Where can I do some condo shopping?

Hal65

I plan on driving around eventually but right now I just want a good website where I can look at sales prices and also rental prices for condos in the same building. if anybody knows a good website I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Also, is Thailand one of those countries where sellers overmark the list by 20%+, expecting a heated negotiation? (in the US, sales average a 3.5% discount to list price; of course this varies by listing there as well).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we bought here, the websites were great for getting a general idea of the location, layout, amenities, etc. But nothing beats going onsite. What we saw online, sometimes, was way off from reality!

Here's a few sites I still use when I'm poking around:

http://www.pattaya-property.net/

http://www.thaiproperty.com/

http://www.coastalrealestatepattaya.com/

Not sure if these are still active:

http://www.fairproperties.com/

http://jomtien-property.com/

I plan on driving around eventually but right now I just want a good website where I can look at sales prices and also rental prices for condos in the same building. if anybody knows a good website I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Also, is Thailand one of those countries where sellers overmark the list by 20%+, expecting a heated negotiation? (in the US, sales average a 3.5% discount to list price; of course this varies by listing there as well).

I have some 1 bed units for sale in Serenity wongamat. Fully furnished, great area. Selling at cost price. I am in Pattaya today, if you want to view PM me.

Here's a link to the full details:

http://www.ddproperty.com/en/property/serenity-wongamat-new-1-bedroom-ff-units-reduced-3-994664

Your planning Hal, is ass backwards ! Did you forget location,location,location ? You MUST drive

around first as you cannot believe most web site descriptions. Find a locale you like and THEN use

the Net to plan further . Agents are another serious problem with monologs like used car salesmen. Ihave had experience wirh Bolton/Fair/Heights- Holdings and wouldn't put them at the top of my list

ive got 5 condos in pattaya - all still under construction

Palm Wongamat x 2

Maldives x 1

Grand Carribean x 2

Nothing wrong with investing in property especially nice places you can stay in yourself if not renting out. Buy off plan for better returns...
Granted now there is a bit of a recession due to the Russians currency depreciation. so plenty bargains...
As far as prices go Patts is much cheaper than BKK and better quality builds as most are designed by and for European market.

Will you get your 10% return per year? possibly but thats depends...

Palm Wongamat x 2

Maldives x 1

Grand Carribean x 2

Nothing wrong with investing in property especially nice places you can stay in yourself if not renting out. Buy off plan for better returns...

Granted now there is a bit of a recession due to the Russians currency depreciation. so plenty bargains...

As far as prices go Patts is much cheaper than BKK and better quality builds as most are designed by and for European market.

Yes , but the Maldives has been completely abandoned- I live next door. I hope it will be finished soon , but don't hold my breath.

If you are new to Pattaya I would suggest that you rent first in an area or several areas that you think you might like to live in. My partner and I should have done more of that when we first moved to Pattaya. Once you have settled on an area, you can use the various websites that the posters have put up to get some idea of what is for sale and the prices. I would urge you to buy in foreign quota if possible--despite what some may tell you it is easier to sell a foreign quota condo than one in Thai/Company name. This was another mistake we made in our learning process. There should be foreign quota condos for sale in most projects, either new or re-sales. After a bad experience a couple years ago with a small, inexperienced developer who had never built a project before, we have vowed to always buy from a large, experienced, well-financed developer with a track record if we ever buy new or off plan again. I always now say take your time and do your research (something we didn't always do enough of) and nothing beats on-site observation, talking to residents, etc. of the projects you are considering. Good luck.

Edited by Rimmer
Fonts corrected

Overmarking by 20% would be an understatement in Thailand. The price is based on whether it's the Thai or falang component in a condo. No way will a Thai pay the falang price. Ookeverpricing for falangs is quite common. Whatever the seller thinks they can get away with.

You also need to know what the condo management is doing. There may be a situation where an assessment will have to be paid by unitholders because the maintenance fund intended for major repairs has mysteriously evaporated.

As other posters have suggested, if you see a condo you particularly like, rent there first so you get to know the problems. Things like rusty water, unreliable electricity, or lifts that are out of commission frequently are not immediately apparent. And the day inspection doesn't include the karaoke a few hundred yards away that starts blasting at 7 pm. Under police protection.

Condos here are a bit like marriage - easy to get into, but very difficult to extricate oneself from. You have been warned.

Edited by bazza40

Palm Wongamat x 2

Maldives x 1

Grand Carribean x 2

Pattaya cheaper than Bangkok?

Well if you say so, you must be the expert.

Move to Pattaya and rent for a while.

Now spend a lot of time at bars and you will have many farang approach you in the bar absolutely desperate to get out of their property.

Many people come here with dreams and rose colour glasses. Others having never been laid in their home country become addicted to the sex on tap. Anyway they mostly end up broke and desperately need to sell their property so they can continue living the dream.

Move to Pattaya and rent for a while.

Now spend a lot of time at bars and you will have many farang approach you in the bar absolutely desperate to get out of their property.

Many people come here with dreams and rose colour glasses. Others having never been laid in their home country become addicted to the sex on tap. Anyway they mostly end up broke and desperately need to sell their property so they can continue living the dream.

As someone who worked for a real estate investment company in the US we would call this a high-distress market. You can make good money when you buy (from the equity cushion of buying low). This also increases the rent yield and buffers against a flat market.

I've been here for 6 months BTW.

Edited by Hal65

I have some 1 bed units for sale in Serenity wongamat. Fully furnished, great area. Selling at cost price. I am in Pattaya today, if you want to view PM me.

http://www.ddproperty.com/en/property/serenity-wongamat-new-1-bedroom-ff-units-reduced-3-994664

Blimey - 2m Baht for a 32 square meter box in a development smack opposite another one and with another one right behind it....

Is that what they call "living the dream" ??

Palm Wongamat x 2

Maldives x 1

Grand Carribean x 2

AS investment the numbers dont pencil out..............................

I have a condo for sale in The Vision on Pratumnak Hill. Top of the range project by Matrix, one of the leading developers in Pattaya.

Newly completed,ready to move in - PM me if you'd like to view.

Is that the building where they had to fill the pool with concrete because the building was sliding into it?

Looks like you are getting some pitches of condos for sale. I would say again to take your time--the deals will still be there. One mistake my partner and I made was to under-estimate the traffic congestion and how nerve-racking the traffic can be--especially if you drive a car. If you are only here for the winter months then you might be able to cope at any location but if you are here year round it really starts to wear on you over time if, for example, you are driving from south part of Jomtien Beach to central Pattaya four or five times a week. We finally ended up moving closer to where we were spending a lot of time because we disliked being stuck in traffic so much. If you have been here 6 months I'm sure you have encountered the large tunnel project on Sukumvit that causes quite a bit of traffic congestion as well as intersection closings. But, you may not be aware that it is only the first of 3 planned tunnels and Pattaya will be looking at this same tunnel congestion, or worse, for probably at least the next 10 years. If you don't plan to drive at all, I'd look for a condo on the baht bus line.

Blimey - 2m Baht for a 32 square meter box in a development smack opposite another one and with another one right behind it....

Is that what they call "living the dream" ??

2m for Whites but "only" 1.5m for Thais.

It is a buyers market and I feel certain you can haggle down prices.

This is harder with new build, but I know many people trying to sell condos and they have been on the market for many months.

Many just stick a notice on the communal notice board and sit back.

There is a double tier pricing whereby they try to get a recent arrival to pay more than he needs to... try the second-hand market and avoid the pretty girls selling in the shopping malls.

Pick your area, Wong Amat (nice beaches but a pain to get to), Jomtiem or Pattaya central (traffic).

Edited by jacko45k