Novotel & Meeting Passenger Mess-up

I made two trips to Savarnabhumi in one day. The first trip in the morning to meet someone who had overnighted at Novotel and was heading for greener pastures at mid-day. Then the second trip later that night past midnight at 1AM! To meet an arriving passenger (actually a Board member) from Taipei.

This time I took a taxi from downtown Bangkok to Suvarnabhumi directly to Novotel. No big problems. Although the taxi driver had never been to Novotel, I helped him spot the signs and turn-off places. I arrived early so I tried the Novotel buffet breakfast. It was OK. Not as good as Sheraton Grande, JW Marriott or Dusit Thani. But OK. Actually I think Novotel Siam Square has a better breakfast spread with a greater variety of breads and pastries. However I must say that the dishes and cutlery at Novetel Suvarnabhumi were much more stylish than the other hotels mentioned above. The lobby and ambiance is also quite impressive. They only need to improve the varity and quality of the food itself to be near top class. But granted I only tried breakfast.

I was disappointed to discover that unlike Amari Airport Hotel at Don Muang, there is no easy way to walk from Novotel to the Airport Terminal. The parking lots are located between the terminal and Novotel and at the moment there’s no way to walk it. But who knows? Maybe they will add it later. They need it.

Upon finishing my meeting I needed to get back to Bangkok. I went outside and stood there for a few minutes and then the Novotel doorman told me that Taxi’s rarely come there. It was necessary to take the Novotel shuttle bus to the Terminal and then take a taxi from there. OK maybe this is a minor problem but really it was not convenient for me and in comparison with Don Muang, a lot less efficient and a step backwards in regard to public taxi’s or connecting to the Terminal than the Amari Airport. Maybe this will improve later.

So I waited a few minutes until the shuttle bus had a load or it was time or whatever and rode with some departing passengers to the terminal.

This was about mid-day and taxis were still jamming up the parking area next to the terminal (departure floor) and the shuttle bus had to park near the outside curb. Although passengers in the shuttle bus were commenting negatively about the taxi jam up, it was no problem for me because I was only there to catch a taxi and jumped into one on the outside of the pack that had just unloaded passengers. The ride back into Bangkok was fine and dandy.

……….

Then later that day at midnight I took a taxi again to Suvarnabhumi, this time to meet my arriving VIP.

I knew his flight number and found it on the big multicolored board. I was on time. No problem I thought.

However I then realized that there were two doors for international arrivals! I myself had arrived at this airport three times already and didn’t realize there were two different international arrival doors! Actually there are three arrival doors; “A”, “B”, and “C”. “A’ is the domestic arrival door. Doors “B” and “C” are for international arrivals.

“Bloody hel_l” thought I, “how do I know which door my VIP will come thru?”

I did a walking tour and checked out both arrival doors. Again in Suvarnabhumi style, they are a hel_l of a long ways apart. And both of the are equally crowded and jammed up with touts and friends and family waiting for arriving passengers.

I did a quick mental analysis. At Don Muang there were two terminals. Suvarnabhumi has only one terminal. Granted it’s huge. However one terminal and two doors should be as easy as two terminals I thought. I looked again at the big multicolored board that changes from English to Thai too frequently. Aha!!! The board says my VIP flight’s passengers will be exiting from Door B. OK. How difficult could it be? Thought I.

There was no place to sit near the Door and a fair number of people were stretched out asleep in the chairs located on the arrival floor. I had some time so I went up one floor to look for some coffee. Many shops and food stands were closed already but Starbucks and Black Canyon were still opened. I chose Starbucks hopeful that Columbia would be the coffee of the day. But alas no luck with that and the coffee tasted burned. Starbucks prices at Suvarnabhumi are the same as downtown Bangkok. Starbucks apparently doesn’t increase their prices just because they are at an airport and have a captive audience(customers).

Back at Door “B”. My VIPs plane has arrived. He sends me an SMS message telling me he’s arrived. I answer him back telling him I’m waiting just outside for him. These messages are pricey because they are routed thru the USA. But whatever the SMS messages cost they are worth it for piece of mind and stress lowing. After all this is Suvarnabhumi and Amazing Thailand! (Actually I feel lucky that I received the SMS message because I have an AIS phone and I often get messages late. Then I wonder if my SMS message got thru to him.)

Then I wait and I wait and I wait. I think maybe I should check out Exit Door “” but the board still says he will exit thru Door “B”. And he could come out of Door “B” any moment. There are lots of other people waiting at Door “B” and looking nervous. Similar to the way I look I suppose.

I think of sending him another SMS. But then I think … I’ve arrived here three times myself and never knew there were two different exit doors. I don’t remember seeing anything from inside the arrival area about doors “B” or “C”. Probably if I told him I was at door “B” it wouldn’t make any sense to him. I think maybe his luggage is slowly arriving … similar to mine on all three incoming flights. I decided to wait another 15 minutes and then send him another SMS or ring him up. ###### the cost. He is after all a VIP.

15 minutes pass. I pull out my mobile. Then I hear him calling my name behind me. Guess what … he exited thru Door “C” and has spent the last 15 minutes trying to find me. I’m just glad he wasn’t pissed off and glad he didn’t take a limo or taxi into town without me.

I show him the board which says he will exit thru Door “B”. He is in a good mood and remarks … “Amazing Thailand”. He’s a VIP so of course we take a limo. Before on two ocassions I have taken what I thought were the cheapest limos at 1,100 baht and 900 baht. However this night I see they have a 700 baht limo. I ask for that one and see the photo and because it looks like an SUV I decide to not take my VIP to town in one of these and spring for the 900 baht limo. But still it’s nice to know there is a 700 baht limo (SUV type) if you ask for it.

As we walk out the door to the limo, I think about the other worried looking people and the two cute Thai girls apparently waiting for their tiraks …. all waiting at Door “B”. But alas my VIP is already in the limo and so I get in too and wonder how long those people will wait at the wrong door.

The drive into town was smooth and uneventful.

Do you know if there is any way to find out which door people will be exiting prior to getting to the airport? My parents arrive in December and maybe I could check in advance to see? I suppose I could ask at the airport on Sunday when we depart for Laos. :o

Thanks for that report.

How long did you have to wait for the Novotel shuttle bus? To me, taking a shuttle bus sounds easier than walking in the typical Thai heat, even if there was a walkway. When I visited the airport, I wanted to take a walk to visit the Novotel, but decided against it being there was no clear walkway. Had I known at that time there was a shuttle bus, I would have gone to check it out.

Ok, I realize you're talking about a taxi jam on arrivals rather than departure, but the taxi mess for departing passengers that was forever present at Don Muang was what they were trying to avoid at Suvarnabhumi by intially saying that everyone would need to take a shuttle bus for departing taxis. Seems you can never please everyone. Either you let the taxis in and create a traffic jam and inconvenience for everyone not taking a taxi, or you ban them and everyone that wants to take a taxi complains that it's so inconvenient to take a shuttle. There simply isn't enough room no matter what they do for everyone curbside and some sacrifices need to be made. Personally I'd prefer that they somehow restrict taxis, but I guess I'm in the minority.

Was that 700 Baht SUV an AOT limousine which can be booked at the AOT Limousine booth? Sounds good to me and will give that a shot next time I need a ride.

Either you let the taxis in and create a traffic jam and inconvenience for everyone not taking a taxi, or you ban them and everyone that wants to take a taxi complains that it's so inconvenient to take a shuttle. There simply isn't enough room no matter what they do for everyone curbside and some sacrifices need to be made.

I wonder if this problem exist in other major airports, is it solvable? Being the 21st century and all.

Was that 700 Baht SUV an AOT limousine which can be booked at the AOT Limousine booth? Sounds good to me and will give that a shot next time I need a ride.

What kind of SUV is it? Isuzu MU7? Lexus R300? Toyota Innova?

Novotel can be walked to easy. Go to ground floor level 1 cross the road and go down walkway at side of Car Parks cross the frontage road there and the hotel is less than 100 mtrs away from terminal behind Car Parks.

AOT control all Limos from the airport on Arrivals 700baht for SUV or 900 Car type into Bkk is the price. Cars waiting at roadside Arrivals AOT LIMO area. Taxis Level 1 ground floor.

Taxis at Departures will always be a mess dropping off and then hanging around to see if they can get a pick up off meter without having to go to the Transport Centre and register before queueing there and coming back when called for arrival passengers. A tip is to know your departure door for your airline and get Taxi to go there most are at far end of road but Thai Air and Domestic is doors 1-4.

Door B & C International exits are a problem I will look into that on Monday when I arrive back from Hong Kong.

Edited by Boxer

Either you let the taxis in and create a traffic jam and inconvenience for everyone not taking a taxi, or you ban them and everyone that wants to take a taxi complains that it's so inconvenient to take a shuttle. There simply isn't enough room no matter what they do for everyone curbside and some sacrifices need to be made.

I wonder if this problem exist in other major airports, is it solvable? Being the 21st century and all.

It typically doesn't exist in other major airports because in most cases taxis are very expensive and limited numbers of people use them. In Thailand taxis are so cheap so that huge numbers of people want to use them. There-in lies the problem. If a taxi was 5,000 Baht at BKK, as it would be in many places, I don't think anyone would be complaining about a couple dozen taxis at the airport for use by richer people or people travelling on business, while the common folk took buses.

Edited by Soju

Taxis in Singapore and Malaysia are fairly cheap, too.

Beside taxis, is there any other way to go to the city? Forget orange buses - they are not for passengers after long flights with luggage.

BKK is currently the 11th busiest airport in the world, while Changi is number 24. Source. By Malaysia, I assume you're referring to KL, which is well down on the list. So being BKK has more passengers, there will be more of a problem of how to get everyone from the airport to the city.

I recall the cost of a taxi in Singapore being roughly double that of Thailand. Still cheap by world standards but not as cheap as Thailand. Don't Changi and KLIA both have good rail mass transit options that a large number of passengers take?

Regarding buses, I was referring to dedicated airport limousine buses, which have dedicated storage for luggage, not normal city buses. Unfortunately, the price structure between taxis and airport buses is such that the airport buses seem to not be such a good value. So presently taxis or more expensive options (limos) are about the only viable options at BKK for many travellers. If the taxi prices were to double or quadruple, then the airport buses would be a much better value and be used much more extensively. Also once the rail link comes online, it will hopefully be convenient and cheap enough to attract a lot of the taxi customers.

Do you know if there is any way to find out which door people will be exiting prior to getting to the airport?
There is no way.

International passengers are free to choose through which door, B or C, they go out of the baggage claim area. I remember seeing a list indicating which airline unloads its baggage on which carousel, and what exit door is nearest to which carousel, but you cannot know whether your arriving passenger does indeed get his baggage on the carousel designated for his flight, or if he takes the nearest exit door.

The only way to be sure is to agree with the passenger in advance through which door he should get out.

--------------

Maestro

>>>How long did you have to wait for the Novotel shuttle bus?

I waited only aboujt 15 minutes for the shuttle bus

>>>>Was that 700 Baht SUV an AOT limousine which can be booked at the AOT Limousine booth? Sounds good to me and will give that a shot next time I need a ride.

Yes they have big advertising posters etc for the 700 baht limo. Frankly I don't know what it is. It isn't Toyota or Nissan. In the photo it looks like a double cab pickup with a covered pickup bed.

Do you know if there is any way to find out which door people will be exiting prior to getting to the airport?
There is no way.

International passengers are free to choose through which door, B or C, they go out of the baggage claim area. I remember seeing a list indicating which airline unloads its baggage on which carousel, and what exit door is nearest to which carousel, but you cannot know whether your arriving passenger does indeed get his baggage on the carousel designated for his flight, or if he takes the nearest exit door.

The only way to be sure is to agree with the passenger in advance through which door he should get out.

--------------

Maestro

I am normally fairly observant and I did not notice which door I was exiting from, or even that there were multiple options! Luckily Thai GF was in the same place as me waiting.. :o

Novotel can be walked to easy. Go to ground floor level 1 cross the road and go down walkway at side of Car Parks cross the frontage road there and the hotel is less than 100 mtrs away from terminal behind Car Parks.

AOT control all Limos from the airport on Arrivals 700baht for SUV or 900 Car type into Bkk is the price. Cars waiting at roadside Arrivals AOT LIMO area. Taxis Level 1 ground floor.

Taxis at Departures will always be a mess dropping off and then hanging around to see if they can get a pick up off meter without having to go to the Transport Centre and register before queueing there and coming back when called for arrival passengers. A tip is to know your departure door for your airline and get Taxi to go there most are at far end of road but Thai Air and Domestic is doors 1-4.

Door B & C International exits are a problem I will look into that on Monday when I arrive back from Hong Kong.

NOT east with a cart full of luggage, near impossible as there are no ramps and it is full of pot holes

Also as most of the way is not coverred, good luck in the mid-day sun or in the rain even without luggage.

The shuttle picks you up at the arrival floor level door 4 and is very regular and quick (although I prefer to be able to walk like we did at DM to the Amari)

Or for that matter, no way of knowing which exit is nearest the immigration booth a passenger with no checked luggage used. The luggage carousel has absolutely no bearing on these passengers.

Or for that matter, no way of knowing which exit is nearest the immigration booth a passenger with no checked luggage used. The luggage carousel has absolutely no bearing on these passengers.

Same problem in Incheon but there insteatd of 2 doors you have 5 to choose from !

NOT east with a cart full of luggage, near impossible as there are no ramps and it is full of pot holes

Also as most of the way is not coverred, good luck in the mid-day sun or in the rain even without luggage.

The shuttle picks you up at the arrival floor level door 4 and is very regular and quick (although I prefer to be able to walk like we did at DM to the Amari)

Has anyone used the underground 300 metre walkway to the Novotel ??? Details PLEASE

Has anyone used the underground 300 metre walkway to the Novotel ??? Details PLEASE

Underground Walkway Not open yet.

Underground walkway is going from the airport to the train station and is also linked to the hotel from the train station

As the station is not near to be ready we will have to wait and take the shuttle or walk in the heat/rain crossing the parking which is located between the terminal and the Novotel (impossible with a luggage cart)

Edited by Krub

I made two trips to Savarnabhumi in one day. The first trip in the morning to meet someone who had overnighted at Novotel and was heading for greener pastures at mid-day. Then the second trip later that night past midnight at 1AM! To meet an arriving passenger (actually a Board member) from Taipei.

The drive into town was smooth and uneventful.

Are you related to Stephen King?

I ask because it seems like you could have outlined much the same thing in about 1/4 of the space, and without repeating Amazing Thailand a few times :o

That said, nice call about the buffet, good to know :D:D