Govt helping rubber price issue with sincerity, says PM Prayut

webfact

Govt helping rubber price issue with sincerity, says PM

BANGKOK, 20 January 2016 (NNT) – The Prime Minister has expressed a sincere wish to solve the rubber price issue, saying the purchase process devised by the government will be done properly.

The Prime Minister, Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has attended an exhibition of new uses for rubber, held by the the Ministry of Science and Technology at Government House, praising all the entrepreneurs who have developed innovative new uses for the product.

He said the government is willing to address the low rubber price issue, with the initial measures being to purchase rubber from farmers at 45 baht per kilogram, and to introduce more rubber into manufacturing processes. He stressed that the process of government purchases will be corruption free.

He then called on all government agencies to pay attention to innovations shown at the exhibition and to provide support for research and standards certification, to make rubber products well accepted in both domestic and international markets.

The Prime Minister has also made recent donations to the Thai Red Cross Society for the care of retired elders, inviting the general public to help support projects for the elderly, saying that the social agenda today must focus on the development of human resources which lead to further development of the nation.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-01-20 footer_n.gif

The government purchase of the rubber is not as good as they are making it out to be. I live in the south and my wife's family all have rubber trees. They said that this purchase was no good because they only allowed 100,000 baht to this area which is a main supplier of rubber. This means that each farmer can only sell and receive about 4000 baht. That small amount can not help anyone one person let alone a family. They told me they won't even bother wasting their time to do it because it is more paperwork involved for such a meager amount that they would get. My wife's family is not rich and they only have about 15 rai of rubber trees that I'd farmed. If such a small amount was allowed to this area where 70% of the farming is with rubber then how could this purchase scheme help.

I have heard that rubber farmers are now cutting their young trees at 13-15 Baht per kilogram to earn some extra money. These are just 6" diameter which I presumed to be about 10-12 years. When that dries up and the meagre amount by the government not really helping much; we can expect the rubber farmers putting more pressures on the government very soon. The band-aid will not last too long.

"purchase process devised by the government will be done properly."

And if it isn't, no one will know.

And if someone says it isn't, the military will investigate itself and find no issues.

And if anyone in the future charges it wasn't, it doesn't matter because the NCPO, its subordinates and sub-subordinates cannot be prosecuted.

When you're leader of the ratpack, reform is so much simpler.

Do not cry for these farmers. When the price was high, they were cutting down fruit trees to plant more rubber trees. They created this problem themselves. When the price was at 100 + baht/kg; companies started to import more raw rubber from Malaysia, at a lower price. Rubber like rice, oil, gold are all commodities. Supply and Demand. Simple.

How can you have a sustainable economy when the 3 main crops, rice rubber and cassava are grown in many countries around the world and so therefore subject to international pricing ? Even if the farmers diversify or go in for crop rotation they will still be subject to prices going up and down. There is no crop exclusive to Thailand that has a significant world market. Most small farmers in western Europe were forced out years ago, centuries ago in the UK. That is why France has backed the EU's agricultural subsidies so strongly, so as to keep its small farmers in business. A policy that costs the EU billions of Euros every year. Thailand is experiencing real world consequences of their 19th century agricultural policy, which far from being sustainable is the short cut to ruin for most rural families. Unfortunately for Thailand, living in the agricultural past is no longer an option in the 21st century, albeit that a very powerful but small minority would dearly wish that it could.

The government purchase of the rubber is not as good as they are making it out to be. I live in the south and my wife's family all have rubber trees. They said that this purchase was no good because they only allowed 100,000 baht to this area which is a main supplier of rubber. This means that each farmer can only sell and receive about 4000 baht. That small amount can not help anyone one person let alone a family. They told me they won't even bother wasting their time to do it because it is more paperwork involved for such a meager amount that they would get. My wife's family is not rich and they only have about 15 rai of rubber trees that I'd farmed. If such a small amount was allowed to this area where 70% of the farming is with rubber then how could this purchase scheme help.

So you are saying there are only 100,000 / 4000 = 25 . Only 25 farmers ? If true, then who cares !

So you are saying there are only 100,000 / 4000 = 25 . Only 25 farmers ? If true, then who cares !
Exactly why my wife's family will not be taking advantage of this so called generosity from the gov

Interesting, some were against largesses in rubber subsidies. It would seem they worried for nothing as this subsidy is just a token it would seem.

Token (in your view) or not, there is such a thing as setting principles. You do know what a principle is? Sorry, stupid question.

Interesting, some were against largesses in rubber subsidies. It would seem they worried for nothing as this subsidy is just a token it would seem.

Token (in your view) or not, there is such a thing as setting principles. You do know what a principle is? Sorry, stupid question.

Do you know what insulting insinuations are? Sorry, stupid question.

So, subsidy set. Seen to be helping without spending too much as some here surely will applaud.

Do you know what insulting insinuations are? Sorry, stupid question.

So, subsidy set. Seen to be helping without spending too much as some here surely will applaud.

There is no reasonable expectation that this rubber buying program, as presently defined, will have any significant positive impact.

It is a dumb idea, because it cannot possibly affect the global market price for rubber.

Is is an ineffective idea, because it represents a 10 baht/kg subsidy for only 2.3% of the annual crop. The beneficiaries will be few, or disappointed, or both.