Temperatures to drop further in North and Isaan tomorrow

webfact

Wind is so cold here at work i forgot how cold can effect you, 17 c inside and 14 c outside,

I was sent an attachment from Lao and the photos shows snow and cattle dead from the chill,

All my little fish in the standing pool are laying on the bottom. I suppose this means they are dead but colors are still vibrant.

I've seen fish ponds in locations that never get above 0C for weeks at a time in the winter, so goldfish or koi can be incredibly hardy. I think the pond must be deep enough that it doesn't freeze solid at the bottom. I'm sure most of your fish will be fine....

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put on clothes that I have not worn in many years today. I gave away several thousands USD in cold weather clothing when I left the states for good. Damn, I may not need often but I wish I had brought just a few more. Only brought the more "nice" clothes, not work clothes. We had 6 months of below freezing and tons of snow up there, but dry and plenty sunshine. Ahem, no I didn't pay for all of them, I worked for the New Mexico gov't in the high mountains and much were uniform allowance. Damp cold will kick your ass, it was 13 C, never above today-again, a couple of hrs ago here in Udon when I came home, now raining and colder. I have propane cooking one element stove going in bedroom and everything closed off. Will turn off in a bit and not much worry, modern house but old style windows that would cost a fortune to seal. I may be crazy, but not stupid...lol.

My wife was telling me on Skype that it was 13C in Bangkok and she was freezing, at the same time I was telling her it's 13C in sunny north-west France and I'd spent all day out in the garden potting on plants as it was so warm ......

My wife was telling me on Skype that it was 13C in Bangkok and she was freezing, at the same time I was telling her it's 13C in sunny north-west France and I'd spent all day out in the garden potting on plants as it was so warm ......

Obviously not in the tropics (France)....and people forget there are no heaters in the houses here.

After you do your garden, I bet you go in and have a heated room. We don't have that. People are not acclimatized to colder temperatures, as you are.

Edited by slipperylobster

Waiting for the usual government call to distribute blankets to the poor, the same people who gets

blankets every year and mange to lose them somehow, and also the article that

tell us how many people died from the cold.... nothing new under the sun...

easy to understand how they could / would be lost. they all need blankets...and more.

Where can I buy a bathroom heater in Chiang Mai, not one of those silly Chinese oil filled things you find at Global but a proper bathroom heater?

I saw them yesterday at HomePro, some little dinky things starting at 750 baht and something that would actually work was about 3800.

Please be careful with heaters without a chimney inside the house....

Everybody(?) realizes fire hazard.

But then.... Carbon monoxid (CO) causing foul air.

Early warnings of CO poisoning include headaches, fatigue, flu-like symptoms, shortness of breath and impaired motor functions. If exposed to low levels of the gas over a long time, the symptoms can include chest pain, poor vision and dizziness.

Have a good day.

Take care.

Chill when heating.

It is all a question of humidity, i could walk around with just a jacket and jeans in Bavaria at -10 C but i'm freezing my butt of at +16 C here

Frost and black ice on Thai roads could you imagine the carnage.

Probably little traffic, cars don't have heating.

Didn't even realize untill after I bought my car.

Maybe it would be safer, to much wheel spinning to gain much speed.

Waiting for the usual government call to distribute blankets to the poor, the same people who gets

blankets every year and mange to lose them somehow, and also the article that

tell us how many people died from the cold.... nothing new under the sun...

easy to understand how they could / would be lost. they all need blankets...and more.

Actually relatively few blankets are distributed each year. This ignorant meme about the rural and minority people losing their blankets is just repeating racist tinged Bangkok nonsense. Up north there are some blankets distributed, mostly by the Border Police who also run schools in the more remote areas. But go to a more remote rural humble abode and you will see blankets stored in a corner to be used the next cool season. Like most cheap emergency wool blankets, they don't hold up to many annual washings. So there is a need to both replenish the blankets and to provide additional blankets to account for population growth and aging as one blanket shared by three toddlers soon becomes a need for three blankets. So Ezzra, hopefully this post will provide you with some ezra to help you better understand what goes on in the rural north and northeast.

Where can I buy a bathroom heater in Chiang Mai, not one of those silly Chinese oil filled things you find at Global but a proper bathroom heater?

There are no "heaters" for sale in Thailand. You have a bathroom? Where did you get it?

I have seen them on Global House in Chaiyaphum.

BKK is absolutely freezing. This must be a record low.

Nope - if it was only 16 degrees (as it was at around midnight last night and again at 8.30am in the morning) then that's nothing unusual for Bangkok, at least as far as minimums are concerned.

In December 2013 and January 2014, there were a couple of mornings with minimums of around 16C (I think 15 was the lowest on one occasion too) however, unlike now maximums always reached at least around 23 or 24 if not 28-29C by the afternoon. It was significant however that for around 14 consecutive days, the maximum temperature did not reach 30C both in the second half of December and again in the second half of January.

The difference now is that both minimum AND maximum temperatures are many degrees below average, yesterday the maximum I think was only around 20C, while the day before during heavy rains at times, 24C.

However, we shouldn't forget the similar situation to now that occurred back in March 2011. It happened twice during that month, all of a sudden, for a period of 2-3 days first in mid-March then again in late March, Bangkok experienced temperatures in the mid to high teens (min-max) dropping from the usual mid-thirties in the afternoon and mid-twenties in the early morning by almost half just over the course of one or two days.

The record low ever recorded in Bangkok was at Don Muang airport: 9.9C on Christmas Day in 1999 due to a blisterly cold front from Siberia/China that swept through Thailand for a few days in late December/early January that year.

Its Brass Monkeys today,never mind tomorrow.even the cat does not want to go out.

regards Worgeordie

Many people do NOT know the meaning of the saying... Do you?

Oh come on, I agree it's an English colloquialism, and not everyone on TVF will know it,, but 10 seconds on google gives you: "The phrase "cold enough to freeze the balls off (or on) a brass monkey" is a colloquial expression used by some English speakers.". In fact it is one of the few phrases in "geordie" which are comprehensible to those of us who hail from south of Sunderland......

Alternatively.if you live in Lopburi, just follow the monkeys around the local garages, and listen to them asking the proprietors if they can do brazing....

Edited by JAG

Its Brass Monkeys today,never mind tomorrow.even the cat does not want to go out.

regards Worgeordie

Many people do NOT know the meaning of the saying... Do you?

Oh come on, I agree it's an English colloquialism, and not everyone on TVF will know it,, but 10 seconds on google gives you: "The phrase "cold enough to freeze the balls off (or on) a brass monkey" is a colloquial expression used by some English speakers.". In fact it is one of the few phrases in "geordie" which are comprehensible to those of us who hail from south of Sunderland......

Alternatively.if you live in Lopburi, just follow the monkeys around the local garages, and listen to them asking the proprietors if they can do brazing....

Actually, there is some discussion about this expression, it is said that in the RN they used to stack the cannon balls on a 25 dimple brass plate (the monkey)and stack the cannon balls, as a pyramid, on it! When the weather turned too cold the plate shrank and the balls fell off! Just saying!! biggrin.pngfacepalm.gifwink.pngwai.gif