Social Media Surveillance System Planned in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

millions of posts a day, the only way they can do it is to look for certain words. They are scared shit less of social media as they have no power over it, people thinking for themselves just will not do in the new Thailand

I believe that people (in this case, governments) are scared of things they don't know about. Things they think they cannot control. That's natural.

But... as usual, with the current esteemed leader, a high-handed approach is employed. If only they knew, if they can put down their predilection for 'face' and learn how to move with times, be relevant and harness the power of social media. It's such a powerful tool and in my opinion, they're missing the point. Anyway, four words describe these people - low-watt light bulb. And I'm not talking about the LED types tongue.png

i'm considering leaving ... had a great time here for the last 18 years ... i don't wanna get bitter or paranoid so ... thumbsup.gif

ps.

investments: zero

gf's / kids: zero

condo's: zero

isuzu's: zero

STD's: zero

Cambodia is nice this time of year.

Surely most governments around the world are doing this kind of thing already?

Does that make it better?

Define 'better'.

What it does mean is that those who want to flee Thailand over this might have trouble finding a country to go to which isn't monitoring social media in some way.

Once you post something on social media, it's out there publicly. It's best to approach it with this firmly in mind.

i'm considering leaving ... had a great time here for the last 18 years ... i don't wanna get bitter or paranoid so ... thumbsup.gif

ps.

investments: zero

gf's / kids: zero

condo's: zero

isuzu's: zero

STD's: zero

1. Are we to assume you led a very boring existence or did you intentionally not list the number of "happy ending massages"? LOL

2. Curious where you would go next. I know many others are ready to jump this boat.

1. no comment wink.png

2. Portugal, Cambodia, Vietnam, Zanzibar depending on mood. plenty to choose from actually.

If they do this, the most popular social networks will quickly become the least popular. Thus I can't see the companies involved letting the police have access, and in fact may surreptitiously try to block the government even. Considering how big and damaging the government's mouth is, I certainly would block them if I could.

Failing that, users will simply look to newer more secure platforms.

Facebook does have a TOR site just for your information.

Government and Thai people are drifting apart. As you can't control thinking the govt. tries now controlling writing/posting and social networking. Dangerous road PM is walking. It will never work. See Eastern Germany. I hope there will be a review after next elections. But nobody knows when these elections will come...

I suspect that social media is scanned in most advanced countries these days, more since the rise of ISIS and the like and I think that most of the public would rather be safe than sorry if thats what it takes. I doubt the security services in those countries are to bothered about what most people say about the government, it comes with the job ( being a politician) that if you are in charge people dont praise you when things go right but they do complain and make fun when they go wrong, need a thick skin. It should be no different everywhere but it is, different rules for different places. There is an old saying that if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen!

The UK is festooned with cameras, you can barely go anywhere and not be watched wherever you go, your tickets plot your travels, most people dont even think about it, if they did might be worried but there is nothing they can about it, shops, banks, stations, on buses and trains, motorways its everywhere. Most people understand that its there for their own safety and hope the tapes are there if ever they re needed, that someone is monitoring them, that they are all working. They also mainly trust the security services not to use the information they collect for no more than security issues, I would hope that it would be the same here.

I dont do social media.

More thsn Orwellian.

Big Brother is not only watching you but is also building Room 101s in your private lives.

The future really is scarey as THailand becomes the new China when regarding anti-state sentiment.

Free speach will soon be a thing of the past as we slowly head to total mind control my thru states, as they use their power to stop the truth being known.

We might head that way..and nothing will stop then to do it

And the draconian screw continues to turn.

Apparantly, Thailand will NEVER change. It would not surprise me if the junta were to soon announce that the internet in Thailand will be cut off. Shut down the internet and you HAVE shut down social media.

I truely fear for the day that will be upon us sometime soon. I strongly suspect that Thailand will descend into absolute chaos.

We all would be on the roof of our embassies.

It's pretty obvious what is going on behind the curtain but it's impossible to discuss it.

BN-FU464_loglad_DV_20141201095844.jpg

If anybody had to move to a neighbouring state, where would you go and why?

Siem Reap. People don't go there for the whores and only 400 km to Bangkok if I need something. Also, French influence predilection toward cultural pursuits comprising something other than beer bars, karaokes and sod all else.

TV forum subscribers can sometimes get a little boisterous, and no doubt a little intimidating for the local intellectuals (those wise men in the perpetual uniform - do they sleep in them ?). The moderators do a good job in trying to keep on top of those that break the rules (but I'm not sucking up here). We all forget them sometimes.

I sometimes wonder when I am ranting and raving on TV, can my identity be exposed ? And if so, will this be used as evidence for me to be kicked out of the Kingdom, leaving the benefactors of my generosity behind, or worse.

But thinking about it, these intellectuals will need to identify me first to accuse me of heresy. Using possible new legislation would TV be forced to identify me by email address ? I use an overseas ISP, a large one. And I doubt if a tersely worded letter received by my ISP from BIG BROTHER (Phi Chai that is), would encourage them "to give me up". I am sure they would just say "shove off, this is not the LoS".

A comment by a TV moderator would be very welcome.

We can only hope they treat it with the same efficiency they apply to everything else. The 12 million baht will dwindle significantly as funds are siphoned off to private accounts, the remainder will be mishandled, the wrong software purchased, ultimately ending in a few barely literate disgruntled folks ratting on their enemies.

A company is being sought?

I can imagine a state-owned company from Russia, China, North Korea and Syria will ask to compete for the job.They all have experience at detecting and preventing online freedom of speech. The junta can barter for services in rice and rubber, and save hard cash for its military purchases and pay raises. wai2.gif

And the draconian screw continues to turn.

Apparantly, Thailand will NEVER change. It would not surprise me if the junta were to soon announce that the internet in Thailand will be cut off. Shut down the internet and you HAVE shut down social media.

I truely fear for the day that will be upon us sometime soon. I strongly suspect that Thailand will descend into absolute chaos.

We all would be on the roof of our embassies.
...Where you would probably remain if you were British...

More thsn Orwellian.

Big Brother is not only watching you but is also building Room 101s in your private lives.

The future really is scarey as THailand becomes the new China when regarding anti-state sentiment.

Free speach will soon be a thing of the past as we slowly head to total mind control my thru states, as they use their power to stop the truth being known.

Yes but let's not make Thailand out to be unique in this regard and convenientally forget about what's happening in the west regarding free speech.

Let me make it quite clear - free speech is dead in the west too. For example in Sweden, anyone that dares express an opinion against the ongoing islamization of that country, or in more general terms, anyone who opposes the insane immigration of so-called "refugees" risks being slandered with ridiculous terms like "xenophobe", "racist" (this is especially popular towards critics of Islam, which is bizarre given that Islam isn't a race), "Nazi" or other ridiculous terms to shut up any reasonable debate. Certain types of criticism can not only cause you to lose your job, but you could even go to jail.

In Germany Merkel has successfully asked Facebook to monitor any so-called "hate speech" written by Germany based users of the network, in other words, anyone who doesn't express complete solidarity with fake refugees and doesn't agree that foreign refugees deserve to be treated better than German citizens will at the very least have their comments removed, or could even be prosecuted.

The only difference then between Thailand and Europe in this regard (and China for that matter) is the TYPES of topics that are censored. In Europe, refugees, immigration, Islam etc. are considered sensitive topics. In Thailand it's the Royal Family and the present government.

Neither Thailand nor Europe have free speech [anymore]. Just that the degree of severity of punishment, and as mentioned, the types of issues that are taboo are different.

The only difference then between Thailand and Europe in this regard (and China for that matter) is the TYPES of topics that are censored. In Europe, refugees, immigration, Islam etc. are considered sensitive topics. In Thailand it's the Royal Family and the present government.

er... correction. in europe if u say something forbidden by the law (eg. holocaust denial - which i think people should be allowed to deny btw) you might be fined. here you could find yourself abducted or "disappearing" if u don't watch out. for me that is a huge difference. in europe there is no attitude adjustment either coffee1.gif

Expats know the surveillance is already in play.

However, tourists who come from countries with freedom of expression should be warned about making derogatory statements about King, country, politicians or police in Thailand while here or their stay may be extended indefinitely plus massive fines for overstay.

All they need to do is read TV. With the comments made here, they'll throw a lot of people in jail. Any you know who you are. Even with our mods surprised they haven't shut it down already.

The funny thing about it is that the Thai government is making it known that they intend to monitor social media.

Unlike almost every country in the western world.

Or are we living in denial that this is happening right now?...........................wink.png

The difference is that the in the western world it is a process subject to review by the respective parliaments and court systems. There are basic entrenched freedoms that monitoring cannot impinge. Also, there are no laws in those countries that are as powerful as the lesse majeste or martial law of Thailand. In case you missed it, there's is something called due process in the west.

Do you mean the due process used to listen into Merkel's phone calls?

More thsn Orwellian.

Yes but let's not make Thailand out to be unique in this regard and convenientally forget about what's happening in the west regarding free speech.

Let me make it quite clear - free speech is dead in the west too. For example in Sweden, anyone that dares express an opinion against the ongoing islamization of that country, or in more general terms, anyone who opposes the insane immigration of so-called "refugees" risks being slandered with ridiculous terms like "xenophobe", "racist" (this is especially popular towards critics of Islam, which is bizarre given that Islam isn't a race), "Nazi" or other ridiculous terms to shut up any reasonable debate. Certain types of criticism can not only cause you to lose your job, but you could even go to jail.

In Germany Merkel has successfully asked Facebook to monitor any so-called "hate speech" written by Germany based users of the network, in other words, anyone who doesn't express complete solidarity with fake refugees and doesn't agree that foreign refugees deserve to be treated better than German citizens will at the very least have their comments removed, or could even be prosecuted.

Neither Thailand nor Europe have free speech [anymore]. Just that the degree of severity of punishment, and as mentioned, the types of issues that are taboo are different.

and don't forget the poor male that would ever dare to say anything about a female. Off with his head.