Anyone has experience to drive car in ASEAN country with Thai driver's license?

jiangaq

Have rented fully insured vehicles and driven in Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia with a Thai license. No problems at all.

I know the new produced license can be done, could you show me your copy of it? Thank you!

I think the little I could copy would be meaningless after deleting my name, address, birthdate, and license number.

Okay, no address, but I think you get the point. After deleting personal information, not much left.

Edited by Sealbash

I also have rented cars with Singapore license in Europe (not international, just the plastic card). Reason simply to avoid any speed trap payments and this works. But it does not matter, if you have an accident and you drive without valid papers. No insurance will pay.

Edited by MadMac

No need to have an IDP. I have rented and driven cars in many countries around the world with my Thai DL. IDP is of no value unless the license is lacking in English---the IDP is just a translation after all, it has no special validity. Some states in the US even state specifically that IDPs are not valid there.

You'll do great with your Thai license within the entire ASEAN region; except Burma and Vietnam I've driven everywhere with my Thai license, legally that is!

Just yesterday I changed/renewed my 1 year temporary licence to the 5 year.

All non-temporary Thai DL are valid in ALL ASEAN countries. So also Burma and Vietnam.

She even asked back at her supervisor.

You'll do great with your Thai license within the entire ASEAN region; except Burma and Vietnam I've driven everywhere with my Thai license, legally that is!

Just yesterday I changed/renewed my 1 year temporary licence to the 5 year.

All non-temporary Thai DL are valid in ALL ASEAN countries. So also Burma and Vietnam.

She even asked back at her supervisor.

No they are not. Only the 5 year DL just because some slip through dose not make it legal. If you can sho this to be otherwise with proper link to updated info then that would be news.

No need to have an IDP. I have rented and driven cars in many countries around the world with my Thai DL. IDP is of no value unless the license is lacking in English---the IDP is just a translation after all, it has no special validity. Some states in the US even state specifically that IDPs are not valid there.

i have rented autos in the US and driven up down on the east cost and up and down on the west cost using only my Thai DL. Its a smart card and is in english. Its also a 5 Year DL NOT a 1 or 2 that says TEMPORARY at the top.

Apply my Thai driver license 3 years before, don't have int'l license, is it legal to drive in Indonesia with Thai driver's license?

There is no such thing as an "International" driving license. All driving licenses are individually issued by the nation for which they are valid.

What there is is an International driving permit/document which is essentially a translation of your licence into many languages, it is not a license and as such is useless on its own.

As has been said go to the Land Transport Dept. and get one. No test. No line up. You have to take your Thai license/passport/ID card and two pictures.

1194281775.jpg

Then you will be all set as Indonesians drive in Indonesia just like Thais drive in Thailand so you will feel right at home smile.png

Edited by VocalNeal

I thought that once you hold a Thai full licence that you could exchange it for a licence that covers you for 10 countries in Asia, can't name them now, came out about a year ago, been meaning to get mine but never got round to it yet, sort of like the Euro licence that are now issued in Europe.

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely can confirm that the permanent Thai DL is accepted in Vietnam. And I guess then also in the other ASEAN countries.

I got stopped four times around Saigon.

Two times no problem at all, they just looking a bit strange if foreigner has a Thai DL.

The other two times they tried to squeeze some money for other reasons. I drove 61km/h instead of 50. You have picture or camera to prove? No? Okay, you can go!

The other one was really annoying, the colleague of the cop who checked my licence shouting all the time "Money, money" and waving with bills.

I asked, what do you want? I have valid DL. After two minutes I requested to talk with the supervisor. Immediately got my licence back and could continue driving.

Just be self confident and polite. They know it's legal to drive with the Thai DL.