5-year-old Australian girl killed in tragic motorcycle accident in northern Thailand

webfact

Tragic - RIP

BUT- i would also say - som-nam-na!

What did the 5 year old do on a bike?

Did any one of the 2 have a helmet? i guess not!

after all this is Thailand

wai2.gif

<removed> Whether or not the parents should have put a helmet on the kid or not, "serves you right" is not the right words to use at the death of a child.

Edited by CharlieH
insult removed

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the most dangerous maneuver for a driver is to turn right or left on the road but there is a very basic rule that most of the thai doest follow... If you want turn you need to show your intention with the flasher... That mean put the flasher at a reasonable distance before to start executing the turn. ( I guess at least 50 feet) but most of the drivers in Thailand will activate the flasher only when they strart turning (or second before) that have the same result that if you turn without flashing at all... The purpose of the flaswer is to show that you WILL turn NOT that you are turning....

Heartbreaking and tragic RIP both persons,it will be very difficult for the woman in particular to come to terms with such a tragety.Now is not the time to go spouting about right or wrong.Far better to try to organise some sort of fund to supply all children with helmets,im sure everyone would contribute in some way or other to try to protect these poor children,and try to give them a life in the future world.

There have been numerous attempts, sometimes by foreign entities that have succeeded in other countries, to give children in Thailand helmets for free. They mostly fail because the attitude is lacking. The helmets are simply left on the shelf at home. Unfortunately, I see nothing in current Thai behaviour that indicates an improvement in this area. Every time I read about suggested improvements in this country, the given reason is along the lines of improving appearance, never about making lives easier or saving lives.

I see some on this forum talking about how heartbreaking an whatnot this is. I'm sorry to say, but I'm not heartbroken at all. When I see the attitude of many motorcycle drivers, grandmothers included, it's pretty clear that they run into the possibility of being killed at any moment. The fact that they take their children or grandchildren with them into the tragedy doesn't seem to bother them one single bit.

My daily drive to work includes driving on a very heavily trafficked, 6 lane road just outside Bangkok for almost 20 kilometers around daybreak. More or less every day I see parents driving their motorbikes on the wrong side of the road, talking on the phone, with 2 or more children on the bike, none of whom are wearing helmets, sometimes without lights or with the headlight hidden by a bag. When people do that, the deaths that follow are murders, not accidents.

Very sad indeed.

I was watching a father dote over his young daughter near Pattaya a few weeks back and she was around five. Mum and Dad put their helmets on and the daughter was standing up front with no protection. I thought the most precious thing in their life, and they don't seem to care about her safety.

It took many decades for western countries to appreciate and then abide by safety laws regarding helmets, seat belts (front and rear) and child car seats. It will be the same and most likely longer in Asia.

In Vietnam most ALL adults wear helmets. I do believe since 2008 they have made and ENFORCE tougher laws to include the kids.

The key is not the law but the enforcement.

Fig. 1. Observed proportion of adults and children wearing motorcycle helmets in four cities in Viet Nam, 2008
08-057109-F1.jpg

Hopefully Thailand will follow their lead. I'd be interested to see the statistics for today, especially in rural areas. My family are from Laos and wearing helmets in the village is generally ignored.

I believe the law on helmets exists.. It is just not enforced.

It wouldn't be difficult. A couple of weeks of frantic activity and the message would get through.

Schools could help - "you can't ride a bike to school without a helmet"?

It would give those chaps who sit in the tents at road junctions at the holidays something to do.

Edited by JAG

I fear for my kids as they get older. I won't go near a Motorbike Taxi, drunk or not. Many grow up on motorbikes , driving down the local shop from an early age , so as

they get older they know no fear and cannot see the danger. Ive often wonder how the pillion riders stay on with ease, I think its where there have been on bikes most of their lives and balance naturally

Sad it is, but it happens almost every day in LOS.

And will continue for the foreseeable future. While crash helmets for kids can be purchased they would be well beyond most people's budgets even if they thought they were worth buying.

Very sad.

Recent Save the Children initiative, 100 bht each.

Where was this?

Riding a m/c is the only practical way for most people in Thailand to travel.

Tragic that a kid was killed, but you can't protect yourself from a hit from behind.

Could just have easily been killed by the same car if walking across the road.

Blame the car driver ....... not the victim.

And will continue for the foreseeable future. While crash helmets for kids can be purchased they would be well beyond most people's budgets even if they thought they were worth buying.

Very sad.

If you can afford 40.000 THB for a motorbike or scooter, you surely have the money to buy a decent helmet, or two,

The going price for a new motorcy is more like 55k+ these days. Most people can't afford the 50k+ and that's why they pay for it in installments. Down payment of 10 maybe and the rest monthly. Most land workers/laborers can't afford a 3-6000 baht helmet. They'd probably have to save another few months

If you don't find this utterly tragic, your heart is black.

wai2.gif

Tragic, yes. But this makes me angry more than sad. Will people never realize that when your head hits the pavement, it is likely to split open like a ripe watermelon dropped from 2 meters high. When helmets are kept in the basket and used only to avoid getting a fine, they aren't doing anybody any good. In Khon Kaen, I often see the driver wearing a helmet and the rest of the family not. Again, just to avoid the fine. We'll just go on thinking that "it can't happen to me" and ignoring the fact that it will.

Five year old on a bike in Thailand, probably no helmet? Parents should have had more sense, but maybe they did not know Thailand is about the most dangerous place in the world to ride a motorbike.

Yeah well done, just what the parents need at this moment in time. Finger pointing!

You right, on this parents not helping the finger pointing, but those hundreds, not only Thais who take children to motorbike (sometimes couple of month old children), maybe they thinking after this. But i don't think so.

There are many families here that only have motorcycle or even bicycle as their only mode transportation. So how will they go to the market, hospital and so on?

I have friends that in the BIG family (26 people with 14 persons working (10 working outside the home/farm), 8 children, 2 studying in the university and then the 2 grand parents that are +80 years old) have 4 cars/pickups (+ a tractor, an iteen and 2 itook), how can they not use motorcycles for their transports?!

Any child dying under these circumstances is tragic. This however is a forum where matters are discussed, opinions raised and arguments take place. For those who write RIP etc what are you trying to achieve. Unless you're sending condolences to the family you may as well keep it to yourself. Are you trying to portray that you're a nice person to forum members? So what? The point is the Aussie parent (I'm an Aussie) should have known better not to allow his 5 year old on a bike with what We assume to be a case of riding without a helmet. I would go a step further and tell u for fact that under no circumstances I would allow my children to get on a bike in Thailand even if I'm riding it. Period. Stop having a go at those who try to argue a serious case.

Edited by sir charles IV

Whatever the reason for the accident , being hit from behind is entirely the fault of the car driver`, probably NOT paying attention. My thoughts arfe with the parents and the Thai family as they have also lost a member as well.

Maybe they were or not wearing helmets BUT the fault is as I have said the car driver.

The biggest scrooge and worry of every 2 wheeler transport is be hit from behind by a distracted

or a wayward driver, while riders of the bike/moto can control what is going on in front and to their

sides, nothing they can do to avoid being hit from behind.....

people always tell me i ride too fast ......this is the perfect reason why its not a good idea to be in the middle of the road going slower than somchai in his pickup

about 5 years i slowed down to make a right turn .......we hot hit by a taxi from behind and the injuries were painful for months .....

Upholding the law from the police and parents allowing a child on a motorbike are obvious prevention along with education for all would benefit in the long term. Alas, nothing will happen apart from a "nar song sarn ".

So so sad for yet another unnecessary death.

Five year old on a bike in Thailand, probably no helmet? Parents should have had more sense, but maybe they did not know Thailand is about the most dangerous place in the world to ride a motorbike.

Yeah well done, just what the parents need at this moment in time. Finger pointing!

You right, on this parents not helping the finger pointing, but those hundreds, not only Thais who take children to motorbike (sometimes couple of month old children), maybe they thinking after this. But i don't think so.

A lot of people are missing the point here, having a 2, 3, 4 or 5 year old as a passenger on a bike here in Thailand is quite normal - what you are missing is that they do not have an option, the motorbike is the only family transport, they do not have the luxury of SUV's and strapped in child seats, just real life here for the majority of people.

Oh, come on! A young passenger on a motosy is indeed 'quite normal' here, but that doesn't make it sensible. How about 4 people on a motosy, that's quite normal as well, but totally stupid. No matter what your economic circumstances are, it's still stupid!

Very sad to hear about this girl's death, very sad indeed. Pity we don't get to hear details of all the other children dieing every day on Thailand roads, maybe the authorities would feel they need to do something.

Very sad.

Recent Save the Children initiative, 100 bht each.
Where was this?

Bangkok, couple of years ago. Been similar a couple of times since I believe.

Tragic - RIP

BUT- i would also say - som-nam-na!

What did the 5 year old do on a bike?

Did any one of the 2 have a helmet? i guess not!

after all this is Thailand

wai2.gif

Wow I guess this site really is full of a####s!

Why are u on it then??

Ever heard freedom of speech?

Freedom of Speech is wasted on those who have nothing to say (and who blabber disgusting, moronic things)

I am aware of cases in which crash helmets are purchased and given as gifts but the adults simply fail to use them for themselves or the children. at times they place them on the drivers head (open chin strap) to avoid getting extorted by police.

as much as my heart goes out to the little innocent girl my intellect wonders how prudent grandma was driving.

the other issue is that as the little girl is australian were there not adequately funded safety measures in place?

The biggest scrooge and worry of every 2 wheeler transport is be hit from behind by a distracted

or a wayward driver, while riders of the bike/moto can control what is going on in front and to their

If they turn right across the front of a car without looking or indicating then they failed to do something that could easily have been done and would probably have saved their lives.

How do you know that the grandmother didn't indicate? Maybe the killer driver behind her was on a phone or texting... Don't assume things in such tragic circumstances

Whatever the reason for the accident , being hit from behind is entirely the fault of the car driver`, probably NOT paying attention. My thoughts arfe with the parents and the Thai family as they have also lost a member as well.

Maybe they were or not wearing helmets BUT the fault is as I have said the car driver.

I have had several motorbikes just turn right without looking or indicating. To place blame on anyone in this accident with such little information from the article is pointless.

If they turn right across the front of a car without looking or indicating then they failed to do something that could easily have been done and would probably have saved their lives.

How do you know that the grandmother didn't indicate? Maybe the killer driver behind her was on a phone or texting... Don't assume things in such tragic circumstances

I'm not assuming anything and should make it clear that I'm replying to a statement that there is nothing you can do to avoid being hit from behind. I say indicating and using the mirrors/looking behind significantly lowers the chance of it happening.

This is a terrible story. But frankly, the fact that she was five years old means nothing to me. Her life was of no more importance than the thousands of others that die on these roads every year. Kids are given favorable treatment in the media. Sure her life was cut short. I get that. But, was she given a high quality helmet to protect her? Would you allow your daughter to ride on a motorbike here, without one? Some responsibility has to fall on the shoulders of the grandmother, for allowing her to drive without a good helmet. 90% of bike deaths are caused by impact to the head. The skull is a fragile thing. About as fragile as an egg, some experts say.

The only thing we know is that a car hit them from behind and killed them, but you want to have a go at them because you have seen other people not wearing helmets? It's strange how people want to put blame on the victims, why are you not talking about reckless drivers who fail to look out for bikes? They were hit from behind, that makes it the cars fault. 90% of bike deaths are caused by impact to the head, most of which are people wearing helmets, a helmet only reduces risk of death by 37%, you have no reason to presume that helmets would have saved either life.

RIP.

Thailand's killing fields claim another victim.

Tragic, but who in the west lets a five year old girl on a scooter? EVER?

i see tourist do it all the time in hua hin. sorry to say they are incredibly stupid people.

I have to agree with you and a couple of others bringing up the probably lack of safety on the adult's part--parents and grandparents. It's a tragic accident, the car driver is ultimately responsible but the moto may have made the turn without checking carefully enough for traffic.

Regardless, the ultimate victim was the little girl. RIP.

I wince every time I pass a motorbike with kiddies and toddlers standing, riding up front, or even between the parents though that's a bit better. Just yesterday I saw two little girls on the back of a typical small motorbike, each sitting sideways in opposite directions.

Puting the kids in helmets is only half a solution at beast, I accept that wearing mine means I may end up a vegetable or in a wheelchair instead of dead but that's not good enough of a choice for kids.