Any Amateur Astronomers Out There?

too true

Anyone know if we'll be able to see the Orioinid meteor shower here in Thailand? It's supposed to peak on the 22nd of this month, I think. :o

I'm also looking for websites that will post information on other celestial events that we can see from here. Any info would be much appreciated, as I'm having difficulty finding information that is of any help outside of the American latitudes and I need to do a few observations for a course I'm taking.

Big big thanks to anyone who can help me out here. :D

Cheers,

TT

Halley's tail. May be a bit of a let down with the moon getting brighter every night together with the sheer amount of dust and moisture in Muang Thai's atmosphere.

That's what I was afraid of. Perhaps better to wait until November or December when the skies are a bit drier and clearer.... I'm finding it quite challenging trying to astronomy labs when I've probably only seen the moon 3 times in the past month.

Note to self: never take another astronomy course during the rainy season. :o:D

Does anyone know of a local shop or dealer that sells Bushnell or Celestron brand telescopes? Had an entry level Bushnell (no idea what power) back in Texas as a kid, was thinking it'd be good to have one here as well for the kids (ehm, and adults too). Google doesn't seem to have any links and I can't recall coming across a telescope shop.

:o

Does anyone know of a local shop or dealer that sells Bushnell or Celestron brand telescopes? Had an entry level Bushnell (no idea what power) back in Texas as a kid, was thinking it'd be good to have one here as well for the kids (ehm, and adults too). Google doesn't seem to have any links and I can't recall coming across a telescope shop.

Have you seen this thread? The information's a bit old, but maybe the places are still in operation.

Suksapan sells at least some kind of telescope- don't know what kind of quality you'd be getting, though.

if you miss the orionids , then hang on to november when the taurid meteor shower will peak early in the month.

later in the month the leonods , radiating from leo , will peak around the 17th.

are there any observatories in thailand ? that allow the public to view.

i know there used to be a planetarium in bangkok , but i dont know if it is still open.

Supposed to be building one of South East Asia's largest observatories on top of Doi Inthanon in Chiang Mai province but don't know if it has come about. Would be the best place in Thailand for one, being the country's highest peak.

if you miss the orionids , then hang on to november when the taurid meteor shower will peak early in the month.

later in the month the leonods , radiating from leo , will peak around the 17th.

are there any observatories in thailand ? that allow the public to view.

i know there used to be a planetarium in bangkok , but i dont know if it is still open.

Missed the Orionids, but am going to plan on catching the Leonids in mid November. Have thought about checking out the observatory at Doi Inthanon, but with that 400 baht entrance fee, I'll have to get a copy of my work permit, which remains tightly in the hands of my employer (good thing, too, as there seems to be something like a black hole in my living room that sucks all important papers into another dimension :o )

the orionid showers are not over yet.

if you have clear skies , and you live in an area without too much light pollution , then you should catch some activity.

2 night ago , there were shooting stars every couple of minutes around 1 a.m.

as the earth passes through remnants of comets , these remnants enter the atmosphere and burn up. the orionids come from halleys comet.

just look up and slightly to the east , if you are familiar with the stars , then look for orion , where the shooting stars will come from. blink and you will miss them . they only last a second or so.