Is this the el nino effect?

loong

I have lived in this village for nearly 9 years. Normally from around mid_October to mid_march we do not see any rain.

We have had 4 really heavy downpours this January. I have never known any rain at all here in January.

The cool season has not been exactly cool. The nights have been pleasant enough, but the days have been blistering hot with very strong sun.

We had a downpour yesterday which filled our ong and could have probably filled many more. Such a lot of rain and with all the talk of drought, if only there was a way that it could be saved.

Today has been cloudy all day, the sun did not show itself even once. I cannot believe how cold it is. A light breeze cuts through you like ice. This evening for the first time in a long time, I showered with warm water.

So I wonder is this extremely unusual weather due to the el nino effect or is it a sign of changing weather patterns?

It is so cold here that the Missus has switched off the TV (hurrah, no stupid cartoon sound effects) and gone to bed. She is so cold that she wants to get under the bed covers. Neither of us can remember it ever being as cold as this. Feels like single figure deg, C

Watch the news the past 2 days, Chiang Rai will be cold from 23-26 of Jan and 20% rain. High pressure from southern China.

Out in the field whole day fixing a small bridge, in the morning the temperature was 24°c at 10:30pm, cloudy. At 3pm the rain came, a short shower for 15 minutes and suddenly strong wind. Temperature drop to 13°c at 5:30pm when I went to check the wall thermometer. Wind cold as ices.

Watch the weather forecast again now, it will be 40% rain tomorrow in Chiang Rai and a drop of 6-8°c further in temperature.

As far as I understood El Nino was responsible for the almost non existing rainy season and the flooding and abundant rain on the other side of the Pacific (South America e.g.).

But why the cold spell from China is that hefty this year? No idea yet.

I agree that this weather pattern is exceptional from my memory.

Cold? Yes, around Christmas, N.Y.

But combined with hefty wind, totally overcast and rain? Not what I can remember.

Here in Chantaburi for 6 years and I recall 1 mammoth thunderstorm in January the first year I was here, but normally dry November through to April. This year we've had a few showers this month and closer to the big mountain at Soi Dao they've had lots. Yesterday was big rain in the lowlands but up here on our mini plateau no, a few spits but cold as and today as well. Last year wet season non existent until September when we had exceptional rain until mid-November. Expecting an earlier wet season I think this year, could be the El-Nino but what would I know

My guess is, yes, it's related to El Nino. The warming in the Eastern Pacific changes the patter of the jet streams which affects the weather. I'm surprised that this year it's bringing rain in some places. In the past it always seemed to bring drought, so I would be expecting bad water shortages by September. This cold snap is later than usual. We should have had weather like this last month. I'm expecting a hotter hot season, too, and really hope I'm wrong.

(I posted on the other El Nino thread earlier) Well, this depends on what scientist you talk to. One possible consequence of GW is that as the arctic becomes a little warmer any melting eventually flows into warmer seas making those northern seas currents cooler. The wind, produced by the Norther/Southern Jet Streams, picks that up thus cooler temperatures flows inland and of course it has 'knock on' effects. However, some scientists believe it is a consequence of El Nino which then affects the Jet Streams causing cooler weather to move south. But if all the ice were to melt then the cooling process would stop and all places would become warmer. This is just a general picture and doesn't apply everywhere and are still heated debates (pardon the pun) on this. The root cause is even more polemical, Ha! Some say that the root cause is anthropogenic, some say it happens naturally every few thousand years while yet others say it could be due to the Solar System passing through different regions of space on its journey around the galaxy.

post-247031-0-73070100-1453717070_thumb.

post-247031-0-54368300-1453717098_thumb.

I would guess the natural rhythms of the planet. What most climate changeists don't reveal openly is the enormous periods of time required to change earth patterns. Within 9 years we look at a very narrow slice of climate time. Few know the solar cycles heat our oceans but that the oceans are so enormous it takes 100s of years to have any effect; as it does it affects winds, clouds, etc., changing those cycles as well. This example is considered one more normal cycle of climate. In 9 years we could not detect such a thing. To us the changes we see around us appear shocking and unusual.

It is so cold here that the Missus has switched off the TV (hurrah, no stupid cartoon sound effects) and gone to bed. She is so cold that she wants to get under the bed covers. Neither of us can remember it ever being as cold as this. Feels like single figure deg, C

Official temp this morning here was 9.8 C. Yesterday morning was 27 C. Funny days in the tropics for sure!

El Niño will end in June..

After reeking havok on U.S. Mainland in February..

Hawaii had wettest summer ever.

Same latitude as C. Mai.

I heard this and a lot more on living on earth radio show.

loe.com..I think..podcast from this week can be downloaded

Alohz

Archived