Rough Areas/slum Areas,rich Areas

billyboy

I dont stay in Bangkok much,usually I just get off my flight and jump into a cab and head to Pattaya,but im starting to get bored with that and thinking of Bangkok visit this time.

Im gonna hire a day time gay tour guide for 1500 b a day 9am to 6pm on www.thaiboy.net .

Im just looking at some advice,I want to try to fit everything into one day,and i would like to visit rougher/slum type of areas and wealthier suburbs in Bangkok.

I heard this area called KLONG TOEY is a rough slum area ?

Can I walk around there during the day with no problems?

I remember taking a guy once to Bangkok where i wanted to look at the Bang Kwang prison and he kept trying to tell me something in English which he couldnt remember how to say then he finally said nervously when we were outside the prison, "We not stay,I think we get wobbed",I couldnt stop laughing,the area seemed to be ok to me,is that area considered bad,the area outside Bang Kwang I mean.What about KLONG TOEY?

I want to go to residential wealthier areas too.Do they live differently ?

I will have a tour guide with me ,but im hoping i can still walk around during the day in the lower class areas.If anyone thinks thats strange,I would say to you being a Aussie and a Sydney resident that I wouldnt walk around the Sydney suburb of Redfern opposite the railway station even during the day,so please dont think its a strange question.

Also just one other quick question,I want to go to the markets where they sell handbags etc ,are they open on weekdays or is it best on a saturday/sunday and where is that market where there are snakes etc?

Edited by billyboy

:D I think that you are a tad odd. Why would anyone want to go and view the misery of others? :D I quite often visit the Mercy Centre in Khlong Toey and would not even consider wandering down the tiny little soi's opposite. This is people's lives, not a peep show :o . As for the richer HI-So end of the property market, again I wouldn't even know which areas are that. Around where we live for example there are several Moobahns where the rent exceeds 200k a month.

I have to agree you don't want to be walking (as they are too narrow to drive, some you cannot even get to on a motorcycle) down the sub-sub-sub soi of any slum area. The rich live behind high walls and private security. There are no areas like Bel-Aire or Beverly Hills where you can drive along see mansions from the street. Often in Bangkok, the mansions are on the same street as the slum.

Take a long tail boat tour of the klongs.

TH