90 Day Reporting gets Failing Grade in Chiang Mai

Did my 90-day Phuket in less than 5 mins. This is the third one in a row with no problems at all. The key is to use Internet Explorer, read the and check off the first page, then enter the data using the popup calendars where they are available. Fill in only the red-star items.

I have tried thee online reporting in Bangkok several times and it has never worked. I get right to the end where it has a number you have to put in then I press submit and I get the message "you must input the number displayed" which I have and has received the verified sign.

For my last 90 day, which was just a couple of weeks ago, I got to Promanada at 4:30. There were 3 other people there, and I was 1st in line for 90 day. Okay, so I sat there for 4 hours, pretty much sleeping or drinking coffee, till they opened at 8:30. They didn't call any numbers till 9:00, but once they did, I was out in 3-4 minutes. Now my 1 year Retirement Extension is due next week, so I'll do it all over again. Hey, I'm retired, which means I don't have anything pressing, so what the hell. It's no big deal to me.

The new(ish) immigration office at Hua Hin seems to have really got its act together. My recent 90 day took less than 5 minutes, after a 20 minute wait in a queue for my ticket number. That was a little longer than usual, but perfectly acceptable. When I did my last my retirement extension, in August 2015, I was in and out in less than that. Keep up the good work Hua Hin immigration.

Part of the problem with CM is that they are basically still running with the same number of staff, while the foreigner population has exploded here as more and more people move here to live & work. They need a bigger office, or yet another one, and to at least double the size of staff. I spoke to one Imm Officer in CM about this, and she told me they have no real control over it, and that BKK dictates what they can and can not have/do. I know a couple of years ago they were saying they were going to get a new office at the Government House location. Twice the size and twice the personnel, but later that was killed. So, bottom line is that we each deal with it in our own ways, and hope the situation improves in the not too distant future.

Chiang mai has become very very popular , not just expat but Chinese they can and do drive direct from china. All the blue plates with White letters are Chinese , steering wheel is on the other side. think about it a extra 100,000 Chinese in chiang mai would cause Chaos in traffic , housing , immigration and on and on. I am Not talking about tourist but long stay ,in my MOO Baan in the last year 5 Chinese families have moved . in my sons school this year 40 new Chinese families have come in. Chinese love Chiang Mai not that interested in the south ,Not big beach lovers , god forbid they get a little red or a Tan they would commit suicide. What you are seeing is the beginning of a LONG term trend of the Chinese setting up in the North. land prices ,condo construction is out of control because of Chinese demand.

20 minutes in/out 90-day report yesterday in Pattaya...maybe there's a message in there for you biggrin.png

Yes there is a message and yes we are. You know what I mean. When I read what the poster states I really feel we are being robbed of any dignity we have left at our advanced age. Anyone reporting 90 days in person needs to get a lesson in mailing it in. Even the mails are taking 2 weeks or more to get your slip returned its a nightmare that looks like it will never end and only get worse. When you have no vehicle and go by taxi its taxing to say the least especially paying back and forth back and forth and possibly going back the next day for your "signed" passport. Yes a box outside the door would be a smart move but nothing really makes any sense here anymore. Why not jack up the price of the annual visa extension to 2500 bahts or 3,000 and streamline the system to handle the excessive amount (and climbing) of people applying. We are seemingly being forced to use the "visa" agents with no alternatives. We are being herded into a huge funnel.

But we are "guests" in this country, are we not? Of course we are, we should just accept all the inconveniences we get put through at Immigration etc,

and be grateful we are allowed to live here.

Without reading the thread, I can probably guess that I'm echoing numerous other posters by saying, "Why the hell aren't you mailing your 90 report to CM Immigration. If you truly live here, and are not using the mail-in option, then you are simply clogging up the already over-crowded queue lines at the Promenade. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

20 minutes in/out 90-day report yesterday in Pattaya...maybe there's a message in there for you biggrin.png

Yes there is a message and yes we are. You know what I mean. When I read what the poster states I really feel we are being robbed of any dignity we have left at our advanced age. Anyone reporting 90 days in person needs to get a lesson in mailing it in. Even the mails are taking 2 weeks or more to get your slip returned its a nightmare that looks like it will never end and only get worse. When you have no vehicle and go by taxi its taxing to say the least especially paying back and forth back and forth and possibly going back the next day for your "signed" passport. Yes a box outside the door would be a smart move but nothing really makes any sense here anymore. Why not jack up the price of the annual visa extension to 2500 bahts or 3,000 and streamline the system to handle the excessive amount (and climbing) of people applying. We are seemingly being forced to use the "visa" agents with no alternatives. We are being herded into a huge funnel.

But we are "guests" in this country, are we not? Of course we are, we should just accept all the inconveniences we get put through at Immigration etc,

But we are "guests" in this country, are we not?

I stopped buying into that BS a long time ago. I support a family here in Thailand. I don't feel like a guest. I feel like a tax paying contributor to Thai society and their economy. But, feel free to place yourself into the category of a second class, foreign 'guest'. I don't.

• Like 2

If we look at it from a positive point of view (I try to be more optimistic these days): something first has to get really bad before it gets better I think.

Maybe CM will be one of those offices that in a couple of months (years) will be the quickest and most efficient in the country.

The Earth will freeze over and humanity will be extinct before that happens.

But we are "guests" in this country, are we not?

I stopped buying into that BS a long time ago. I support a family here in Thailand. I don't feel like a guest. I feel like a tax paying contributor to Thai society and their economy. But, feel free to place yourself into the category of a second class, foreign 'guest'. I don't.

Neither do I mate, I was just being sarcastic.

• Like 1

If we look at it from a positive point of view (I try to be more optimistic these days): something first has to get really bad before it gets better I think.

Maybe CM will be one of those offices that in a couple of months (years) will be the quickest and most efficient in the country.

You may be correct, and we can hope so. There has definitely been a recent work slowdown on 90 day reporting at Promenade. For the past several years, I've gone in at around 2-2:30PM on a Tue/Wed/Thusday, gotten a queue number, and been seen typically in less than an hour. True at the old location, and true at Promenade, up until my visit there a couple of weeks back. I had to return two additional times simply because I was unaccustomed to the queue being full by 10AM.

In the past, there have been three people working on 90 day reporting and I believe I remember seeing two computer terminals at Promenade some four months ago. Now there are two people working the task, with one computer screen. And it takes both people to process each 90 reporting event. The workers also seem to be "pacing themselves" to a greater degree. As if each 90 day reporting event will take exactly four minutes, no matter what?

I've no idea of the reasons behind any of this, and my "pacing" observation may not be correct. But there clearly has been a work slowdown, and so there must be motivating factors on the part of management. Maybe someone quit, and they're looking for a replacement. Maybe they repurposed a computer terminal, or they're waiting for it to be repaired. Or maybe it's just as JoeW states above: "something first has to get really bad before it gets better." Maybe it will get better? It hasn't appeared to yet, but maybe someday.

It is what it is.

• Like 1

"I really don't mind showing my face every 90 days"

Apparently the Immigration boys in CM do

My last 2 reports were no more than 5 minutes each in Phuket. Tried everything to get online version to work to no avail.

P.S. Going early and waiting on line is for suckers. I go have a nice breakfast and stroll in at about 10:45 and I am usually the only guy there who isn't paid to be.

Edited by csabo

I lived in Chiangmai until a few tears ago and 90 day took less than 5 minutes and a retirement visa about 20. The present crowd are not tourists so must be on long time visa extensions. So Chiangmai must be coming a very popular place for retirees. I guess a lot are relocating from Phuket and Pattaya?

Well the numbers are still there in Pattaya but we are processed more efficiently.

The place is mostly filled with short term extensions.

Are there any plans in CM to increase the size of the immigration services?

Complaining on Thai visa won't change anything, unfortunately. Has anybody actually tried complaining directly and very politely (in writing) to whomever runs the Chiang Mai office - or getting your own Embassy in Thailand to intervene in what appears to be (to someone who is fortunate enough not to live in CM) a pretty intolerable situation.

I fully realise we are only guests here and fully understand why expats are reluctant to pop their heads over the parapet, but the alternative to kicking this issue upstairs doesn't sound very attractive. The words put up or shut up inevitably come to mind.

If the immigration service is as poor as described in Chiang Mai then some focused action should be taken.

1. Investigative report undertaken and published by the local press.

2. Petition the Chiang Mai Provincial Governor.

3. Petition individual Ambassadors at the Embassies of those affected.

If improvement is sought then irrefutable evidence must be obtained and supported by a majority of the people affected.

It is important not to blame the Immigration Officers who, I am sure, do their best..

• Like 2

If the immigration service is as poor as described in Chiang Mai then some focused action should be taken.

1. Investigative report undertaken and published by the local press.

2. Petition the Chiang Mai Provincial Governor.

3. Petition individual Ambassadors at the Embassies of those affected.

If improvement is sought then irrefutable evidence must be obtained and supported by a majority of the people affected.

It is important not to blame the Immigration Officers who, I am sure, do their best..

Maybe, for whatever reason, Bangkok has underfunded Chiang Mai immigration putting immense strain on the resources there (or the local office blew their budget on new buildings or something). The officers there may have low morale and, accordingly, tend to work to rule.

Why is more funding not allocated to bring the service up to acceptable standards? I'm not sure, but writing about it on TV won't help. Maybe something like the above post has to happen with concrete examples of waiting times etc. Nobody is blaming the local staff, but clearly the resources aren't getting to the front line.

Edited by Stevemercer
  • Like 1

of course they do that's why you have to pay them! same as the other sending reports via post but that's free, they all make the queues longer!

Mailing in your 90 day report does not "make the queues longer". The mailed reports are processed at the Airport Immigration office.....the in-person queue is located at Promenada.

To answer your question about the location of the visa agents, of the three most popular - one is located in the Nimman area, one is in the Chiang Mai Land area, and one is at Promenada.

Edited by TheAppletons
  • Like 2

Thank you so much The Appletons,

Don't suppose you know the name or the address of the one is Nimman area?

Ta

of course they do that's why you have to pay them! same as the other sending reports via post but that's free, they all make the queues longer!

Mailing in your 90 day report does not "make the queues longer". The mailed reports are processed at the Airport Immigration office.....the in-person queue is located at Promenada.

To answer your question about the location of the visa agents, of the three most popular - one is located in the Nimman area, one is in the Chiang Mai Land area, and one is at Promenada.

Thank you so much The Appletons,

Don't suppose you know the name or the address of the one is Nimman area?

Ta

OS Thai Visa is in the Nimman area. Google that name and you'll find a phone number and email. I think it's on Nimman soi 9.

Krabi Immigration - 90 day report in person - 30 to 60 seconds ... But we're here in mid south Thailand two hours + away from Phuket ... 8 degrees above the equator - no cold days but a little cool weather every now and then - a day or two ... but lots of rain from April to December... Smoke for a few weeks from Indonesia. Sea Storms sometimes.. .All in all - A GRAND PLACE TO LIVE... Because we have plenty of Western Tourists -- the variety of Western Style restaurant is quite ample. Ao Nang is an EASY PLACE TO LIVE... Ao Nang is NOT a party - hardy town ... except for a few places that the younger set goes to. Cheap rent --- at least low cost rent -- after a few months of learning the ropes. Condos - Yes ... plenty of choices - that is if you want to live in a box in such a lovely place. Lots of beaches, lovely drives into the hither land, Did I say AO NANG WAS EASY? And Yes -- there are many types of Thai ladies here... they come from all over Thailand...

But - you can stand in line for your 90 report or ... spend a minute doing it - then on to lunch at a nice place... or tend to a little shopping... Ao Nang, Krabi - it is a dark and dirty job - but somebody has to do it .... :) ..... 555

So I've been doing this a while now, and previous years reporting was pretty uneventful... the last few times, it has gotten downright aggravating.

Today I arrived a full hour before opening time (Promenada), and the queue already stood at over 150 with several hours wait time. I spoke with a couple of expats who said they arrived at 5:45AM and were still about 20th in line.

After more than an hour after opening the doors, I was told the queue for processing 90 day reporting was full for today, and to return tomorrow... I said huh, wt-hey?

Fortunately, I have two more days before I'm considered overstaying... guess I'll try again tomorrow!

I really don't mind showing my face every 90 days, if that's the law... but GEEZ, put in place sufficient processes and procedures to accommodate the demand.

One suggestion... I was just 3 days late to take advantage of the on-line process... put a "Drop Box" at immigration; for documents and return envelope, and then complete the process when immigration personnel have time.

Here's a pic of the sign they placed after the queue for today was full...

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1453275698.419227.jpg

Just a quick update on 90 day reporting in person at Chiang Mai.

Arrived at 6am, partly due to reading this tread. I was 2nd in the queue. By 7am there was maybe 20 people queued. I had other things to do, so when I left at approximately 11.45 I checked out of interest and they had issued 115 tickets for 90 day reports out of a maximum 180. So anyone turning up in the afternoon would have probably not had a long wait.

So clearly not all days are horrendously busy. It's just the luck of the draw.

• 2 weeks later...

On 15 Feb, I arrived at P. Imm. at 10:30:

- no line out front

- received ticket 103 for 90 day reporting and was told to come back at 1 pm

- explored the mall and had a nice lunch at Duke's

- returned to Imm. at 12:58 and was let into main room

- my number, along with 101, 102, 104, 105 was called at 1 pm

- waited at desk for about 10 minutes as they seemed to multitask to process two or three at a time

- on my way home by 1:15pm

I'm a happy camper!

• Like 1