I've let some kind of virus in, how do I get rid of it?

giddyup

I was disappointed to learn it was a computer virus you speak of...I had conjured up a scenario where after visiting some sleazy karaoke club...you contracted a big nasty...glad to hear you are fine...

Anti-virus programmes aren't necessarily much good at detecting adware and spyware pests (which is what this most certainly is). They can be fairly easy to pick up on some websites, although luckily I've never known any to escape Malwarebytes. The paid version includes real-time protection, but the only problem with that is it's another thing constantly running in the background and consuming processing power on more modest machines.

Edited by GrahamAW

First of all, reboot into Safe Mode and run those programs again. If that doesn't fix it you should give Combofix a go;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

This has saved me a lot of time when I've had trouble cleaning out other people's computers with the same type of infection.

Good luck.

I was going through responses looking for this. Reboot in SAFE mode. Restart computer and you can variously press F8 until a option screen presents. Select Safe Mode with Networking. When you do this virtually nothing starts except the core system and the network card. Everything will appear bigger because no display driver loads. By doing this you can better tackle problems that are also not loaded.

Do not run a scan from a local security software yet. Go online from safe mode and search online virus scanner. Scan from outside first with Avast, Housecall, etc. Run this and follow instructions. Then, follow the remainder of advice you have been given, or what now works for you.

When you are please look for the keyboard button with the windows icon on lower left, and press this and R at same time.

Then type cmd

then type sfc /scannow

You can google what that last command does. It ensures system file integrity.

Personally I've run Zone Alarm for some 8 years,never had a problem,it's free works fine updates regularly.

Couple it with Sandboxie.

Sandboxie uses isolation technology to separate programs from your underlying operating system preventing unwanted changes from happening to your personal data, programs and applications that rest safely on your hard drive.

Links for your information below.

https://www.zonealarm.com/

http://www.sandboxie.com

Sounds like the same one I picked up yesterday trying to download a movie torrent. System restore didn't clear it and a virus scan found nothing (using Avast). I use Chrome and it looked to me like it was infecting the browser so I uninstalled it and tried to do a fresh install which failed each time I tried.

Resorted to my trusty time honoured system of using Acronis to wipe my drive and re-install the saved image which I back up frequently. Took about 20 minutes and works every time I have a computer problem.

The OP only mentioned one site that this happens on (TV Internet)

It could be that there are no viruses but that the websites in question are opening ads themselves.

My computers all run on Linux and so I have no issue with viruses, however some sites such as kickass.to open new browser tabs with ads for Alibaba and other sites.

OP, I can offer more help if you can be more specific about what sites this is happening on. ie, I can test if those sites open ads for me or not.

I just mentioned TV (Thai Visa) as an example, it could be Ebay or any of my saved sites, or opening a new page. Not happening at present since I installed Malwarebytes.

I doubt it`s a virus or spyware.

You have probably tried to install something or gone on to a website that has added a rouge site to your browser. Go into your browser settings and see if there is anything there that wasn`t there before and delete it and check that your home page has not been changed. Also check your add/removes programmes and check what`s in there.

is it a free AVG ? I had that on my computer useless, I had to buy a proper anti virus now no problems

Ive used it for MANY years actually when it first came out. My company also used it because of its great performance. Its been one of the top rated also since it first came out.

Its definitely not useless.

Id be honestly curious to know why you think it is though.

I have used AGV free version for years also.

And never had a problem

A lot of these viruses and malware tend to prevent you running any anti-virus software you have already loaded, or even prevent you from downloading any new anti-virus software. So it can get a little frustrating and those without any tech knowledge may do more harm than good when fiddling around in Safe mode etc. One thing I have used a few times is called RKill. Seems to do the trick when the above problems arise and once it has cleared the issues, you can then generally run your normal anti-virus software to help clean things up. RKill is free and there is plenty of info on it if you just Google it. For a paid virus protection software I use ESET Smart Security and never really had a problem since installing it. Cheers.

Did a search on RKill and found this page: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/308364/rkill-what-it-does-and-what-it-doesnt-a-brief-introduction-to-the-program/

Ran the RKill software and it didn't find anything so tried the Dr.Web CureIt that the page recommends and it found 6 items. Cleaned them right up for me. This page also recommends 3 other programs so I might try them.

Warning: DON"T try EShield!! It will take over your browsers.