Water testing

SCARLETIBIS1

So I spent a few days in the hospital for acute infectious diarrhea last week and am thinking possibly due to brushing teeth with the water from the faucet. I noticed if I don't clean the sink for a few days it turns black from the water. Does anyone know where the water could be tested?

Second, does the landlord have any obligation for safe water or at least water up to a certain standard? Thanks all

A few more details please? house, condo .City water from PWA or private supply, good water should not stain your sink, but also is no indication it is germ ridden.

The PWA tests water as does CMU, not cheap though.It is not the labour costs but the cost of reagents used.

You have 300+ posts. When you get to 1000+ posts, you'll find that you've developed a certain amount of resistance to the local bacteria. My first couple of years here were, uncomfortable. Now? I can probably drink the village water without problems. I routinely rinse with it and I've had no problems in the last few year. Westerners. We have no immunity to the bacteria that most third-worlders consider normal. Blame your parents and your overly-paranoid cleanliness cultures in your home country.

Edited by connda

We went to CMU once a number of years ago to get our water tested. We had a number of strange things happen at home that we believe was attributed to the water. They tested for everything under the sun. The cost was about 6K Baht. I forget all the details now but there were not alarming levels of cyanide or arsenic or anything like that.

You have 300+ posts. When you get to 1000+ posts, you'll find that you've developed a certain amount of resistance to the local bacteria. My first couple of years here were, uncomfortable. Now? I can probably drink the village water without problems. I routinely rinse with it and I've had no problems in the last few year. Westerners. We have no immunity to the bacteria that most third-worlders consider normal. Blame your parents and your overly-paranoid cleanliness cultures in your home country.

It has nothing to do with posts or how your parents raised you.There is a pretty nasty water borne bug called

Cryptosporidium

You cannot build up resistance to it please do some more reading up before you make such generalised statements.Though you are correct in saying our resistance to some more common bugs is low due to under exposure at an early age,and during our adolescent years.Water born diseases rank highly in the worlds list of killers mainly in third world countries..

Regards

It has nothing to do with posts or how your parents raised you.There is a pretty nasty water borne bug called

Cryptosporidium

You cannot build up resistance to it please do some more reading up before you make such generalised statements.Though you are correct in saying our resistance to some more common bugs is low due to under exposure at an early age,and during our adolescent years.Water born diseases rank highly in the worlds list of killers mainly in third world countries..

Regards

Isn't the tap water treated in Thailand to WHO minimum standards.

Water borne diseases and there are many vine from untreated, stagnant water.

Is your tap water supplied via a tank or mains,? you can tell by the pressure.

Tanks can be dirty and have dead spots.

It's more likely from some food you've eaten, been to any street food places?

Sent from my mobile, please forgive the autocorrect!

If it`s well water, it appears that it`s not filtered. If it`s tap water the dirt could be coming from the pipe system.

We have the government water supply here on meter, guaranteed all water is passed by the management. Although our tap water is clear, I would never dream of using that to clean my teeth, that`s plain stupid in Thailand. I always use drinking water to brush my teeth and rinse my mouth afterwards. In Thailand tap or well water is only suitable for external use, showering, washing, cleaning dishes and household cleaning.

If it`s well water, it appears that it`s not filtered. If it`s tap water the dirt could be coming from the pipe system.

We have the government water supply here on meter, guaranteed all water is passed by the management. Although our tap water is clear, I would never dream of using that to clean my teeth, that`s plain stupid in Thailand. I always use drinking water to brush my teeth and rinse my mouth afterwards. In Thailand tap or well water is only suitable for external use, showering, washing, cleaning dishes and household cleaning.

Another statement without any proof, to back up your claims.

Cheaper and easier to buy a simple above bench 3 stage filter ~ 1900 baht for sediment/carbon/ceramic which will remove 99% of all nasties and make the water taste beautiful.

As others have suggested, water quality depends on location as to where your water is sourced, treated and or stored.

Dear Ibis,

Use drinking water to brush your teeth, bottled or well filtered.

Testing is expensive then the whole house filtering costs high, then repeatedly testing in the future and maintaining the filter. Filter for only drinking water is fine and cost effective.

You are in dream world if you think your landlord is going to guarantee some level of water quality unless you are paying over100,000 Baht per month rent.

re

Does anyone know where the water could be tested?

here ya go :)

go up suthep road and the public health department building is on the right

just before nimenhemen road

dave2

ps ... 6 thousand baht for testing a water sample ... yeah right :)

post-42592-0-39544200-1453433155_thumb.j

post-42592-0-40114000-1453433189_thumb.j

post-42592-0-14722600-1453433212_thumb.p

Lanna Water on Changpruek Rd across from the uni walkway can test the water for you and recommend the appropriate filtering.

oh as to your second question cheesy.gif That said I doubt you got your infection from brushing your teeth but I wouldn't want to be bathing in black water...good luck.

Edited by cloudhopper

Cryptosporidium

Regards

And there is Giardia and H. Pylori. Local bacteria?... you eventually develop a resistance to. Cryptosporidium, Giardia, h. pylori, not so much, especially the protozoa. But if you use local well water, I personally do due diligence and run it through a high-quality filter prior to drinking it. The locals drink our local well water right out of the tap. Me? I ain't that brave. Anything out of the well is dual filtered. But that 'generalize statement' is for the most part true for run-of-the-mill bacteria that third-worlders are use to, but causes a bout of fits (trots, runs) for the average Westerner. I took me two years to adapt. I have no problems now.

You have a point. I have a point. There's truth in both our perspectives.

Edited by connda

Lanna Water on Changpruek Rd across from the uni walkway can test the water for you and recommend the appropriate filtering.

oh as to your second question cheesy.gif That said I doubt you got your infection from brushing your teeth but I wouldn't want to be bathing in black water...good luck.

Cloudhopper,

Any idea on the pricing for water analysis? I'd be interested in the chemical (and bacteria) levels out of our local well. Living in a farming community, I know what the locals spray on the trees and put on the ground. I'd be interested in knowing how much of it leaches into the ground water.

None of the protizoa, bacteria, fungi, worms, germs, etc etc mentioned, survive boiling for 1 minute. If water only treated with chlorine or other chemicals, then use caution. And i also doubt rinsing mouth with tap water caused any gut problems, if water not drunk.

I buy drinking water from local machine, one baht per liter. I also boil all tap water for coffee or tea. I use tap water in rice cooker since it will boil the water.

Most likely street food or not washing your hands after the toilet sent some nasty into your life. You survived, so be grateful.

Cloudhopper,

Any idea on the pricing for water analysis? I'd be interested in the chemical (and bacteria) levels out of our local well. Living in a farming community, I know what the locals spray on the trees and put on the ground. I'd be interested in knowing how much of it leaches into the ground water.

Sorry no idea but probably more than you'd expect. I would think that the typical sand filter would make most water clean enough for bathing etc then feeding that into a small RO unit is the way to go for drinking water IMO.

Thanks for the irrelevant, useless, non answered reply, amusing as it was.

Cloudhopper,

Sorry no idea but probably more than you'd expect. I would think that the typical sand filter would make most water clean enough for bathing etc then feeding that into a small RO unit is the way to go for drinking water IMO.

Also get one with a UV lamp.

For what it is worth to all talking to several restaurant owners that I know, Salmonella seems to be rampant now in CM. I was told do not eat ANY meat.

Regarding the illness someone told me if I got a small dose it can take days to fester which it did when usually if food poisoning from the street you would get ill almost right away.

Anyway, thanks to all and be careful out there especially with the "plastic" covered eggs now being sold.