Car Insurance renewal

croftrobin

My annual renewal is in Febuary.

Been insured for the last 6 years

If I plan to change the car say in June, can I just buy 4 months insurance or do I have to buy a full years and then either cancel for a part refund or lose all.

Have had differing views on this.

Edited by croftrobin

Just renew the insurance as normal. When you sell the car one of the enhancements will be that your selling it with insurance. Short term or refunds are not economical or worth the hassle involved. Live life, relax and enjoy. Your going to take a hit when you sell anyway, what's another 5k or so?

Just renew the insurance as normal. When you sell the car one of the enhancements will be that your selling it with insurance. Short term or refunds are not economical or worth the hassle involved. Live life, relax and enjoy. Your going to take a hit when you sell anyway, what's another 5k or so?

OK all well if I sell it privately, what if I want to trade it in with a garage?

Its more like a 9k hit - would buy another smartphone!

OK all well if I sell it privately, what if I want to trade it in with a garage?

You will take a hit if you go for short term or a refund on the insurance, you will only get a small % of the un-used premium. That pales into insignificance by the loss you will make by selling to a dealer, my experience is that they are greedier than their western counterparts.

You could try changing your insurance broker to reduce the initial cost of insurance or you could renew with a voluntary excess on the policy. I use a 5k voluntary excess and my class1 is 10,500 (down from 27k).

You will take a hit if you go for short term or a refund on the insurance, you will only get a small % of the un-used premium. That pales into insignificance by the loss you will make by selling to a dealer, my experience is that they are greedier than their western counterparts.

You could try changing your insurance broker to reduce the initial cost of insurance or you could renew with a voluntary excess on the policy. I use a 5k voluntary excess and my class1 is 10,500 (down from 27k).

" I use a 5k voluntary excess and my class1 is 10,500 (down from 27k)."

The Actuary who figured out that premium differential must be an absolute genius. facepalm.gif

You will take a hit if you go for short term or a refund on the insurance, you will only get a small % of the un-used premium.

I have done this twice now, and both times the refund was about 80% of the unused premium. So I would not call that a small %.

You will take a hit if you go for short term or a refund on the insurance, you will only get a small % of the un-used premium.

I have done this twice now, and both times the refund was about 80% of the unused premium. So I would not call that a small %.

There you go then, that's the route to take!

Edited by billphillips

" I use a 5k voluntary excess and my class1 is 10,500 (down from 27k)."

The Actuary who figured out that premium differential must be an absolute genius. facepalm.gif

Yea! Don't you just love it when Thai logic comes into play at your advantage.

Anyone that's interested in a quote try this...

https://www.gluaygluay.com/en/