How to make a TV go silent while using headphones.

NeverSure

Hi guys, I often have company and I'm a late bedtime guy. I often fall asleep watching TV. I'd really like to be able to shut off the sound on the TV and have that sound only in the headphones. The headphones are fairly high quality Sony wireless and I actually get better sound through them anyway.

I have another device - a Yamaha digital keyboard that automatically shuts off the speakers for the machine the moment headphones are plugged in.

I'm even willing to buy a new TV if needed, but I just don't know what I need. Anyone please?

Thanks!

Put your TV on it's timer function or get an HDMI cable and put it between the TV and the computer. The sound will come out of the headphones, so if you fall asleep, no one will hear it.

I'm sportn' a 42" LG and use a Microsoft Life-Chat 3000 headset. Fell asleep last night with the TV going. Didn't hear anything. thumbsup.gif

Use your TV's LINE OUT port. (usually a red and white tulip plug). That one gives (low) output independent of the TV volume.

If that doesn't drive your headphones hard enough directly, buy a cheap pair of computer speakers with headphones plug, and use those as amplifier / independent volume control.

you did not say whether you are using a laptop to connect to a tv....or if you have a playbox (like AIS fibre).

In any case, you can just go to your tv menu, select external speaker, and use your audio out. Any other device, feeding into your tv would be line in (or hdmi).

Most tv's have external speaker output and you can plug a miniplug (headphone or speaker) but you have to go to the tv setup menu and specify you just want the external speaker/headphone and bypass the tv speaker.

other option is just turn the sound down on the tv and use your laptop/android/cablebox audio out to you headphones.

again...the device feeding video/audio into your tv might have a separate menu for turning off with a timer. If it is your laptop or an android box then there is software with timers to turn that off. I can write my own software for that (autoit)

OK, I'm not understanding. Let me start over. This only a TV - no computer involved. It is the TV in my bedroom.

I also have plugged some headphones into it. I'm using what I think are called RCA jacks - red, white and yellow. If it matters the headphones are wireless and the base station which plugs into the wall and also the TV with the RCA jacks is also the charger. I just grab the headphones and go to my bed or recliner.

ATM all works well except I have no idea how to silence the speakers on the TV.

Thanks!

OK, I'm not understanding. Let me start over. This only a TV - no computer involved. It is the TV in my bedroom.

I also have plugged some headphones into it. I'm using what I think are called RCA jacks - red, white and yellow. If it matters the headphones are wireless and the base station which plugs into the wall and also the TV with the RCA jacks is also the charger. I just grab the headphones and go to my bed or recliner.

Thanks!

Simply turn the volume down to 0 on your TV you will still get the sound through the line out AV out put.

Use your TV's LINE OUT port. (usually a red and white tulip plug). That one gives (low) output independent of the TV volume.

If that doesn't drive your headphones hard enough directly, buy a cheap pair of computer speakers with headphones plug, and use those as amplifier / independent volume control.

That's exactly how to do it,you need the jack plug like below.

Which Neversure says he has,so as above just turn the volume down if it doesn't automatically silence the TV sound.

post-118612-14536973829103_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Simply turn the volume down to 0 on your TV you will still get the sound through the line out AV out put.

OK, that worked. Thank you, and everyone else. I got a flashlight and looked behind the TV. I had the phones hooked into something other than the Line Out. They worked but not independently of the volume on the TV.

Now I can turn the TV volume all the way down and adjust the volume only in the phones - exactly what I wanted to do.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Cliff

Archived