Phuket police arrest Bulgarian card skimmer

webfact

This is where getting tough or completely stopping visa runs has my vote. 30 days then thats it unless you NEED or HAVE A REASON to be here. These skimmers stay here simply by skimming cards from everyday people as a means of survival here. In most cases no job, no real reason to be here other than its better than the shit they left and they don't care who the victims are. My card was skimmed last year, I contacted the bank and money was back in my account along with a new card within 48 hours. Never found out if they ever caught the person/people responsible.

"30 days then thats it unless you NEED or HAVE A REASON to be here." - how does that stop skimmers from skimming here, during their 30 day stay?

Skimmers could come here, use the ATM's with skimmed cards. have a holiday, and fly home with the money, or move on to the next country.

I totally agree with you. It wouldn't stop the skimming, but it would sure as hell would get rid of all the scum trying to stay here.

I always go inside the bank to withdraw cash. Might take a little bit longer but its safe !! Also its a good way to get to know the staff in case you need their assistance in the future.

Also a good way for staff to get to know you, and how much you have withdrawn.

over 30yrs.of bank accs.in thailand i have never had a card.

the bloke should be skimmed alive.

That's great, but that also means you haven't had the convenience of access to your money 24/7, but each to their own.

All I am saying is, if you regularly go to the same branch, at around the same time, every week / month, and withdraw a large amount of cash, you run the risk if this information is sold on to criminals.

An idea would be to rotate branches, and the times and dates of large withdrawals.

I wish the Kasikorn bank had been as vigilant when my Kasikorn ATM card was cloned and 50,000 baht withdrawn ... When I talked to the bank they were not the least bit interested and neither was the Chalong police.

Glad this skimmer is off the streets - until he buys his way out ...

I have a Kasikorn bank account. I don't, however, have a Kasikorn card, nor an SCB one. Always getting skimmed. I DO have a chipped BB card though. With all the rubbish coming from the dreg nations of the world skimming here now (quality tourism), I'd never use an unchipped one.

Edited by dageurreotype

This is where getting tough or completely stopping visa runs has my vote. 30 days then thats it unless you NEED or HAVE A REASON to be here. These skimmers stay here simply by skimming cards from everyday people as a means of survival here. In most cases no job, no real reason to be here other than its better than the shit they left and they don't care who the victims are. My card was skimmed last year, I contacted the bank and money was back in my account along with a new card within 48 hours. Never found out if they ever caught the person/people responsible.

"30 days then thats it unless you NEED or HAVE A REASON to be here." - how does that stop skimmers from skimming here, during their 30 day stay?

Skimmers could come here, use the ATM's with skimmed cards. have a holiday, and fly home with the money, or move on to the next country.

I totally agree with you. It wouldn't stop the skimming, but it would sure as hell would get rid of all the scum trying to stay here.

Would the "scum" you are talking about be people under 50 who can't get a retirement visa yet? That kind of "scum"?

Why don't you just make a post about how you hate young and middle-aged people, since this appears to be the real issue here.

Would the "scum" you are talking about be people under 50 who can't get a retirement visa yet? That kind of "scum"?

Why don't you just make a post about how you hate young and middle-aged people, since this appears to be the real issue here.

The boys used the word "scum" once, during their discussion about possible ways of dealing with these types of thieves..... I hope he does time here, in Thailand, were he was caught stealing money from others.

Also, if they are in overstay, that means they are here illegally, whilst they steal money from others.

You used the word "scum"' twice the amount that they used it... So why the comment about hating young people, or middle aged... I simply cannot see how the real issue is as you describe.

The real issue IMHO, is that these people are committing crimes, and as everyone has a bank account, most of us are vulnerable to these thieves... And shortening our exposure time to these thieves, is one way of dealing with them..

Personally, I would prefer to see them gone, sooner than later, to protect my hard life's work in making the money to enable me to stay here..... Verses stealing the money from others

Edited by farcanell

The boys used the word "scum" once, during their discussion about possible ways of dealing with these types of thieves..... I hope he does time here, in Thailand, were he was caught stealing money from others.

Also, if they are in overstay, that means they are here illegally, whilst they steal money from others.

You used the word "scum"' twice the amount that they used it... So why the comment about hating young people, or middle aged... I simply cannot see how the real issue is as you describe.

The real issue IMHO, is that these people are committing crimes, and as everyone has a bank account, most of us are vulnerable to these thieves... And shortening our exposure time to these thieves, is one way of dealing with them..

Personally, I would prefer to see them gone, sooner than later, to protect my hard life's work in making the money to enable me to stay here..... Verses stealing the money from others

He said he wanted to get rid of all the scum trying to stay for more than 30 days, who didn't have a need or a reason to be in Thailand.

Presumably this includes people on 3 month tourist visas.

Edited by nkg

I always go inside the bank to withdraw cash. Might take a little bit longer but its safe !! Also its a good way to get to know the staff in case you need their assistance in the future.

Also a good way for staff to get to know you, and how much you have withdrawn.

Always the negative NKM ....

But it was a valid point. Many Thailand robberies are inside jobs.

He said he wanted to get rid of all the scum trying to stay for more than 30 days, who didn't have a need or a reason to be in Thailand.

Ah.... I did not pick up on that sentiment, now your post makes a little more sense.... I figured the meaning was for illegal overstays.... Thanks for replying. ?

Ah.... I did not pick up on that sentiment, now your post makes a little more sense.... I figured the meaning was for illegal overstays.... Thanks for replying. ?

I didn't make myself very clear the first time around.

Whenever there is a crackdown on tourist visas and VOAs, there will be a huge thread in the visa forum. A large percentage of the posts are of the "good riddance" variety, and not coincidentally they are usually made by people on marriage or retirement visas who aren't affected.

The lack of camraderie between fellow expats on this forum is something I can't explain.

Edited by nkg

I didn't make myself very clear the first time around.

Whenever there is a crackdown on tourist visas and VOAs, there will be a huge thread in the visa forum. A large percentage of the posts are of the "good riddance" variety, and not coincidentally they are usually made by people on marriage or retirement visas who aren't affected.

The lack of camraderie between fellow expats on this forum is something I can't explain.

My fault, I should have been more clear. It could have been read different ways. I was referring to those doing the wrong thing here and yes, overstayers are included in that. Was definitely not a crack at young or middle age as I too fit into that category :-)