have been lucky. There are still plenty of people walking around Baghdad too who haven't been bombed or robbed or whatever. Thailand is not Iraq but instead of posters continually burying their heads in the sand they need to recognise that there are significant levels of violence in Thailand and that foreigners can very easily become caught up in the increasing levels of violence.

Everytime there is discussion on violence in Thailand the same old caveats come up ....it is nearly all Thai on Thai , the farang had it coming , didn't understand the culture, nothing has ever happened to me therefore everything is peachy, was drunk , was in a nightlife area therefore he should expect such things to happen, married a bargirl, did business with dodgy Thais ad naseum.

You may perceive that you are safer in Thailand but the reality is that for most westerners they are at much greater risk of violencve in Thailand than in their home country.

Pattaya is only one location where farangs congregate in Thailand, and the idea that farangs are in great danger there is ludicrous, as is your statement that farangs are in much greater danger from violence than in their home countries. Some are, many are not. You have presented not a shred of statistical evidence to back up your assertions, and the study cited in the article posted by the OP has at least one major error that renders any conclusions about Thailand's ranking and relative risk utterly useless. Furthermore, it is erroneous to assume that the average farang's risk is the same as the average Thai's. Do you have any studies that back that up? I will give you an example. Is the risk of violent death for a black man in the US the same as a white man in the US? Absolutely not. A horrendous difference in risk. You are assuming that the rates of Thai and Farang victimization are the same, and yet you and others have presented no evidence that that is the case. The plural of anecdote is data. Get some on farang risk and on any supposed increase in violence in Thailand and then we can talk...

And there was a chap in the UK called Donald Neilson (The Black Panther).... the Cop that eventually caught him was later prosecuted for indecent assault (not against Neilson, but 4 teenaged girls)

We could go on like this all day, all year if you want........ tell you what, you keep spouting and I'll just chip in every now and again.

Correct, things do happen in Thailand, but people should realise that these murders etc dont just happen in Thailand. Murders actually do happen in other countries too :o

Correct, things do happen in Thailand, but people should realise that these murders etc dont just happen in Thailand. Murders actually do happen in other countries too :o

And as you can see in the presented statistics rather clearly, in Thailand the murder rate is far higher than in any western country, or, simply put: these murders "happen" a bit more often here in Thailand than back in the west.

I have to agree with qualtrough in one point definately - the risk of encountering violence is for the average Thai far higher than for the average Farang. If that might change in the future is a different debate alltogether.

You can't have it both ways.

You state that Pattaya is not representative of Thailand so therefore crime rates in Pattaya are not indicative of Thailand in general. However this is where a lot of foreigners live and the crime rate and violence is very high so therefore foreigners are at high risk in Pattaya. This sort of debunks you whole hypothesis that Thailand is safe for foreigners. There is always going to be more Thai on Thai violence as there are by numbers many more Thais. Nonetheless uderstating the risks doesn't do anyone any good.

Before any poster here starts posting that they have never had any trouble in Thailand blah blah blah...that means nothing other than you have been lucky. There are still plenty of people walking around Baghdad too who haven't been bombed or robbed or whatever. Thailand is not Iraq but instead of posters continually burying their heads in the sand they need to recognise that there are significant levels of violence in Thailand and that foreigners can very easily become caught up in the increasing levels of violence.

Everytime there is discussion on violence in Thailand the same old caveats come up ....it is nearly all Thai on Thai , the farang had it coming , didn't understand the culture, nothing has ever happened to me therefore everything is peachy, was drunk , was in a nightlife area therefore he should expect such things to happen, married a bargirl, did business with dodgy Thais ad naseum.

You may perceive that you are safer in Thailand but the reality is that for most westerners they are at much greater risk of violencve in Thailand than in their home country.

Pattaya is only one location where farangs congregate in Thailand, and the idea that farangs are in great danger there is ludicrous, as is your statement that farangs are in much greater danger from violence than in their home countries. Some are, many are not. You have presented not a shred of statistical evidence to back up your assertions, and the study cited in the article posted by the OP has at least one major error that renders any conclusions about Thailand's ranking and relative risk utterly useless. Furthermore, it is erroneous to assume that the average farang's risk is the same as the average Thai's. Do you have any studies that back that up? I will give you an example. Is the risk of violent death for a black man in the US the same as a white man in the US? Absolutely not. A horrendous difference in risk. You are assuming that the rates of Thai and Farang victimization are the same, and yet you and others have presented no evidence that that is the case. The plural of anecdote is data. Get some on farang risk and on any supposed increase in violence in Thailand and then we can talk...

At least the OP has presented some statistical evidence to support his viewpoint. You have presented none yourself.

On Stickmans site there was a while back a very good interview with a policeman who supports the view that violence in on the increase and indeed random violence is on the increase. The OP also has an interview with a policeman who supports this view.

On the one hand with have your ramblings and half cocked assertions without any statiistical evidence and then we have professionals in the frontline. Who do you think has more credibility?

The only thing that i would agree with you is that Thais are at greater risks than farangs. This i have never disputed.

At least the OP has presented some statistical evidence to support his viewpoint. You have presented none yourself.

On Stickmans site there was a while back a very good interview with a policeman who supports the view that violence in on the increase and indeed random violence is on the increase. The OP also has an interview with a policeman who supports this view.

On the one hand with have your ramblings and half cocked assertions without any statiistical evidence and then we have professionals in the frontline. Who do you think has more credibility?

The only thing that i would agree with you is that Thais are at greater risks than farangs. This i have never disputed.

Tolley, the burden of proof lies with those making a claim. I am only asking for those stating that Thailand is a dangerous place for farangs to offer some evidence other than anecdotes and conjecture. The statistical evidence supplied by the OP is very suspect for reasons that have been pointed out by others on this forum, and in any case it doesn't offer any evidence that farangs are in any particular danger.

Stickman, professionals, you're joking right?

I have a theory (I have a high horse too... but that's another story)

Sporadic violence.

This occurs all over the world, I can only guarantee visual confirmation from the UK, Benidorm, Tenerife.... and a few other places.

A group of people go for a night out, they all speak the same language and the male part of that group is, let's say, looking to park his undercarriage at some point.

Some get happy, some get disappointed, some of the disappointed get a little bit tetchy.... and that is when fights start.

In Pattaya (or name any entertainment centre) ... the question of 'going home alone' is superfluous.. it isn't going to happen. (for a farang)

Most acts of senseless violence occur between young males of the same nationality competing over a bit of skirt...... farangs in Thailand will probably never be put in that situation.

Drunk and lustful English citizens will have more problems in England.

Drunk and lustful Thais will have more problems in Thailand.

But, in more than one respect, life is cheeper in Thailand.

//edit/clarity

Edited by Thaddeus