'Maintenance Fee' for All Foreign Tourists Proposed by Tourism Governor

webfact

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could understand if it was to cover basic medical treatment for the "Richard Heads" who do not bother with insurance...

But seeing that many attractions do charge, and often charge tourists double ...or even more, maybe they should tax all those businesses that profit from tourism extra.

The word maintenance is so wrong. Whatever the tax and it's intended use the fact that a simple word is used to highlight the fact that foreigners without any rights or privileges are expected to maintain a country's tourist assets. I don't even know why i should be bothered considering hidden taxes paid on anything and everything almost everywhere else. It's just the connotation. Maintenance......i pay enough fuxking maintenance, now I'm expectee to pay more maintenance just for the right to enter a country i want to spend my money. Grabbing and clasping money, against every buddhist sentiment proclaimed to be virtuous in thailand, the land of hands out.....

I thought that was what the entry/visa fee was for ?

Well this is a legalised state bar fine for the tourist that do not romp at the bars and throw money lavishly. It is to promote Thainess....smile while you get pinched...and we will maintain it for a tenner! what the heck ....thailand badly needs this money fast!

It is Thailand. They can do what they like, and if whining farangs don't like it, they are free to bugger off to where a more suitable place awaits. Thailand would do well to impose a "farang whining tax", that shoud raise a few satang from those who have no manners.

Fair-enuf" and a very poignant topic to air your opinion Mr Brindles!!

Tourist entry taxes are nothing new and I would support this if the money was put in the right projects in the right provinces - sadly building a bike path in Nakon Nowhere is a likely outcome.

Now if TAT really wanted to extol their Thianess they could make the tax applicable only to countries yielding the highest visitations (think of Indonesia singling out Australians while most of the world enters Bali and elsewhere in that country for free) But will TAT also boot the ASEAN sacred cow up the arse in charging this fee to the neighbours?

Policy involving foreigners really has to have some element of Xenophobia - otherwise it's not Policy!!

Let's see now: They just recently added a 'security fee' to airline tickets. They increased entry to tourist attractions/parks to 10x what Thais pay. They want to increase Visa on arrival entry from 1000 to 2000 Baht. Now this, what's the word I'm thinking of - oh yeah, greed. What's next, charge for air? smile.png

The next will probably be the establishment of the "Colin Vard Foundation" to attract those, who are willing to buy real estate in Thailand. The foundation will provide you with lawyers, professional bankers, government officials, who all are willing to support you in order to have you stay in Thailand, either on the street or may be in jail.

This will go nowhere just like so many other pronouncements that are made. I find the whole thing ridiculous to the max and the reaction the same. It is not that it is a great amount of money, it is the overriding principle coupled with double pricing; immigration over kill; scams; ATM fees that are higher than the West; and other sundry overcharging. The motto seems to be Greed is Good.

Good Lord.

I hope these whiners don't find out Thailand already tacks a 700 baht tax onto the price of an international ticket- and they have for years.

Just like almost every other country in the world.

My only criticism is that they even announced the increase. Had international airplane tickets just mysteriously gone up by $10 without the publicity, the collective TVF blood pressures would be down by a few million points.

From the very moment a tourist sets foot on this land he pays TAX ...its called VAT @ 7% yes i know on some items you can claim it back but NOT on the vast majority. Especially bar fines, night ladies fee, pre session dinners and alcohol oh also on temple visits plus you cant claim it back on tours, beach chairs , jet ski (additional fees) etc etc

Who remembers last years brain wave that went no where ...Tourist hospital Insurance

I think, it is enough "Abzocker"! Since 10 Years I make my 4-Weeks-Winter-Holidays in Thailand, I like golfing here. But since last times, the prices are to high: A good Hotel-Room same Price like in Europe. The Food in a Restaurant same Price like in EU (don't forget 10% Service and 7% Tax). The Traffic is unaccebtable. The Prices for Golf-Greenfees, CaddyFees and Carts are same same or higher than in EU. And every day the News about Crime and Cheating. For me is this enough. Next Winter I think, I go to Kenya again.

Ok Thailand, we get the message. You do not want tourists, you do not want retirees, you have made clear that you do not know how to run a tourist industry.

Take a break, take a bow, you have shown the world your GREED.... your corruption... your unsafe county... you have clearly made a point, we all get it...good luck with this.

THANK YOU.

I'm going to Vietnam this year and if it's even remotely more fun, better accommodations, nicer/friendly people, better beaches, cleaner air, better food, better beer, I can assure I will be spending more of my money there.

There is no doubt that Thai officials sit around a casio calculator and punch numbers into it and watch what pops up.

They've already whacked on 20 or so baht to every airticket , pocketing tens of millions of baht for doing nothing.

In a year or so they will find another excuse for adding 10 baht to the cost of a ticket......who will notice ?? Thai style.

Tourists aren't going to come here with an extra 360 baht to cover the latest Thai scam hence all that happens is billions of baht will be redirected from the tourist industry into the pockets of corrupt TAT officials.

The beaches will remain filthy, dangerous footpaths left unrepaired ,diseased cats and dogs everywhere and jetski thugs ripping off foreigners.

TAT officials will send their children to expensive foreign schools paid for by us.

With any luck this brainless idea wont get off the ground.

TIT

EXCELLENT POST Jalansan, I couldn't Hav said it better.

Let's all link hands and see if we can get in touch with the living. The guy that made the proposal must be from Mars. What about the surcharge foreigners pay at tourist attractions. More low level pond life in positions of authority.

How about they remove the corruption and make sure what's already paid actually goes into maintaining these parks, instead of going into the local officials pockets. I was at a few national parks last year and the maintenance was terrible. Not worth the money to enter the park.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/850757-phi-phi-park-chief-moved-amid-b30mn-national-park-fee-fraud-probe/

Phi Phi park chief moved amid B30mn national park fee fraud probe

There we go, do we need reminding how corrupt and lies ,an greed this country is

An yes I do live here, but sometimes I wonder why.

Tourists are easy targets for these government quasi scams...

Actually, the Thais should pay tourists for having to endure Thai government's constant tweaking and shuffling visa requirement and tourist attraction entrance fees...

The glitter of Thai tourism becomes dimmer each year...

Why not just mug the tourists as the leave the airport,this plus increase in Visa on arrival,

they are slowly killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

regards Worgeordie

"they are slowly killing the goose that lays the golden eggs."

And farang have been saying the same thing for decades. The "final nail in the coffin " comments from Kuhn farang are older than some of the posters who keep regurgitating them.

and yet tourist numbers typically keep increasing year on year.... how very odd!

It couldn't possibly be that some farang are not actually quite as smart as they like to think they are? Could it????

Yes you could definitely be right! There are those less than smart foreigners who believe the tourist stats. Does that cap fit?

It is Thailand. They can do what they like, and if whining farangs don't like it, they are free to bugger off to where a more suitable place awaits. Thailand would do well to impose a "farang whining tax", that shoud raise a few satang from those who have no manners.

Congratulations you've won the apologist of the week award. Your 360 baht tourist tax will be waived this week

Archived